Yet another passport question

My daughter is sailing on 6/1 and we just realized her passport expires towards the end of August. At face value, should this cause a problem? Should she check in with this passport? Should she bring her BC as backup? Any point in bringing her Canadian passport, it doesn't expire until 2026? I feel like I've read, as a US citizen, she has to exit/enter with her US passport? Is 45 days enough time to rush a passport?

I figure, if she travels on her BC and something goes wrong, she still has a valid passport to travel on.

3 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

t. At face value, should this cause a problem?

Not unless your itinerary includes a country with a longer validity requirement. 

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not unless your itinerary includes a country with a longer validity requirement. 

Ah, didn't think about that. She's only going to Bermuda, which I believe only has to be valid for the duration of her stay?

1 minute ago, Candleonwater said:

Ah, didn't think about that. She's only going to Bermuda, which I believe only has to be valid for the duration of her stay?

A valid passport is all that is required for Bermuda. 

I did the passport renewal on February 20 for my youngest and we did not expedite it.  We had it back within four weeks.  If you expedite it, you should get it back in time. I'm not sure if location matters, but we are in metro Atlanta, GA area.

40 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

It may depend on the full itinerary. If the cruise starts from one port and ends at a different port the cruise line may impose a 6 month rule.

It is a closed loop cruise out of NJ. Called RCL and was told she absolutely has to have 6 months remaining on her passport or she will be denied boarding. I've sailed enough with them to know I can call 10 times and I will get 10 different answers.

That being said, I just ordered a new BC for her (the current one is in a plastic envelope but has been taped back together), just in case she needs it to board. Pushing her to go get passport photos and we will expedite everything we possibly can.

Now, tomorrow is 45 days - what time does check in begin?

5 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

It is a closed loop cruise out of NJ. Called RCL and was told she absolutely has to have 6 months remaining on her passport or she will be denied boarding. I've sailed enough with them to know I can call 10 times and I will get 10 different answers.

Would be kind of stupid of them to deny boarding when you can use a birth certificate to deny boarding with a valid passport. The RCL call center people are brain dead. I don’t the check in people at the dock are brain dead, I don’t think they would deny boarding but bringing the Birth Certificate will give you peace of mind. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Candleonwater said:

Perfect example of RCL talking out of their a$$... She told me noon 🙄 I even asked to confirm that it wasn't midnight.

And that time is for the time zone of the port you are sailing from so if you live in an earlier time zone you won’t have to wait until midnight…😁😁

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 1

Unless she has another trip planned that make this a better time to renew the passport, I’d wait to renew.  I’d plan to board with the passport (given Bermuda’s rules).  I’d have BC plus DL available as a backup in the unlikely event the passport is challenged.  I’d renew the passport upon return.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

That being said, I just ordered a new BC for her (the current one is in a plastic envelope but has been taped back together), just in case she needs it to board. Pushing her to go get passport photos and we will expedite everything we possibly can.

Now, tomorrow is 45 days - what time does check in begin?

I realize she is a dual citizen but was she born in US or Canada? I am not sure a Canadian BC would work but I will defer to those with actual experience. 

It isn’t something I would rely on. 

She will need to enter and leave on US passport but carrying Canadian passport with her should work for expiration purposes.

Edited by c-leg5

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't think a Canadian BC would work. The BC is to prove US citizenship. 

The PP has a passport that shows citizenship but I agree I think the BC would need to be US to used as stand alone.  They are a dual citizen so birth country would be important. You suggested bringing BC for “peace of mind” but I was pointing out that may not work.

Edited by c-leg5

33 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't think a Canadian BC would work. The BC is to prove US citizenship. 

A Department of State report of birth abroad, or whatever it's called these days, can be used in place of a birth certificate.

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

A Department of State report of birth abroad, or whatever it's called these days, can be used in place of a birth certificate.

Isn’t that for US citizens born abroad? Does it work for foreign citizens that become US citizens?

6 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Isn’t that for US citizens born abroad? Does it work for foreign citizens that become US citizens?

No. It's for those born abroad with one or two US citizen parents.

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

The PP has a passport that shows citizenship but I agree I think the BC would need to be US to used as stand alone.  They are a dual citizen so birth country would be important. You suggested bringing BC for “peace of mind” but I was pointing out that may not work.

I overlooked that they might have a Canadian BC but just because they have a Canadian passport does not preclude them having a US BC. Or other documents. This all sounds complicated but it should not be since they have a valid US passport. Bermuda does not require 6 months if coming on a cruise and the US has no requirement at all except a valid passport. I personally have used a passport on a Caribbean cruise that had less than six months on it about six years ago because I had a combination of cruises and land trips so I didn’t have a six months window. No one batted an eye or said anything about the expire date. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Unless she has another trip planned that make this a better time to renew the passport, I’d wait to renew.  I’d plan to board with the passport (given Bermuda’s rules).  I’d have BC plus DL available as a backup in the unlikely event the passport is challenged.  I’d renew the passport upon return.

She has enough international travel booked for the next nine months that this is probably the best time.Dropped it at the post office today, Philly receives the expedited application Friday, and we paid for 1-2 day return. Fingers crossed.

Other than the stress, I think the process has become much easier in the last 10 years? I remember struggling to get an appointment at the post office to submit my application.