I miss the old Princess

landnsea

On 4/14/2024 at 6:13 PM, TheMichael said:

I’m not even sure they have a buffet at all. There are 20-something “casual/specialty” restaurants, all included in the fare, plus a food hall. 

You're correct.  It's sit down order off a menu type venues plus a food hall concept somewhat similar to the Indulge Food Hall on the Prima Class ships of NCL.  No MDR or buffets on Virgin at all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Obviously teetotalers.  If 50% is dedicated to the MDR and another 50% dedicated to the theater, that would leave 0% dedicated to bars.

No you just a bar in the theater and one in the MDR.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 6:56 PM, Kay S said:

That would be me.  I'm waiting to see if they are serious about TD before I book Princess again.

With the new policy starting in a few months, you'll have your own dedicated dining room for traditional diners like yourself that have pined for the old days. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 11:33 AM, cruising.mark.uk said:

That might be the case for US cruisers, but I'm almost certain that it won't be for UK and European cruisers who make up a good proportion of Princess' passenger base and generally eat their main meal quite a bit later in the day than 5.30 in the UK and much later than that in many other European countries.

So, I sense that on UK / European sailings and North American sailings that attract a good proportion of non-US passengers, there should be be a fairly good split between passengers seeking very early dining and those that are happy to dine after 7pm.  Perhaps the sailings on which this is more likely to become a problem are the shorter North American ones that attract predominantly US passengers?

We prefer later dining.  

• Like 1

The post has evolved into a discussion about dining times, and I have to admit that I was no fan of DMW from the time we first encountered it on the second post-start-up Majestic cruise to Alaska in 2021. When doing B2B cruises, it shouldn’t take a literal shake down cruise to get the seating we want on subsequent cruises, and it seemed that was too often the case. I have high hopes for the new dining system, and only wonder why it took Princess nearly three years to figure that out. 

On another note, I’m also not a fan of too-big, overcrowded ships going to overcrowded ports, but it seems that is what mainstream cruising has become.  Sadly, recent reviews I’ve read about Oceania and Azamara, whuch I’ve always considered my fall back cruise options, haven’t been very positive. 

However, saying that, we are considering (and have booked) a long HAL cruise this year. At first glance, it offers exactly what I would like in a cruise:  a small ship, remote and less visited ports. But getting into the details, I can’t help but compare it to Princess, and, interestingly, most of the Princess options that I would miss on HAL are relatively recent additions, part of the “new” Princess. All inclusive packages that include tips, high(er) speed WiFi, a dedicated vegan menu. Ocean Now delivery.  We cruised for years on Princess without these features, but they sure spoiled me in a minute once we experienced them. 

It’s obvious there is no one perfect cruise line or cruise experience.  Find that one that offers the least opportunities for dissatisfaction and roll with it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

We prefer later dining.  

I'm just curious but are you still working. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Yes

When we were working we just didn't mind eating at 6PM but being retired but now we like to have our main meal at 2:30 PM and have the rest of the evening to relax or do other things. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 555 said:

When we were working we just didn't mind eating at 6PM but being retired but now we like to have our main meal at 2:30 PM and have the rest of the evening to relax or do other things. 

12 minutes ago, 555 said:

Even when we go to the theatre, we generally do not like to eat before, although we may have a cocktail and some finger food to go along with it. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2024 at 1:37 PM, TRLD said:

Back before Princess went away from traditional dining times. You had pretty much the outcome in cruises out of the US, Europe, Asia.

Early dining would fill up first, late dining less full. Then when they first went to anytime they had 2 dining rooms for traditional early, with one anytime, then after the first dining period one dining room switched from fixed to anytime leaving only 1 late traditional dining room. 

For the couple of years before Princess did away with traditional the traditional dining rooms seemed to have far fewer people in then with many either switching out from fixed or just not showing up.

Seemed more Princess reacting to passengers wants and norms.

Many did not like the dining times they were assigned, or did not like the rigidity. Some wanted only 2 tops or dif not like the table mates assigned to their table. Also the increase in specialty dining increased the number of those skipping their traditional dining spots.

In the end the demand for traditional dropped over the years and the industry changed, except for a percentage that wanted the formality and consistency of traditional dining.

It will be interesting how many select traditional dining on the Sun now that it is offered again as well as the new changes coming in Sept.

I remember how empty the fixed dinning room was. Let's see if Princess will succeed this time. I have my doubts 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

. I have high hopes for the new dining system, and only wonder why it took Princess nearly three years to figure that out. 

Yes.  I'm waiting to see if Princess does as it says it will with this system.  I won't consider booking again until I'm convinced they won't go back on their word to provide traditional dining again.   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kay S said:

Yes.  I'm waiting to see if Princess does as it says it will with this system.  I won't consider booking again until I'm convinced they won't go back on their word to provide traditional dining again.   

You can currently have your traditional dining on the Sun and it has been announced of course that the rest of the fleet will be switching to the three dining option with the addition of the American Diner.

How long will it take you to become convinced that their new policy is not just blowing smoke and is in fact legit?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

How long will it take you to become convinced that their new policy is not just blowing smoke and is in fact legit?

Seven months, twelve days, sixteen hours, four minutes and 22 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2