Anniversary Cruise Recommendations, Please!

Posted (edited)

We are celebrating a very special anniversary in October of 2025. I'm hopeful someone can help with recommendations. My parameters:

Mediterranean Cruise - Ports in Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Montenegro, Sicily, France, and Spain of especial interest

Cruise Start Date between September and November 2025

Room must be reasonably large with decent bathroom size, prefer at least 250 square feet, can be smaller if bathroom is generous

Ideally include at least some drinks, wifi, thermal spa, and special restaurant if on a larger ship

At least 8 day cruise, prefer 10 or more

Prefer a cruise heavy with port days

Would like to keep the price around $14,000-$17,000 just for the cruise specifically

I've been looking at a Magic Carpet Sky Suite on Celebrity Ascent, a Concierge Level Veranda on Oceania Marina, a Club Spa Suite on Azamara Onward, and several options on Windstar ships. I haven't been on any of these before so I'm uncertain how to choose. Hopeful some of you will weigh in with suggestions and helpful comparisons.

Edited by TravelinGert

Silversea have a few that fit your criteria. However, recent reports are somewhat conflicting with quite a few people saying a drop in standards is happening.

We have one booked in the Med for an off season November cruise .... 10 nights visiting Italy , Sicily, Malta, and Spain. We avoided Croatia but there were plenty covering that area.

The pricing structure needs good research as to what floats your boat. A good TA would be worth their weight in gold.

4 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Silversea have a few that fit your criteria. However, recent reports are somewhat conflicting with quite a few people saying a drop in standards is happening.

We have one booked in the Med for an off season November cruise .... 10 nights visiting Italy , Sicily, Malta, and Spain. We avoided Croatia but there were plenty covering that area.

The pricing structure needs good research as to what floats your boat. A good TA would be worth their weight in gold.

Thank you for the reply. I have not yet looked at Silversea. I do have a TA I can talk to, but I don't really have good talking points yet regarding what I'm looking for. Hard to express looking for that certain je ne sais quoi and expect someone to just magically discern what is meant I think.

I look forward to hearing how you like your Silversea cruise. Friends just did a Celebrity cruise they really enjoyed and felt was a step up from their previous Royal cruises, so I had been looking at them. We did some river cruises in the US recently and I really loved the smaller boat experience.

Then I saw a video on a Windstar Med cruise where the Tips for Travelers fellow talked about how the focus for people on those cruises definitely seemed toward time on shore with the ship being completely emptied early and everyone out all day doing. Having more and longer port days was something we both loved about our smaller river boat experiences.

However, I have concerns about the size of the ship at that time of year in the Med, though I am in the process of researching how justified that is. Tips for Travelers mentioned experiencing the rolling of the ocean more on that ship verse recent Azamara or Oceania cruises which are slightly larger ships. I've been looking at those two as well, and they do seem to have some interesting itineraries offered in that time frame.

We have celebrated anniversaries on Seabourn.  They do a fabulous job.  25th Anniversary complete with private menu and a renewal of vows ceremony with 12 people attending.  No extra charges.  

We love the size of their ships.     We did the Encore from Athens in 2022.  Stops in Croatia,  Greece and Italy.  

I hope you find something that works for you.  

4 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Thank you for the reply. I have not yet looked at Silversea. I do have a TA I can talk to, but I don't really have good talking points yet regarding what I'm looking for. Hard to express looking for that certain je ne sais quoi and expect someone to just magically discern what is meant I think.

I look forward to hearing how you like your Silversea cruise. Friends just did a Celebrity cruise they really enjoyed and felt was a step up from their previous Royal cruises, so I had been looking at them. We did some river cruises in the US recently and I really loved the smaller boat experience.

Then I saw a video on a Windstar Med cruise where the Tips for Travelers fellow talked about how the focus for people on those cruises definitely seemed toward time on shore with the ship being completely emptied early and everyone out all day doing. Having more and longer port days was something we both loved about our smaller river boat experiences.

However, I have concerns about the size of the ship at that time of year in the Med, though I am in the process of researching how justified that is. Tips for Travelers mentioned experiencing the rolling of the ocean more on that ship verse recent Azamara or Oceania cruises which are slightly larger ships. I've been looking at those two as well, and they do seem to have some interesting itineraries offered in that time frame.

I've previously sailed on the Windstar Pride (motor yacht) in Iceland.  The small ship experience is certainly different.  I found that people who like a lot of different night-time entertainment options don't fit in well with Windstar, but those who enjoy good food, an intimate environment (you will know, and be known by, most every crew member and fellow passengers), a complete lack of crowds, and focus on ports, will love it.  I've just recently booked this cruise aboard the Windstar Spirit (an even smaller sailing ship).

overview (windstarcruises.com)

The only potential disconnect I see with your requirements may be the cabin size. If you can live with that, Windstar may be a good option. If cabin size is really important, and you would like more night-time options, you can't go wrong with either Azamara or Oceania. 

