What form ofpayment to bring; cash or credit cards

HMSDingy

We are a Canadian couple taking a European cruise onboard the Island Princess this August and are wondering what form of currency should we bring. I know the onboard payments are done in US but what about when ashore? Would it be better in cash being the local currency, or a credit card?  

23 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

We are a Canadian couple taking a European cruise onboard the Island Princess this August and are wondering what form of currency should we bring. I know the onboard payments are done in US but what about when ashore? Would it be better in cash being the local currency, or a credit card?  

You are posting this in every forum. The answer is the same for all euro countries 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Euros and credit cards. CC first.

Thanks ands I apologize to all for posting the same question in multiple forums.

2 hours ago, marazul said:

You are posting this in every forum. The answer is the same for all euro countries 

Not that easy to delete once posted here on CC and I apologize for the multiple posts. But you're the only one who seems to have taken exception, One of the reasons I try not to ask too many questions here.

8 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Not that easy to delete once posted here on CC and I apologize for the multiple posts. But you're the only one who seems to have taken exception, One of the reasons I try not to ask too many questions here.

I am not taking exception and you do not need to apologize.  I was only pointing out that you are not going to get any new info on this topic with multiple posts.      

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, marazul said:

I am not taking exception and you do not need to apologize.  I was only pointing out that you are not going to get any new info on this topic with multiple posts.      

I understand and I'll be careful next time.

18 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

There are a lot of customs (and about cards, cash and so on) that apply to the whole EU

It include tips too....

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 3:14 PM, HMSDingy said:

Would it be better in cash being the local currency, or a credit card?  

Which to bring largely depends on which countries you will visit and you give no clue.  If several have the euro as their legal tender, it would be convenient to have a small amount for  really small purchases from traders such as ice cream vendors, or for use in some public toilets or on public transport which do not accept debit or credit cards, otherwise credit and debit cards are widely accepted.

if you will visit any UK ports, the legal currency here is the £ sterling, not the euro, and again, a small amount could be useful.

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Which to bring largely depends on which countries you will visit and you give no clue.  If several have the euro as their legal tender, it would be convenient to have a small amount for  really small purchases from traders such as ice cream vendors, or for use in some public toilets or on public transport which do not accept debit or credit cards, otherwise credit and debit cards are widely accepted.

if you will visit any UK ports, the legal currency here is the £ sterling, not the euro, and again, a small amount could be useful.

Sorry for being so vague. We will be visiting mostly European countries that have euros as their currency except for Gibraltar where I know to being pounds sterling. I have been advised by others that credit cards seem to be taken mostly in lieu of cash. Nonetheless, I do understand that some merchants do not accept any sort of plastic, which means I'll leave our Canadian currency at home since it is indeed made of plastic 😆

For the French Riviera; we've not come across anywhere not accepting cards in the last eight years we've lived here. Maybe more than fifteen years ago there was a pizza restaurant a few miles away that was cash only but it wasn't memorable and we haven't checked it out in a while. I suspect with the pandemic they were probably forced into doing contactless!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

I have been advised by others that credit cards seem to be taken mostly in lieu of cash. Nonetheless, I do understand that some merchants do not accept any sort of plastic, which means I'll leave our Canadian currency at home since it is indeed made of plastic

Pound sterling notes are also made of plastic/polymer

Be aware that while Gibraltar issued  notes and coins  are worth the same as pounds sterling, they are ONLY valid in Gibraltar, so try to use only plastic there to avoid being left with any local coins or notes which would have no value anywhere else..

Edited by edinburgher

19 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Pound sterling notes are also made of plastic/polymer

Be aware that while Gibraltar issued  notes and coins  are worth the same as pounds sterling, they are ONLY valid in Gibraltar, so try to use only plastic there to avoid being left with any local coins or notes which would have no value anywhere else..

Thanks. We've booked an excursion in Gibraltar for which I will pay the exact amount with no change coming my way and will do any sort of shopping in plastic. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As one who does a lot of European travel (am there at the moment) we suggest a combination of major credit cards (MC or Visa) local cash, and an ATM card,  That covers all the bases.

Also notify both your credit card companies and ATM issuing bank of your trip. Some CC companies no longer ask for notification, but it is best to hear that from them.

Hank

On 4/14/2024 at 5:48 PM, HMSDingy said:

Thanks. We've booked an excursion in Gibraltar for which I will pay the exact amount with no change coming my way and will do any sort of shopping in plastic. 

In Gibraltar you can use euro to pay for items such as ice creams.  Not recommended for larger items because the exchange rate a business would offer you is definitely not in the shopper’s favor.  

However there are very few places that won’t accept plastic.  Even a place I occasionally buy coffee from, only £1.50, will take a card.  

It is acceptable to ask businesses for change in sterling - we all know the issue of not being able to use local currency outside Gibraltar.

Enjoy your port stop in Gibraltar.