Carnival - Premium Internet Plan Multiple Device

22 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

It’s evolutionary and competitive. What was included yesterday may not be included tomorrow. And vice-versa. 
Carnival didn’t charge for internet on my 1980’s cruises and calling home on the ship-to-shore phone was super expensive. 
Skeet shooting off the ship stern was costly. 

Guess what.  If you want it you will pay.  

On 4/18/2024 at 6:54 AM, mfs2k said:

or Princess

Princess would have to have approval from Carnival Corporate to do that and they may not allow something that would negatively impact their main brand Carnival Cruise Line. Unless it was a promo type offer for a limited time to attract guests to Princess.  

55 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Guess what.  If you want it you will pay.  

Well, yeah...  It's a vacation.  Cruiselines don't just compete with other cruise lines.  They compete with all other vacation options. I hear some people actually do something called a land vacation.  The all-inclusives I've stayed at in the past 15 years (Secrets Resorts) had free wifi and free beverages.  It's pretty costly to populate a large resort with wireless access points and provide the wifi backbone and high speed internet from an ISP. Yet these resorts include wifi and it's an attractive amenity. 

I'm curious why there are so many here who defend vigorously the practice of selling low priced cabins then tack on high priced add-ons.  For those of us who want premium wifi, a beverage package, and specialty restaurant experiences, it's not a cheap vacation. I guess for those who don't drink, don't want wifi, and are satisfied with main dining, and perhaps a cabin without a view, they can have that too, but it seems like a 2nd class experience to me. To each his own. 

34 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Well, yeah...  It's a vacation.  Cruiselines don't just compete with other cruise lines.  They compete with all other vacation options. I hear some people actually do something called a land vacation.  The all-inclusives I've stayed at in the past 15 years (Secrets Resorts) had free wifi and free beverages.  It's pretty costly to populate a large resort with wireless access points and provide the wifi backbone and high speed internet from an ISP. Yet these resorts include wifi and it's an attractive amenity. 

I'm curious why there are so many here who defend vigorously the practice of selling low priced cabins then tack on high priced add-ons.  For those of us who want premium wifi, a beverage package, and specialty restaurant experiences, it's not a cheap vacation. I guess for those who don't drink, don't want wifi, and are satisfied with main dining, and perhaps a cabin without a view, they can have that too, but it seems like a 2nd class experience to me. To each his own. 

I do not see anybody defending anything, just stating facts.  Comparing land resorts and their wifi capability, costs etc to cruises is an apple to orangutan analogy.  The cost for a resort to get and offer broadband wifi compared to Starlink costs for cruises is just different. To equivocate wifi costs on land to see is just silly.   I get that you think you want it, but expecting EVERYONE to bear the cost for your want, just seems over the top, but agree on the last line.  If not having it for free makes you go land, then I guess you made your choice.

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

Princess would have to have approval from Carnival Corporate to do that and they may not allow something that would negatively impact their main brand Carnival Cruise Line. Unless it was a promo type offer for a limited time to attract guests to Princess.  

I think the real point is that Princess market and CCL market are not the same, experience or cost.

Just now, mfs2k said:

Your resort bundles the cost in and makes you pay for it. Others prefer to go ala carte and not subsidize you. Choice is good. 

On land, if in cell range, I have unlimited data, including hot spot. We have the technology.

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Comparing land resorts and their wifi capability, costs etc to cruises is an apple to orangutan analogy

You're missing the point.

I'm not comparing costs.  I'm comparing every consumer's vacation options. 

The reality is the cost of production has nothing to do with the price of a good or service.

If it did, then WiFi on Carnival would be cheaper than it's ever been because Starlink is cheaper and faster than any previous system Carnival has ever used. Technology gets cheaper faster better over time, and Starlink is a quantum leap on that front.

Carnival charges what they think their captive audience will bear. In the future there will only be one place on the surface of the earth where you have to pay daily for WiFi and you're allowed to smoke indoors - Carnival cruise ships.

