What Happens When Celebrity Cancels a Cruise

While I have not traveled on Celebrity, I have cruised a number of other cruise lines. It has always been my experience that if the cruise line cancels a cruise that they offer you an alternate date for the cruise (if available) or offer you a full refund.

In the case of my friend, that is not what happened. She booked a cruise on Celebrity for 2 years from now. She paid for the cruise in full at the time of the booking. Approximately 3 weeks later, she received notice that Celebrity was cancelling her cruise and suspending that itinerary. Since there were no alternative dates available for the trip she booked, she requested a refund. What she received was her money back MINUS the deposit of $500.00.

She has contacted Celebrity several times but has been unable to obtain the full refund she was due.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this a Celebrity policy? I would appreciate the communities insight. Thanks.

First , which cruise ? 
Why would you pay in full on a cruise two years out ? 
If she book with a travel agent , was it the travel agent that charger her a booking fee ? 
only time our cruise was canceled we received our deposit back and some OBC when we booked another cruise 

Love the  "asking for a friend" post that lacks information but seems to want a response based on the unknown facts.

Your friend needs to check with whoever she booked the trip with and check the details on any contract she may have agreed to with the booking agent.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

First , which cruise ? 
Why would you pay in full on a cruise two years out ? 
If she book with a travel agent , was it the travel agent that charger her a booking fee ? 
only time our cruise was canceled we received our deposit back and some OBC when we booked another cruise 

Unfortunately, it was a 5 minute conversation as we traveled together this morning. I plan on trying to get more information but clearly she was upset over the experience. I don't believe she used a travel agent since she said she had reached out to Celebrity directly.

I agree with you on the prepayment, not something I would have done on a cruise that far out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Love the  "asking for a friend" post that lacks information but seems to want a response based on the unknown facts.

Your friend needs to check with whoever she booked the trip with and check the details on any contract she may have agreed to with the booking agent.

Unfortunately, it was a 5 minute conversation as we traveled together this morning. I plan on trying to get more information but clearly she was upset over the experience. I don't believe she used a travel agent since she indicated that she reached out to Celebrity directly.

2 hours ago, Luvcruising69 said:

While I have not traveled on Celebrity, I have cruised a number of other cruise lines. It has always been my experience that if the cruise line cancels a cruise that they offer you an alternate date for the cruise (if available) or offer you a full refund.

In the case of my friend, that is not what happened. She booked a cruise on Celebrity for 2 years from now. She paid for the cruise in full at the time of the booking. Approximately 3 weeks later, she received notice that Celebrity was cancelling her cruise and suspending that itinerary. Since there were no alternative dates available for the trip she booked, she requested a refund. What she received was her money back MINUS the deposit of $500.00.

She has contacted Celebrity several times but has been unable to obtain the full refund she was due.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this a Celebrity policy? I would appreciate the communities insight. Thanks.

Booked the Edge back to back cruises in Dec. 2021 for June 2022 European cruise which THEY cancelled;  we were offered the only option of an S class ship which didn't have the same itinerary plus $200 OBC...not very favourable to us...sour apples and sour oranges...LOL.  We transferred the booking to a later date in the Caribbean on an S class...deposit transferred with the booking plus we kept the OBC.  So timeframe sometimes doesn't matter if X comes up with a change which is more profitable for them.

• Like 1

2 years ago we had a b2b booked for 4/18/24 (4 nights) and 4/22/24 (10 nights) on the Silhouette, both non refundable deposits.  Got notified last year that they decided to reposition the ship to Europe a week earlier, thereby cancelling the 2nd leg of our trip. They offered to move the 10 day, gave us various dates and we did the cruise in Feb. They offered nothing for ruining our back to back and would not budge on letting us move the 4 nighter to hook it up with the new Feb cruise. They said we would have to pay the rate that the cruise was at which was like $$3000 more (it was for the PH) 

In the end we cancelled the April 4 nighter but they did return the deposit which was only $300. 
Your friend should escalate this as she should be entitled to every penny back. They cancelled, not her! 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

2 years ago we had a b2b booked for 4/18/24 (4 nights) and 4/22/24 (10 nights) on the Silhouette, both non refundable deposits.  Got notified last year that they decided to reposition the ship to Europe a week earlier, thereby cancelling the 2nd leg of our trip. They offered to move the 10 day, gave us various dates and we did the cruise in Feb. They offered nothing for ruining our back to back and would not budge on letting us move the 4 nighter to hook it up with the new Feb cruise. They said we would have to pay the rate that the cruise was at which was like $$3000 more (it was for the PH) 

In the end we cancelled the April 4 nighter but they did return the deposit which was only $300. 
Your friend should escalate this as she should be entitled to every penny back. They cancelled, not her! 

I agree.  We had so many confirmed plans....air, hotels, tours in every city, limo for transportation.  Took hours to put together and quite a few calls/emails to cancel.  The offer for a Silhouette didn't compare with the Edge.  Never thought of escalating...should have in retrospect.

Edited by Oceangoer2

1 hour ago, Luvcruising69 said:

Unfortunately, it was a 5 minute conversation as we traveled together this morning. I plan on trying to get more information but clearly she was upset over the experience. I don't believe she used a travel agent since she indicated that she reached out to Celebrity directly.

Again, unclear as to the details on how the cruise was booked and any booking conditions for the booking.

Again, we can not give any advice based on what you may "believe" for the conditions under which she booked.

Never let Celebrity have your money earlier than needed; once they have it, you have lost leverage.  I never thought Celebrity would cheat me out of any money because I paid before the 90 days with my TA, but had to cancel a couple days before this due to a skiing accident, but Celebrity tried to keep more than my deposit.  To this day, I am still owed another $200.  The back and forth with my TA and myself always gave a different answer.  Lots of new employees caused a rift.  I was under a completely different policy when I booked, but was told that did not matter, as now it was a different policy.  Well, with Celebrity, there is always a different policy.  

Anyway, please return when you have more detail.

• Like 1

LOL - I recently cancelled a cruise with Celebrity ten days before embarkation and received back every penny of the cruise fare, taxes, fees and purchased excursions.

However, without the specific details of the situation, my experience is of no value to anyone unless the exact same conditions of the cancellation exist.