How easy is it to add someone to booking after final payment?

Kat915

I am past final payment on an alaska cruise and I want to add someone to the booking that needs a wheelchair accessible room. There is one wheelchair accessible room left on the cruise but customer service said that I have to go through the special needs department and they are only available by email.  I emailed them tonight but not sure when I will hear from them and if the wheelchair accessible cabin will still be available. 

Has anyone had experience adding someone past final payment and was it difficult? Has anyone dealt with getting a different cabin with the special needs department?

I am almost tempted to book my sister into the wheelchair accessible cabin as a solo and just pay the extra fare. 

Any thoughts?

Are you currently booked as a single and wanting to add your sister?

Are you working with a Travel Agent/PCP from Princess?

I don't know how you could book her into a accessible cabin now...but have to wait via email to change cabins?

I am currently booked as solo in inside cabin which I booked through the Princess website.  I want to add my sister to the booking and move us to an accessible cabin which is available but probably won't be available for long.

I guess I don't understand why customer service can't do this and just tell me what the additional charge is.

I am worried that an email to the special needs department (which customer service said is the only one that can assist) will go into a black hole or not be answered timely.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

Is the accessible cabin also an inside AND the same fare?  Do you have cancel for any reason insurance?  

Would it be worth cancelling and rebooking under her name?

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Is the accessible cabin also an inside AND the same fare?  Do you have cancel for any reason insurance?  

Would it be worth cancelling and rebooking under her name?

Thanks for answering.  I called customer service again today and gave them the cabin number of the accessible cabin and they said they couldn't add her to my booking and move us to the accessible cabin.  Not sure why it says to call customer service for accessible cabins then. And the special needs group never answered my email.

Anyway, I was booked in solo inside and was trying to get us both into accessible inside. Even though customer service couldn't book the accessible cabin, I asked for what the upcharge would be just to add someone to my current cabin.  It was only $200 more to book her solo in the accessible so I went ahead and did that so we are both going solo.  At least, we are on the same deck and she has a scooter.  Hoping we can get copies of each other keys though since she needs assistance occasionally. 

I had the cancel for any reason, but no one at customer service could get me the accessible cabin and I was running out of time so I didn't even pursue it with them.

I am happy that I got her on the cruise and was able to get her a better flight than I have.

I am happy to hear that you were able to book her in an accessible cabin solo for only $200 more.  That is rare to see that one was still available.  

I still don't understand why they couldn't move you over (if same category).

It would have save you paying for a solo and her paying for a solo.

Yes, they will be able to program your medallions to open both rooms (or give you a separate key card).

I am not sure if the rules are different after final payment.  But since you now have 2 assigned cabins...

1.  Keep trying to see if you can cancel yours....(cancel for any reason) and get booked into hers.

2.  It shouldn't matter where you sleep.  You could possibly just move into her cabin.  Then use your vacant cabin as a quiet get away spot (or extra bathroom).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am happy to hear that you were able to book her in an accessible cabin solo for only $200 more.  That is rare to see that one was still available.  

It would have save you paying for a solo and her paying for a solo.

Yes, they will be able to program your medallions to open both rooms (or give you a separate key card).

I am not sure if the rules are different after final payment.  But since you now have 2 assigned cabins...

1.  Keep trying to see if you can cancel yours....(cancel for any reason) and get booked into hers.

2.  It shouldn't matter where you sleep.  You could possibly just move into her cabin.  Then use your vacant cabin as a quiet get away spot (or extra bathroom).

Thanks.  I will try to get assigned to her cabin and cancel mine.

• Like 1

When you call Princess, ask to speak to a supervisor.  DO NOT cancel your cruise until you are sure you can be assigned to her booking.  

Hopefully, it would be a lateral move and you will get back the difference (that you paid for your solo cabin).

Ask if you can apply your Future Cruise Credit to your new fare.  If you cancel for any reason, you most likely will be offered FCC minus your insurance cost.  

This would have been simpler to do if you were working with a travel agent.

If this can not be done...Then wait until you get on the ship before asking to move to her cabin (or don't tell them that you will be sleeping in the accessible cabin).

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Simple.  It's after final payment so why fill one cabin at a lower double rate when you can fill two at a single supplement rate. 

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

When you call Princess, ask to speak to a supervisor.  DO NOT cancel your cruise until you are sure you can be assigned to her booking.  

Hopefully, it would be a lateral move and you will get back the difference (that you paid for your solo cabin).

Ask if you can apply your Future Cruise Credit to your new fare.  If you cancel for any reason, you most likely will be offered FCC minus your insurance cost.  

This would have been simpler to do if you were working with a travel agent.

If this can not be done...Then wait until you get on the ship before asking to move to her cabin (or don't tell them that you will be sleeping in the accessible cabin).

Thanks good advice.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Simple.  It's after final payment so why fill one cabin at a lower double rate when you can fill two at a single supplement rate. 

True, but they only charged me $200 more for her to go solo vs how much it would cost to book two in that room. (My solo cabin was booked months ago.) They lost all that revenue- we don't get any packages, don't gamble, and get few excursions through the cruise line. 

I think it gets back to ignorance of customer service reps on booking accessible cabins, plus other stuff that I encountered. 

I usually book accessible cabin early on on my own, but my sister was undecided about going. I didn't want to book accessible and be taking it from someone else if she didn't come. Lesson learned. 

Edited by Kat915

29 minutes ago, Kat915 said:

True, but they only charged me $200 more for her to go solo vs how much it would cost to book two in that room. (My solo cabin was booked months ago.) They lost all that revenue- we don't get any packages, don't gamble, and get few excursions through the cruise line. 

I think it gets back to ignorance of customer service reps on booking accessible cabins, plus other stuff that I encountered. 

I usually book accessible cabin early on on my own, but my sister was undecided about going. I didn't want to book accessible and be taking it from someone else if she didn't come. Lesson learned. 

Agree with one exception.  CSRs are put on the phones after a very few hours of training.  As soon as you sense a CSR does not understand or the conversation is going in circles - speak to a supervisor.   CSRs are trained for the basic ordinary situations and sadly try not to ask others when they do not know the answer(s).  Not ignorance, but lack of training/ trying to go the extra mile as a CSR when saying I don't know would be best.

Thus I ONLY call CVPs or my TA.  And I note it took 4 TAs to find an excellent one.  Found on board at a Cruise Critic get together. 

Good luck.  Hopefully common sense will prevail.

1 hour ago, Kat915 said:

$200 more is still $200 more than what it would have been if they added her. Plus they filled a vacant room which might have had to have been discounted closer to sailing.