Just now, mz-s said:

The reality is the cost of production has nothing to do with the price of a good or service.

If it did, then WiFi on Carnival would be cheaper than it's ever been because Starlink is cheaper and faster than any previous system Carnival has ever used. Technology gets cheaper faster better over time, and Starlink is a quantum leap on that front.

Carnival charges what they think their captive audience will bear. In the future there will only be one place on the surface of the earth where you have to pay daily for WiFi and you're allowed to smoke indoors - Carnival cruise ships.

The reality is Carnival is not out of line with reality. They have to continually update technology to try to keep up with demand. So does their competition who charge more.

Starlink is polluting space with all kinds of junk that will someday be polluting the ground at our expense. Amazon will be testing their version this year and other competitors are on the way. Starlink is not as great as some think and is gouging on price as much as they can for as long as they can. 

Just now, mfs2k said:

What does any of it have to do with Carnival offering multiple device Internet packages?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The reality is Carnival is not out of line with reality. They have to continually update technology to try to keep up with demand. So does their competition who charge more.

Starlink is polluting space with all kinds of junk that will someday be polluting the ground at our expense. Amazon will be testing their version this year and other competitors are on the way. Starlink is not as great as some think and is gouging on price as much as they can for as long as they can. 

Starlink is far cheaper and faster than anything Carnival deployed in the past. If it was more expensive, they wouldn't have rushed to update all their ships to it as quickly as they did.

Just now, mz-s said:

Starlink is far cheaper and faster than anything Carnival deployed in the past. If it was more expensive, they wouldn't have rushed to update all their ships to it as quickly as they did.

Cheaper and faster, true. Even if it cost more they would update

6 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Post 53 begs to differ.  So, if that is all you are comparing, no cost, on land we have high speed internet….check. At sea we have high speed internet ….check.  Done deal.  That was easy peasey.

41 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Post 53 begs to differ.  So, if that is all you are comparing, no cost, on land we have high speed internet….check. At sea we have high speed internet ….check.  Done deal.  That was easy peasey.

and with a travel router you have multiple device access, full stop

• Like 1

Hello!  I am on the Mardi Gras 1/4/25 and see that the Premium WIFI multiple devices is no longer offered.  It was on there a couple weeks ago!  Anyone else having this issue?  Wonder if they decided not to offer on this particular cruise now...  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this! 😀

57 minutes ago, vahey6266 said:

Hello!  I am on the Mardi Gras 1/4/25 and see that the Premium WIFI multiple devices is no longer offered.  It was on there a couple weeks ago!  Anyone else having this issue?  Wonder if they decided not to offer on this particular cruise now...  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this! 😀

There are a host of different possible reasons.  Their website has always been a little flukey, this is a trial and they are seeing demand, the number they are willing to support may be full, and on and on.  I would continue to monitor and see if it pops up again. 

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are a host of different possible reasons.  Their website has always been a little flukey, this is a trial and they are seeing demand, the number they are willing to support may be full, and on and on.  I would continue to monitor and see if it pops up again. 

Thank you so much for the info!

On 4/23/2024 at 2:36 PM, BlerkOne said:

So all an enemy needs to do is take out an internet backbone, and they have won. We are doomed. How did we ever get here?

Oy... tell me you have no idea why DARPA created the internet to begin with, without saying it.

The entire design of the internet comes out of research into distributed adaptive message block switching - specifically to sustain operation of the phone system during partial destruction in a nuclear war.

On 4/23/2024 at 5:37 PM, BlerkOne said:

Both natural and man made events could cause the Internet to be down for weeks, months, or longer.

No, they couldn't.

They might cause the internet at your house to be down for weeks, months, or longer.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:59 AM, BlerkOne said:

Your resort bundles the cost in and makes you pay for it. Others prefer to go ala carte and not subsidize you.

There is no vacation - land or cruise line - where cost isn't bundled and you aren't subsidizing (and being subsidized).

There are different degrees of it - but ala carte doesn't (and cannot) exist.