On 4/12/2024 at 9:59 AM, mnocket said:

I've previously sailed on the Windstar Pride (motor yacht) in Iceland.  The small ship experience is certainly different.  I found that people who like a lot of different night-time entertainment options don't fit in well with Windstar, but those who enjoy good food, an intimate environment (you will know, and be known by, most every crew member and fellow passengers), a complete lack of crowds, and focus on ports, will love it.  I've just recently booked this cruise aboard the Windstar Spirit (an even smaller sailing ship).

overview (windstarcruises.com)

The only potential disconnect I see with your requirements may be the cabin size. If you can live with that, Windstar may be a good option. If cabin size is really important, and you would like more night-time options, you can't go wrong with either Azamara or Oceania. 

I did see the cabins aren't as large on Windstar, but I love some of their cruise options. If it were just myself size would not matter. My husband is a 6'6" dad-bod sort, so he at least needs a bit of extra space in the shower and bathroom areas. As much as I love those Windstar options, I may have to opt for something with at least better bathroom options for my husband's sake.

I've been looking at some of the 20-26 day cruises on Oceania and I really think we'd love the 22 day Istanbul to Barcelona on Marina although there is a 20 day on Sirena which also looks really nice over the period of our actual anniversary. They are a bit more than we had thought we would like to spend, but I think we could swing a concierge veranda on either cruise.

I want to love Azamara but the bathrooms are a concern. We could step up to the suites with larger bathrooms, but if we instead pick Oceania I found a video of a fellow my husband's size demonstrating he fits in even the Ocean View showers. My mother-in-law has now suggested we look at Regents Seven Seas. They do look very nice, but the pricing is a bit higher.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:54 AM, donaldsc said:

Viking Ocean should also be on your list.

DON

I haven't even peeked at what Viking is offering yet. I'll take a look. Do you have a favorite Viking ship, Don?

12 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

I did see the cabins aren't as large on Windstar, but I love some of their cruise options. If it were just myself size would not matter. My husband is a 6'6" dad-bod sort, so he at least needs a bit of extra space in the shower and bathroom areas. As much as I love those Windstar options, I may have to opt for something with at least better bathroom options for my husband's sake.

I've been looking at some of the 20-26 day cruises on Oceania and I really think we'd love the 22 day Istanbul to Barcelona on Marina although there is a 20 day on Sirena which also looks really nice over the period of our actual anniversary. They are a bit more than we had thought we would like to spend, but I think we could swing a concierge veranda on either cruise.

I want to love Azamara but the bathrooms are a concern. We could step up to the suites with larger bathrooms, but if we instead pick Oceania I found a video of a fellow my husband's size demonstrating he fits in even the Ocean View showers. My mother-in-law has now suggested we look at Regents Seven Seas. They do look very nice, but the pricing is a bit higher.

Oceania Sirena and all of the Azamara ships are identical builds.  Each cruise line has four of the original eight R class ships built for the now defunct Renaissance Cruise Line.  Oceania has three newer ships, soon to be four, that are twice the size of the R ships.  EM

3 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

I haven't even peeked at what Viking is offering yet. I'll take a look. Do you have a favorite Viking ship, Don?

All of the Viking ocean ships are essentially identical so it doesn't matter which one you cruise on.  Makes it easier as you can just pick  your itinerary.

DON

8 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

I agree.  The showers on Azamara ships are very small.

DON

You might like to look at Atlas Ocean Voyages. Very generous bathrooms, great food, smaller ships. Drinks and gratuities are included. You get 1gb per person for wifi for free. There is a free sauna (coed) and 2 hot tubs but not a full thermal suite.

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

All of the Viking ocean ships are essentially identical so it doesn't matter which one you cruise on.  Makes it easier as you can just pick  your itinerary.

DON

That does sound great right about now. So difficult to compare.

3 hours ago, Spudd said:

You might like to look at Atlas Ocean Voyages. Very generous bathrooms, great food, smaller ships. Drinks and gratuities are included. You get 1gb per person for wifi for free. There is a free sauna (coed) and 2 hot tubs but not a full thermal suite.

Thank you will do! 🙂

We did a similar cruise for our 25th on rccl ship in a grand suite. Fantastic cruise, we are also big celebrity suite fans edge class has fantastic perks . I would also consider MSc but definitely book their yacht club very similar perks as celebrity edge class. Barcelona is a great place to spend a few days and to start a cruise , just 30 mins from airport. I would try to find a travel agent that you can trust we aren’t allowed to recommend a name on this site.