The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 16th, 2024

kazu

Well @kochleffel, I just got you beat.  I fell taking the large trash can down the driveway, landed on my butt, with my left leg behind me and my ankle  under me...since it is swelling  I'm suspecting sprain.  But the leg hurts more.  The pavement still had a lot of sand on it since the lower half of the hill was what was paved.  I just slipped and still managed to hang on to the trash can.  Not as good as being out in the wilderness, but I still had to finish taking the trash to the bottom, and then take the neighbors dog out for her nighttime tinkle.  I love cats.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

18 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Well @kochleffel, I just got you beat.  I fell taking the large trash can down the driveway, landed on my butt, with my left leg behind me and my ankle  under me...since it is swelling  I'm suspecting sprain.  But the leg hurts more.  The pavement still had a lot of sand on it since the lower half of the hill was what was paved.  I just slipped and still managed to hang on to the trash can.  Not as good as being out in the wilderness, but I still had to finish taking the trash to the bottom, and then take the neighbors dog out for her nighttime tinkle.  I love cats.

Oh ouch!!!! Hope ankle and leg are not damaged. My problem with falling is that if I am down, I can't get up. Glad you can manage. I think about cats vs. dogs every time I have to take mine out at night.... kitties do have an advantage. Take it easy and watch that ankle.

Susan

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good grief!   Is there enough bubble wrap in the world for this group?

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Well, I fell getting up from my desk, with my left leg straight out. I checked later but could not find any banana peel. The sprain is also my left ankle, but sustained 10 days later.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think my first impression was  early Erie Canal towpath, but maybe I've been around Chesapeake and Ohio Canal remains for too long.

Roy

The Erie Canal is about 60 miles north of here. Oddment: after it was built, a subsidiary canal connected the Chemung River at Elmira, a tributary of the Susquehanna River, draining to Chesapeake Bay, to it via Seneca Lake. Seneca Lake's natural drainage is to to the St. Lawrence via the Oswego River and Lake Ontario. So canals tied together the St. Lawrence, Hudson, and Susquehanna watersheds, although the actual movement of water among them would have been minimal.

Little or no remnant of the Chemung Canal can be seen today. Only a block or two from She-qua-ga Falls, of which I posted a photo recently, is a sign marking where a bridge crossed the (now filled-in) canal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

The menu would be OK, but I think that the drink is just lemonade with vodka in it. There is still (since yesterday) no Tempranillo in the Finger Lakes. I'll counter with the gold-winning Stoney Lonesome Estate Zweigelt from the Three Brothers Winery. I haven't been to Whitehorse or anywhere in the Yukon but I watch Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet.

Today was going to be the last sunny day this week, and I wanted to Experience the Beauty of Nature twice, at a forest preserve and a nature center that are very near each other, but there wasn't time. So here is what looks like a rail trail but was actually built to provide utility access for a Corning Inc. facility.

BFT1.thumb.JPG.f56d5f122b5b9ca65620c727ba462caa.JPGBFT5.thumb.JPG.38db5ce042c3358f8e9a01cefb753d43.JPGBFT2.thumb.JPG.7b097d85d32303e486798d7fa6d9cbca.JPGBFT4.thumb.JPG.9ba9d33c35d45992ed86d3e311ac5d48.JPG

Paul , thanks for the pictures.  It looks like a peaceful, relaxing area.

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Hope you got through today well enough to tackle tomorrow!  We tried moving “enough” stuff out of our condo for the realtor to show it but that didn’t pan out. We slipped showing it 2weeks until we were out. 

We have good memories of Ogunquit!  Stayed at the Cliff House in 1994. Had a fabulous lobster pizza from room service because they wouldn’t allow DH in the dining room in sneakers 😳.  Now that we’re “back east” we considered revisiting Cliff House but it is way too expensive now.  Hoping you can find what you’re looking for soon. Keep us posted!  m—

Thanks for the Whitehorse pictures and from the train. I was in Whitehorse in 1984 via road trip. I’ll bet it’s changed!🤣

Yukon is gorgeous!  I lost all the photos to ex… life hirs in and I’ve been fortunate to make more memories than I ever imagined. 

Thanks for your kind encouragement Vanessa, Debbie, Lenda. I may have put more effort into the lodging list than anticipated but it kept me busy. I added distances and drive times from each hotel to the funeral home to help them understand what they’re getting themselves into. Cousins all come from north, DB from NC. We’ll see who can make it. 
I talked to niece, she is exhausted and worried about her dad. We wait. 

Had call about eye surgery- drew first surgery slot, 7:30!  Arrival time 6:30!  We’ll take it!  
m—

Maureen, good news you have a time for DH's eye surgery.

Ouch, Annie.  I'm sorry about your fall, and I hope you can get some relief from the pain.  Icing the leg and ankle, plus elevating it will help.

54 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good grief!   Is there enough bubble wrap in the world for this group?

Debbie, we need a bubble wrap factory for this gtoup.  Maybe we should buy stock in the company.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Leaving Panama and the Canal, the Atlantic (Caribbean) side bridge. This is the newest bridge over the Canal, having been finished in 2019.

IMG_0715.thumb.JPG.4c0b386219dd70b0c9993a38bc99c87d.JPG

Rich, thanks again for taking us with you on the canal transit.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Oh gosh - hope ice, elevating and some anti-inflammatory helps. 

• Like 5