heathrow flight to amsterdam - earliest time?

LeeW

Regal arrives in Southampton at 7 (in theory) on a Monday.  Need to book flights out of Southampton to Amsterdam and think that 12:30 flight should be safe, even with a ship transfer.  Goal is to get to Amsterdam reasonably early in day, so flights out of SOU are out.

Is a 12:30 flight OK or should I book later?

Princess recommends the earliest flight to be booked is 7 hours after the published arrival time of the ship (for LHR).  If you follow that, that would mean, the earliest flight you should book is 14:00.  Lines at LHR can get crazy at times so I would heed Princess's advice.  You also can't predict the traffic conditions.  Southampton is quite far from Heathrow.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 131003.jpg

Posted (edited)

You already know the answer.  Should you be able to make a 12:30 flight?  Yes.  Probably 90%+ of the time.

Then try listing things that could happen.  Ship is late, delay in disembarking, traffic issues en route, delay at passport control or customs (UK not in EU any longer), labor issue, weather.

No idea of your final destination that day, but my general rule of thumb is if I need to ask about having enough time.  I don't. 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

1 hour ago, DUCHESSRN said:

The traffic can be bad to LHR also ticketing and TSA can be slow . 
Lots of good shopping take a later flight and avoid the stress.

I don’t think the OP is flying out of LHR.  I thinks it’s SOU to Amsterdam.

OP stated SOU is out.  So either LHR or LGW.

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Just now, DUCHESSRN said:

My mistake, Southampton is so close .

See below...

3 hours ago, LeeW said:

Goal is to get to Amsterdam reasonably early in day, so flights out of SOU are out.

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

The thread title says HEATHROW.  I would be flying out of Gatwick is SOU is sold out.  Lots closer

If you buy a plus fare EG one which includes a checked bag on BA you will get one free change on the day as long as any seat available in economy. Just don't do online check in, You could book a later flight and then if you arrive early ask to check if you can change to the earlier flight. As long as seats available in the cabin it will work for you.

Lots of assumptions here, but no real answers yet except john1970.  We are NOT flying to the US.  We are flying from Heathrow to Amsterdam, so considered domestic (and out of Terminal 5, without the extensive security issues of a US flight).  Would like to get into Amsterdam as early as possible and the main nonstops are in the 1230 or 1430 timeframe. We've done the Princess transfers for a US flight multiple times and are familiar with how long that takes - looking for folks with experience flying to Europe from Heathrow.

Flying out of SOU means sitting in that airport until 1720 and not getting into Amsterdam city until almost 2100.  Same problem flying out of Gatwick (except Easyjet).  Was hoping to do Eurostar, but timing just doesn't work for that, either.

John1970, that should work. We can live with separate seats for a 1 1/2 hour flight since you don't get a seat assignment on BA until checkin.  Any idea how long it actually takes at Terminal 5 with Brexit?  In the US you usually need to be at the airport 2 hours before domestic flights.

51 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Lots of assumptions here, but no real answers yet except john1970.  We are NOT flying to the US.  We are flying from Heathrow to Amsterdam, so considered domestic (and out of Terminal 5, without the extensive security issues of a US flight).  Would like to get into Amsterdam as early as possible and the main nonstops are in the 1230 or 1430 timeframe. We've done the Princess transfers for a US flight multiple times and are familiar with how long that takes - looking for folks with experience flying to Europe from Heathrow.

A flight from Heathrow to Amsterdam is NOT a domestic flight!

10 hours ago, LeeW said:

Flying out of SOU means sitting in that airport until 1720 and not getting into Amsterdam city until almost 2100.  Same problem flying out of Gatwick (except Easyjet).  Was hoping to do Eurostar, but timing just doesn't work for that, either.

John1970, that should work. We can live with separate seats for a 1 1/2 hour flight since you don't get a seat assignment on BA until checkin.  Any idea how long it actually takes at Terminal 5 with Brexit?  In the US you usually need to be at the airport 2 hours before domestic flights.

You need to buy a map, how is a flight from the UK to The Netherlands a domestic flight 

For European flights at T5 check in will close -45 minutes before the departure time. You need to go through security -35 minutes before or you will be bounced back. I would aim to be there 120-90 minutes before the flight. T5 is very large and it's a long walk anywhere.

If you have status with any One World airline you may be able to use the business class check in.

It might also be worth thinking about buying a business class/Club Europe ticket which allows you dedicated check in, fast track security and 2 bag per person baggage  allowance. You also then get lounge access.

Thanks John.  Sounds like US domestic travel - two hours before flight is about right.

What we really hate about European airports is that they don't seem to tell you your gate until a half hour before the flight and there is very little seating at the gate.  US assigns gates early and rarely changes them, so you can go to the gate more than an hour before the flight.  Gate seating is open here, so if there isn't room you just sit at a different gate.  And you drop your bags immediately on getting to the airport.

1 hour ago, john1970 said:

For European flights at T5 check in will close -45 minutes before the departure time. You need to go through security -35 minutes before or you will be bounced back. I would aim to be there 120-90 minutes before the flight. T5 is very large and it's a long walk anywhere.

If you have status with any One World airline you may be able to use the business class check in.

It might also be worth thinking about buying a business class/Club Europe ticket which allows you dedicated check in, fast track security and 2 bag per person baggage  allowance. You also then get lounge access.

Going to Amsterdam you will have both passport control and customs.  Agree with the gate 30 minute requirement.  At least 2 hours unless you have the business class pass you suggest.

This is an international flight.  GB is not part of the EU any longer.

Lots of experts here.

1230 departure is fine.

It is not a domestic flight.

The only passport control and customs is at Amsterdam.

Liquids are still a problem in your hand luggage at LHR.

Security (it’s not TSA) is a disgrace.

Public transport there (AMS) is amazing and reliable.

• Like 1

Last trip with flight to US had 915 departure group and got to airport around 1115.  Last batch of Princess buses.  They had earlier ones at 715 but we didn't need that early. While we like taking Aquacar, they still have to drive the same roads as a bus and bus is slightly cheaper.

Thanks swjumbo.  The key is where all the passport/customs stuff is.  For a US flight you get it at both ends.

• Thanks 1

Forgot to add, you do need to show your passport when you check in and board but that’s to the airline staff.

Have a great trip.

v envious.

PS. If you enjoy a cheeky beer then the Heineken factory tour is fun!