Pre-Booking Excursions Less than $50

So we are Platinum and very well versed in the NCL programs.

However, in all this time, we have never pre-booked an excursion which is less than the $50 ShoreEx credit that comes with Free at Sea. 

For our cruise later this year, all our other excursions, which we booked and paid for already, were discounted $50 for F@S, then discounted 10% for being Platinum.  

Example:  Standard $119 excursions, is $69 with $50 Credit, then discounted for Platinum to $62.10.

This is the way it has worked for years.

We are now trying to book Kayaks at Harvest Caye.  The standard cost is $35. 

So, when we book, the price should be "ZERO", when the $50 F@S credit is applied.

But when checking out, they want the $31.50 paid up-front, which is simply the Platinum Discounted price.  

Is that typical for these "less than $50" bookings?

Are they simply going to credit us the $31.50 on board? 

@BirdTravels  I'm sure you know the answer 🤔

Mind you, I have no problem spending the extra OBC when we receive it, but figured I would ask if I am missing something here.

TIA

I believe ( in my opinion), it's a $50 credit for the first person.  The first person gets $50, off, the second pays full price ( less any latitude discounts).  I may be wrong, but that is my thinking of how the excursion credits work.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I believe ( in my opinion), it's a $50 credit for the first person.  The first person gets $50, off, the second pays full price ( less any latitude discounts).  I may be wrong, but that is my thinking of how the excursion credits work.

Yes.  You are correct with the basic free at sea. 

Although we have Free at Sea Plus, which does provide $50 credit to both passenger #1 and #2. 

In either case, the Retail value of these (and other excursions and activities) are less than $50, and it seems for those, the system doesn't take the $50 off when you are pre-booking as it does for any excursion or activity that is more than $50.

For something like this, where the glitchy website is not doing its job, I would call it in and have a human being do it, so that they can book it for $0 or they could tell you why that excursion isn't allowing for the FAS+.

• Like 1

I travel solo, therefore the $50 FAS credit per cabin applies solely to me , when I book an excursion online that is less than $50 its free and no charge is made on check out

2 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

For something like this, where the glitchy website is not doing its job, I would call it in and have a human being do it, so that they can book it for $0 or they could tell you why that excursion isn't allowing for the FAS+.

We actually have a very good PCC that we just hooked up with so I may just message him.  

As I said, it's not a big deal if we end up with OBC.  

Just now, purplecow15 said:

Not sure if the kayaks would be considered an excursion. I know that at Great Stirrup Cay rentals of umbrellas etc not considered excursions. 

Hmmm....We've gotten clam shells and things (day of) for free with the $50 ShoreEx credit at other sites.  However, now that I'm looking online, the Kayaks and Paddleboard rentals do not indicate that they will give the credit, while all the others do indicate it will be appliedimage.thumb.png.5761c568b1c4a1cad8f797b006048196.png

14 minutes ago, purplecow15 said:

Not sure if the kayaks would be considered an excursion. I know that at Great Stirrup Cay rentals of umbrellas etc not considered excursions. 

This is the right answer.  When it’s classified as an excursion, it does apply it directly, here’s an example for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel:

IMG_4798.thumb.jpeg.35d782e72ac6ba487c375dc0d17a65af.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We booked the GoldBelt Tram in Juneau yesterday.  $49 cost, my charge -0-, Larry's charge $41.65 which includes the Diamond discount.

Looks like the kayaks aren't considered an excursion.

Edited by kjquilts

14 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

I was told by someone at the excursion desk that "rentals" don't qualify for the $50 discount.

Based on what I am now seeing online, it seems that is the case.  Kayaks and Paddleboards at Harvest Caye do not get the discount.

It is funny, however, that I can do a 1hr guided Pedalboard Manatee Watch at the exact same time and they will apply the $50 credit.  With our Platinum discount, it is only $17.10 pp.  

I guess we will do that, rather than spend $31.50pp for the Kayak...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

So we are Platinum and very well versed in the NCL programs.

However, in all this time, we have never pre-booked an excursion which is less than the $50 ShoreEx credit that comes with Free at Sea. 

For our cruise later this year, all our other excursions, which we booked and paid for already, were discounted $50 for F@S, then discounted 10% for being Platinum.  

Example:  Standard $119 excursions, is $69 with $50 Credit, then discounted for Platinum to $62.10.

This is the way it has worked for years.

We are now trying to book Kayaks at Harvest Caye.  The standard cost is $35. 

So, when we book, the price should be "ZERO", when the $50 F@S credit is applied.

But when checking out, they want the $31.50 paid up-front, which is simply the Platinum Discounted price.  

Is that typical for these "less than $50" bookings?

Are they simply going to credit us the $31.50 on board? 

@BirdTravels  I'm sure you know the answer 🤔

Mind you, I have no problem spending the extra OBC when we receive it, but figured I would ask if I am missing something here.

TIA

The website is working correctly. Not a glitch. 

The $50 is for shore excursions.

The Kayak or a Clam Shell is considered a rental and the $50 does not apply to rentals. That change was made after the pandemic. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The Kayak or a Clam Shell is considered a rental and the $50 does not apply to rentals. That change was made after the pandemic. 

Thanks for confirming Bird...I knew that something must have changed at some point since I knew things like Clam Shells used to qualify. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

This is helpful. I know that we had used the credit for a clam shell.  Thanks for clarifying and alleviating my own fear that I was nuts!

1 minute ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

This is helpful. I know that we had used the credit for a clam shell.  Thanks for clarifying and alleviating my own fear that I was nuts!

A couple of weeks ago at GSC, we were told by the ShoreEx desk that clam shell could no longer be pre-reserved and that you had to do it on the island.

"o.k." says The Bird.

When we got to the island, there were people with their yellow ShoreEx tickets for clam shells there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

A couple of weeks ago at GSC, we were told by the ShoreEx desk that clam shell could no longer be pre-reserved and that you had to do it on the island.

"o.k." says The Bird.

When we got to the island, there were people with their yellow ShoreEx tickets for clam shells there. 

Well I bet that ruffled the "Bird's" feathers!!!!!

3 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

I was told by someone at the excursion desk that "rentals" don't qualify for the $50 discount.

That is incorrect... we just got off the prima and were in great stirrup caye ans applied the 50 for kayak rentals... it will only apply to the 1st person.. so your going to have to pay full price for 2nd person than the platinum discount off of that. 

I believe distinctions exist between the Kayak rentals and Paddleboard rentals...

The kayaks are an actual guided "tour," therefore, the discount is allowed.

Paddle boards are rented for individual use, without being on a "guided tour".

Unfortunately, NCL hasn't gotten their website set correctly for the differences between tours and non-discounted equipment rentals.  🤔😒

20 hours ago, 7Contraveler said:

That is incorrect... we just got off the prima and were in great stirrup caye ans applied the 50 for kayak rentals... it will only apply to the 1st person.. so your going to have to pay full price for 2nd person than the platinum discount off of that. 

Not the first time someone from

NCL tells guests different info. I just got off the Prima last week and that’s what we were told by someone at the excursion desk. Who knows which is correct.