Driving to Orlando or Port Canaveral 2 Nights Before Cruise

We plan on taking a leisurely drive from Atlanta to Orlando 2 nights before our cruise.  In the past, we have stayed in Orlando and we have stayed in PC before boarding the cruise ship.  This time, I cannot for the life of me figure out where to stay. My wife doesn't care where we stay. We do not plan on going to any parks before the cruise, just hang out by a pool during the day and maybe going to Corona Cigar lounge at night.  Where would you stay, Orlando or Port Canaveral?

I'd never heard of the Corona Cigar Company, but it appears its two locations are in Orlando. I wouldn't stay at the coast to backtrack to one of those. If that's not a must, and depending on the time of year, I'd stay at the coast. (Time of year = water warm enough to swim)

• Like 1

We have stayed in Cocoa Beach several times, and our go to is the Best Western right on the beach. You can usualy snag an ocean front junior suite with balcony for about $250 to $300 a night. Very close to the port free safe parking and lots to do including the beach. 

IDK what types of activities you enjoy, but since you are driving down from Atlanta...you might even take a look at staying anywhere along the coast. I lived in Cobb County for 5 years and I've done the ATL to FL drive many times even after leaving there. You can avoid the turnpike if you decide to opt out of Orlando...and just take 10 over to 95. And there are several things that are of interest along the 95 corridor.

For instance, if you decide that you really want to do leisurely driving, maybe take a look at St Augustine and what there is to do there. It's the oldest city in the US. There are historical sites there. It's supposed to be a cute old town area, very cultural. You could go down a bit more into the Daytona Beach area. There's the Bandshell that has free music concerts in the summer. Mostly tribute bands, but you also don't have to be in the bandshell to enjoy the music. You can be on the beach.

I've recently developed an interest in lighthouses. There's a lighthouse at Ponce de Leon. There's also a lighthouse on Cape Canaveral. The Ponce de Leon one has various activities, including a nighttime walk to the top of the lighthouse. Personally, it's next on my list. I've been to the one at Cape Canaveral; it's on site and so you have to have your tour arranged in advance because you have to have your ID cleared 48 hours prior to your tour so that you are cleared to go on the base. So that's a sort of special thing to do. I did the cheapest tour they offer and it was a wonderful outing. I would recommend going earlier rather than later...that lighthouse heats up in the Florida sun and just get hotter as the day progresses. Hanger C is awesome as well and is part of the least expensive tour.

If there is going to be a launch around your time of being here, I would recommend taking a look at the thread talking about that. If the Courtyard Marriott in Titusville/KSC is a recommended view point, you might stay there. IDK what the pool situation is there though. 

Since you'll have a car, there is a lovely scenic drive on North Merritt Island. There is a fee for it, but it's not much. Black Pointe Wilderness Drive. It's wonderful for bird watchers especially if you are into that. You creep along and you can stop and observe at several points along the way. Plenty of other nature experiences you could pursue around Titusville/Merritt Island if you are into that sort of thing. Historic Downtown Titusville also has a cigar bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd opt for Port Canaveral / Cocoa Beach myself. I'm not a fan of endless traffic, so I try to avoid Orlando/Kissimmee as much as I can. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but I'd rather be near the beach or directly on the beach. I still can't find the hotel we stayed in for our one sailing from Port Canaveral, but it was right by the beach.

We used to stay very near the port but the price of hotel rooms in that area have gone insane!!  Since we drive from the Atlanta area we started staying in Titusville.  Much better rates and only 20min to the port via a leisurely drive on US 1….

If you aren't looking for or are interested in the beach then I would choose Orlando....they have much better hotels and resorts to choose from in Orlando....more to do and better restaurant choices.  Other than the beach and only so so hotel choices there really isn't much in Port Canaveral.

15 minutes ago, bajathree said:

If you aren't looking for or are interested in the beach then I would choose Orlando....they have much better hotels and resorts to choose from in Orlando....more to do and better restaurant choices.  Other than the beach and only so so hotel choices there really isn't much in Port Canaveral.

I agree! If being on or by the beach is not a concern, go farther inland and you can get better resorts/hotels for a better price. We love the beach so when sailing out of Port Canaveral we always stay at the Best Western Hotel right on the beach. A Junior suite with ocean front Balcony was about $250 to $300. We love waking up early for embarkation morning and watching the parade of ships pass by entering Port Canaveral.