Celebrity cruise ship going to a port visiting a plantation

beshears

It has been years since I have enjoyed visiting a plantation. If you have been on a Celebrity ship within the past couple of years, and were able to visit a plantation, would you give me the name of the ship, and the port you visited?

Go Chiefs !!!

Ok, here goes :

Years ago we visited a banana plantation in Limon Costa Rica---- Talk about " agony " !!

The cruise lasted about 8 hrs ( ?? ) because it was far from the port--

Anyway---- On the way back our Guide stopped the bus a few miles from the port--- took out a handkerchief , wiped his eyes, and said " I have to tell you, You are THE nicest group I have ever had "---- then proceeded through the bus showing pictures of his kids ( the women looked, the men looked out the window )----- I had a " feeling " of what was coming.

When we got back to the port, a few men ( me included ) tried to get off through the back door ----- the bum had it locked !!  Guess why ??

Correct---- That hug/handshake cost me another few $$US !!

Absolutely true story !!

That's called " Marketing 611 "---- sure beats the "1 Free scoop of gelato" when you become Elite !!

Coffee plantations in Costa Rica and Guatemala are also an education.

One thing that will be learned is why the coffee growers snigger when labeling coffee beans as "organic." 

3 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Beshears certainly wants to find a plantation…

They did the same thing asking about Jamaica. I don't think crossposting makes a good impression nor is it the way to find an answer. What I would do for plantations is go to TripAdvisor and search for "caribbean plantations". Probably get a lot of results. Then read the reviews. 

MarkK, yes I don't deny that I did that, as I did NOT expect ALL of you people to be checking out the DIFFERENT cruise lines that I was posting under. As I said before, the message has come through very CLEAR, and I do appreciate those that did NOT come down on me like some of you, but still received some good answers.

7 hours ago, beshears said:

MarkK, yes I don't deny that I did that, as I did NOT expect ALL of you people to be checking out the DIFFERENT cruise lines that I was posting under. As I said before, the message has come through very CLEAR, and I do appreciate those that did NOT come down on me like some of you, but still received some good answers.

Actually, all you have to do is click on a person’s name to see their recent posts.

Which I only did in the first place hoping to get a clue as to what type of plantation you were looking for. Imagine my surprise when I saw the same post on cruise line after cruise line.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beshears said:

But you never return to follow up when folks ask you what type/kind of plantation you are interested in.  Perhpas if you had taken the time to respond to some of those where folks were trying to assist...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Liao said:

But you never return to follow up when folks ask you what type/kind of plantation you are interested in.  Perhpas if you had taken the time to respond to some of those where folks were trying to assist...

This appears to be a pattern in the individual's other postings.  I also think assistance is needed in how to use a search engine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

You can visit a Banana plantation in St Lucia but not sure it’s going to have what you’re looking for except a lot of bananas

Correct--as evidenced in post #5

A total waste of time and $$--- 

On a positive note----- You are " guaranteed " to see pictures of the Guide's 7,8, " whatever " number of kids. 

LOL--- I'll bet every Guide has the same pictures with the same kids--- 

• Haha 1

Love it when an OP gives little details like what kind of plantation experience he's looking for, and in what part of the world.

Saw an awesome mixed fruit plantation near Goa from theConnie  a few years ago.

Also saw a sugar cane/rum plantation in Barbados from either Eclipse or Equinox. Can't remember which. 

No idea if any of those ships currently have those places on their itinerary. OP can easily find out by a quick web search.

21 hours ago, beshears said:

You know I was browsing your post history.  I’m totally not a stalker though.  I didn’t think it was nice how you put that girl’s pony tail in the inkwell back in 3rd grade.  Totally not cool.

Again I’m totally not a stalker for going through someone’s entire post history.  I mean isn’t mocking people for asking a question a good thing if it makes you feel superior?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, zitsky said:

You know I was browsing your post history.  I’m totally not a stalker though.  I didn’t think it was nice how you put that girl’s pony tail in the inkwell back in 3rd grade.  Totally not cool.

Again I’m totally not a stalker for going through someone’s entire post history.  I mean isn’t mocking people for asking a question a good thing if it makes you feel superior?

Right? And the comment about making a bad impression with posting in multiple cruise lines was bizarre to me. People are so caught up with brand loyalty they can’t handle when others might be interested in sailing different lines to find a particular port or venue.  I have cruises booked on 4 different cruise lines as we speak.

ETA: I’m also trying to decide between Princess, Celebrity and RC for fall of 2025.  The horror! 😱

Edited by vjmatty
ETA

On 4/13/2024 at 1:14 AM, beshears said:

Don’t let the critics get you down, we’re a tough crowd. Nevertheless, this thread has 5 people following it so obviously some people think it was worth posting. 

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Don’t let the critics get you down, we’re a tough crowd.

"Don’t let the critics get you down, we’re a tough crowd" !!!!

Not so true----- UNLESS you question/comment on etc:

1--WHY ya puttin pictures of what you ate on CC

2--WHO Cares who the Captain will be on your cruise in 2026

3--Are YOU serious, NO round tomatoes. NO shredded cheese

4--So, YA met her cat ?? OOOKKKK !!!

5--What would you do with $7.50 of OBC not spent

6--My all time favorite----- My Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, vjmatty said:

ETA: I’m also trying to decide between Princess, Celebrity and RC for fall of 2025.  The horror! 😱

That’s not what you told your gran gran on Facebook last year!  Ask me how I know.  😂

Anyway have a good time. Lots of folks are looking for comparison stories.

7 hours ago, Pinboy said:

"Don’t let the critics get you down, we’re a tough crowd" !!!!

Not so true----- UNLESS you question/comment on etc:

1--WHY ya puttin pictures of what you ate on CC

2--WHO Cares who the Captain will be on your cruise in 2026

3--Are YOU serious, NO round tomatoes. NO shredded cheese

4--So, YA met her cat ?? OOOKKKK !!!

5--What would you do with $7.50 of OBC not spent

6--My all time favorite----- My Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time  

We can have more "fun" than this...

-"I know it's against the rules to smoke, but would my stateroom attendant bring me an ashtray if I asked?"

-"How do I remove the tips?  I want to leave the stateroom attendant a quarter bottle of vodka I smuggled on"

-"If I say it's for health reasons, will they let me bring my rice cooker on?"

-"Everyone knows pot isn't allowed, but are homemade brownies allowed?"

-"If I sit at a shared table, is it wrong to ask table mates if they're not ordering lobster to order one and give it to me?"

In the spirit of remaining on topic, I was also a bit confused as to why ANY type of plantation would be of interest.  I like coffee, I guess I would go to a coffee plantation but I wouldn't be interested in a pineapple plantation.  However, maybe some folks are gardeners and their dream is to own a plantation or vinyard

• Like 1