Celebrity cruise ship going to a port visiting a plantation

beshears

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

In the spirit of remaining on topic, I was also a bit confused as to why ANY type of plantation would be of interest.

i have been to banana plantations because the drivers stopped on the way back. The banana plantation was not even on the excursion itinerary. Have also had tours make an extra stop at rug sellers, leather sellers and ceramic workshops. The guides must have been getting some kind of kickback. Went on an excursion in Jamaica and they stopped at a plantation for lunch on the way back and there were gigantic toads. I never saw toads that huge before. 

14 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

i have been to banana plantations because the drivers stopped on the way back. The banana plantation was not even on the excursion itinerary. Have also had tours make an extra stop at rug sellers, leather sellers and ceramic workshops. The guides must have been getting some kind of kickback. Went on an excursion in Jamaica and they stopped at a plantation for lunch on the way back and there were gigantic toads. I never saw toads that huge before. 

Sounds like a blast and I personally would find giant toads more fascinating than bananas.  To rephrase what I said, it would be like someone saying "I like farms, does Celebrity have any ports that stop at farms?".  I'm not shaming anyone, just pointing out it's an uncommon request

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sounds like a blast and I personally would find giant toads more fascinating than bananas.  To rephrase what I said, it would be like someone saying "I like farms, does Celebrity have any ports that stop at farms?".  I'm not shaming anyone, just pointing out it's an uncommon request

The giant toads were fascinating  I still recall them. We got to pick them up. The banana plantation was interesting too. The banana pickers rode around on sort of zip lines from tree to tree. Not what I would have expected. Also a very high percentage of the picked bananas are rejected for export. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I like plantations.  I like history, architecture, furnishings…I have no problem with any of it.  EM

On a sugar plantation I got a short ride on a narrow gauge Railroad behind a small steam engine. That plantation was pretty interesting. Spice plantation in Granada was cool too. Brought back a few spices. They had to be sealed to bring back. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We can have more "fun" than this...

-"I know it's against the rules to smoke, but would my stateroom attendant bring me an ashtray if I asked?"

-"How do I remove the tips?  I want to leave the stateroom attendant a quarter bottle of vodka I smuggled on"

-"If I say it's for health reasons, will they let me bring my rice cooker on?"

-"Everyone knows pot isn't allowed, but are homemade brownies allowed?"

-"If I sit at a shared table, is it wrong to ask table mates if they're not ordering lobster to order one and give it to me?"

In the spirit of remaining on topic, I was also a bit confused as to why ANY type of plantation would be of interest.  I like coffee, I guess I would go to a coffee plantation but I wouldn't be interested in a pineapple plantation.  However, maybe some folks are gardeners and their dream is to own a plantation or vinyard

One question per post please.  Rhode Island used to be a plantation.  I wonder where people moved when they changed the name?

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The giant toads were fascinating  I still recall them. We got to pick them up. The banana plantation was interesting too. The banana pickers rode around on sort of zip lines from tree to tree. Not what I would have expected. Also a very high percentage of the picked bananas are rejected for export. 

You got to pick up a toad.

A lady posted that she got to pick up ( hold ) the Captain’s cat .

I’m waiting for some old fart to brag about the 32 year old he picked up.

Much more interesting.

I doubt it was on a banana plantation tour and cost a lot more. 
Come to think of it—

People that go on pineapple tours , Why do they hang pictures/stickers with pineapples upside down on their stateroom door?

I’ll bet they get a good “kickback”.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

That’s not what you told your gran gran on Facebook last year!  Ask me how I know.  😂

Anyway have a good time. Lots of folks are looking for comparison stories.

I’m honored that you think I’m young enough to have living grandparents 😉