Wifi for one day?

dizzyr

Can you purchase wifi by the day or is it just for the entire journey? My parents leave on Sunday for 16 days and they don’t really need wifi but they would like to check in every few days. They just have the basic package no drinks etc so they would have to purchase wifi separately. The only option on the app is for the entire stay and it’s over $500 so they won’t be doing that just to check in once or twice. If they can’t do it by day does anyone know if the ports in Hawaii (Maui, Kauai, Hilo and Honolulu) have somewhere they can get wifi that’s within very easy walking distance from the ship. 

We needed wifi when our ports were cancelled in Iceland and were able to purchase a day pass to contact the tour operator.  Maybe your parents should consider an esim.  We are in our late 70's and have purchased airolo for our last 3 cruises.  It does NOT work on the ship and we have actually had to disembark the ship to use the data on shore but it's very reasonably priced and even I found it easy to install/use.

Do they have internet on any type of electronic device possibly their phone?  If so they should be good while in port in Hawaii.  Not on the ship as that can rack up huge costs.  Hope they have a fantastic cruise.

53 minutes ago, dizzyr said:

Can you purchase wifi by the day or is it just for the entire journey? My parents leave on Sunday for 16 days and they don’t really need wifi but they would like to check in every few days. They just have the basic package no drinks etc so they would have to purchase wifi separately. The only option on the app is for the entire stay and it’s over $500 so they won’t be doing that just to check in once or twice. If they can’t do it by day does anyone know if the ports in Hawaii (Maui, Kauai, Hilo and Honolulu) have somewhere they can get wifi that’s within very easy walking distance from the ship. 

Hawaii is part of the USA.  Thus they will not need WIFI in Hawaii.   Simply make a call with their cellphone for free.  If they are not from the US they can get WIFI nearby every Hawaiian port.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Hawaii is part of the USA.  Thus they will not need WIFI in Hawaii.   Simply make a call with their cellphone for free.  If they are not from the US they can get WIFI nearby every Hawaiian port.

That only applies if you are American which we are not. As long as they can get wifi while in port (as long as it’s very close to the ship) they will be able to use their phones to text or email. 

Edited by dizzyr

21 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Do they have internet on any type of electronic device possibly their phone?  If so they should be good while in port in Hawaii.  Not on the ship as that can rack up huge costs.  Hope they have a fantastic cruise.

Thanks - I’m really hoping everything goes well. My mom is showing signs of dementia so this may be their last cruise. 😥

53 minutes ago, Senga said:

We needed wifi when our ports were cancelled in Iceland and were able to purchase a day pass to contact the tour operator.  Maybe your parents should consider an esim.  We are in our late 70's and have purchased airolo for our last 3 cruises.  It does NOT work on the ship and we have actually had to disembark the ship to use the data on shore but it's very reasonably priced and even I found it easy to install/use.

Thanks I thought about that but they are in their 80’s and I think that may cause them more stress than anything. If my dad can get a day pass that’s probably the best option. My mom can’t walk far but if they can get it near the ship when they are in port that will work too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dizzyr said:

If they can’t do it by day does anyone know if the ports in Hawaii (Maui, Kauai, Hilo and Honolulu) have somewhere they can get wifi that’s within very easy walking distance from the ship. 

You can buy per day. I think it is $20 or $25/day now if not Elite. As of last summer, there was free Wifi for certain in Honolulu in the area of the Aloha tower. Pretty strong too. Other ports, don't know.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dizzyr said:

Thanks - I’m really hoping everything goes well. My mom is showing signs of dementia so this may be their last cruise. 😥

Good luck with that. My daughter lives in Vancouver and teaches at BCIT. Both my parents had dementia and the later stages are not pretty.  Enjoy them will you can and hope they enjoy the Hawaii trip.

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Good luck with that. My daughter lives in Vancouver and teaches at BCIT. Both my parents had dementia and the later stages are not pretty.  Enjoy them will you can and hope they enjoy the Hawaii trip.

I live 10 min away from BCIT 🙂

I really hope it doesn’t get to the later stages but I also hope she lives a lot longer. It’s not easy that’s for sure. 

• Like 1