Holland America not allowing AARP benefit to be combined with TA perks????

My travel agent told me yesterday that Holland America would not allow the AARP benefit and her perks to be combined. I could get 1 or the other. I've never had this  before. Is this new ?

It has nothing to do with renewing my  AARP form with Holland America.

The so called Deals menu is a source of frustration because qualifications are not clearly stated. We’ve been verified for aarp, educator, and veterans but see nothing posted to our booking. At one time it was so easy to validate the share holders perk. Now you have to download an app and jump through hoops. Out TA send me the directions and half way through the process I was ready for a double Chardonnay. On hold with HAL to confirm and gave up.  Other cruise lines we frequent make this process so much more user friendly. Love that princess lets us stack assorted perks and credits without question of their source 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

My travel agent told me yesterday that Holland America would not allow the AARP benefit and her perks to be combined. I could get 1 or the other. I've never had this  before. Is this new ?

It has nothing to do with renewing my  AARP form with Holland America.

I honestly do not believe this is correct unless your Travel Agent has a negotiated special rate that is extremely low or high $ SBC, I know of several instances of Travel Agent SBC from group pricing and personal gift from Travel Agent where the AARP credit was added with no problems. I have found that adding AARP credit takes a lot more persistence. The Over Seas Call Centers people tend to give NO quickly and not willing to try to add it, mostly due to they cannot and they must call into a supervisor. I have found that they do not like doing that and may even just hang up on you if it is something they cannot handle.  Basically to get the AARP credit added it takes in most cases several phone calls and reaching someone that is willing to call their "Lead" supervisor to get it added. The Travel Agent must be willing to not take NO for an answer and must be persistence in telling the agent that you have already sent in everything needed to qualify. Saying you have not sent in required proof is the next thing they give an excuse for after saying it is not combinable.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I honestly do not believe this is correct unless your Travel Agent has a negotiated special rate that is extremely low or high $ SBC, I know of several instances of Travel Agent SBC from group pricing and personal gift from Travel Agent where the AARP credit was added with no problems. I have found that adding AARP credit takes a lot more persistence. The Over Seas Call Centers people tend to give NO quickly and not willing to try to add it, mostly due to they cannot and they must call into a supervisor. I have found that they do not like doing that and may even just hang up on you if it is something they cannot handle.  Basically to get the AARP credit added it takes in most cases several phone calls and reaching someone that is willing to call their "Lead" supervisor to get it added. The Travel Agent must be willing to not take NO for an answer and must be persistence in telling the agent that you have already sent in everything needed to qualify. Saying you have not sent in required proof is the next thing they give an excuse for after saying it is not combinable.

What you have said is so true. I have experienced tremendous difficulty lately on the phone with Holland America.  Especially the hanging up part.

• Like 1

I wasn’t sure how to get the AARP benefit added to our upcoming cruise in September (booked through a big box store TA), but I saw others mentioning sending an email to reservations_submit@hollandamerica.com.

I sent an email late Thursday afternoon (Pacific time) and received a reply within 15 minutes stating that the OBC credit had been applied! Very fast & easy!

I really liked how the Stockperks worked - also very easy. Mind you - in the past all I did was send and email and wait, so not exactly difficult.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 10:33 AM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We just told our TA to speak with a HAL supervisor to get the  $200 in AARO credit added to our in board credits on our Jan 2025 Hawaii cruise .Thanks for the tip 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

I wasn’t sure how to get the AARP benefit added to our upcoming cruise in September (booked through a big box store TA), but I saw others mentioning sending an email to reservations_submit@hollandamerica.com.

I sent an email late Thursday afternoon (Pacific time) and received a reply within 15 minutes stating that the OBC credit had been applied! Very fast & easy!

I really liked how the Stockperks worked - also very easy. Mind you - in the past all I did was send and email and wait, so not exactly difficult.

Thanks I just sent an email. We'll see what happens

10 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

I was able to see my included perks after I posted - it does appear like I may have lost a $50 OBC after the AARP OBC perk was added!

Having said that - I'm not 100% sure where the $50 OBC came from, it just showed up earlier this week, but has now disappeared...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

Per the rules, you have to have your AARP membership linked to HAL before you book a cruise. The OBC does not apply to already booked cruises, just future bookings. Then it is appears -- easy peasy. I also found that once you have registered with StockPerks and downloaded its app, it is a very simple process.

8 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

I was able to see my included perks after I posted - it does appear like I may have lost a $50 OBC after the AARP OBC perk was added!

Having said that - I'm not 100% sure where the $50 OBC came from, it just showed up earlier this week, but has now disappeared...

We found that $50 credit shows as available on your account when AARP is verified. That is just a default amount. In our case, after the correct $200 amount was applied to our cruise, the $50 available credit no longer showed in my husband's online account.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

We found that $50 credit shows as available on your account when AARP is verified. That is just a default amount. In our case, after the correct $200 amount was applied to our cruise, the $50 available credit no longer showed in my husband's online account.

That is likely exactly what happened - thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Per the rules, you have to have your AARP membership linked to HAL before you book a cruise. The OBC does not apply to already booked cruises, just future bookings. Then it is appears -- easy peasy. I also found that once you have registered with StockPerks and downloaded its app, it is a very simple process.

We actually joined and linked AARP after booking - so it was worthwhile taking the time to jump through the various hoops!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WriterOnDeck said:

My AARP membership is  already linked

32 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

Email links above to ask about aarp credits did not work

I guess it’s not surprising that there is inconsistencies…

I realized that I had entered my info in SheerID before sending the email - that probably affected how well it worked for me.

SheerID HAL

• Like 1