On Radiance ... all ports cancelled due to issues with propulsion system

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

How? Others onboard haven't exactly felt that way. 

Were you also on board ?  What do you feel they didn't  do for you  ?

I personally thought giving free booze for 2 days was nice for the drinkers on board, kind of eased the pain.  Free internet to scramble finding  flights or hotels .  They also let us stay on board today till 3:00 pm .  Kind of nice breakfast  and  lunch before leaving for hotel.

So as I  stated  I thought the staff did the best they could.  That being said could the powers that be  maybe not board all those people in Vancouver then go park across the bay for 2 days,  yeah.  Should they have given the people who boarded in LA and sat on board for 4 days going nowhere the chose to  leave , sure. The best was made out of a bad situation and all aboard are getting all monies back plus fcc plus extra expenses. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bleueyes44 said:

Were you also on board ?  What do you feel they didn't  do for you  ?

I personally thought giving free booze for 2 days was nice for the drinkers on board, kind of eased the pain.  Free internet to scramble finding  flights or hotels .  They also let us stay on board today till 3:00 pm .  Kind of nice breakfast  and  lunch before leaving for hotel.

So as I  stated  I thought the staff did the best they could.  That being said could the powers that be  maybe not board all those people in Vancouver then go park across the bay for 2 days,  yeah.  Should they have given the people who boarded in LA and sat on board for 4 days going nowhere the chose to  leave , sure. The best was made out of a bad situation and all aboard are getting all monies back plus fcc plus extra expenses. 

No I wasn't onboard.  I was referring to others that were, that expressed their displeasure in this thread.

10 hours ago, JohnnyPro44 said:

I agree 100 percent they emailed us on Tuesday before are Friday departure told us there was a problem said they would update us Thursday and then said they would update us Friday morning never did we got on then told us we weren’t leaving until Sunday at 4 it sucked because most bars were closed nothing really to do staff were saying they should have canceled us before we got on then Saturday afternoon they canceled it’s the same issue as last year is what I was told 

🤕

My brain hurts after attempting to read that.

As of this morning Radiance is still where we left her yesterday at Canada Place cruise terminal. We had been on board since departing Tampa 8 April, and were planning to remain on board until 17 May. Instead, we are in a hotel in Vancouver looking down on “our” ship and are awaiting word on if we will be able to continue the adventure on Friday, or if we are heading back home sooner than expected.

The abbreviated 26 Apr sailing was the shortest cruise distance-wise we have ever been on, 6 nautical miles from the cruise terminal to the industrial dock and back!

Along with everybody else on the 3 May sailing, we are hoping the ship gets fixed in time to sail as scheduled.

Location and distance info from Sat and Sun below, and view from hotel room yesterday.

IMG_8100.thumb.jpeg.1b35262a1cbce2ce624ccacf2c6c456c.jpeg

IMG_9755.thumb.jpeg.1f9cc62aa1b8b39ea042f5ecb9defe6d.jpeg

IMG_9784.thumb.jpeg.237148961b87f12951225d321c387b41.jpeg

• Like 1

Can you tell what the barge is?  Is it a bunker barge (fuel hose up to ship) and only there for a few hours, or has it been there all along?  If it's been there a while, it may be a diver support vessel, and that would lead to the bent propeller blade theory.  If it is a bunker barge, then it may be a failure of the electrical supply to the azipods that converts the AC power to DC, then back to AC to allow variable speed of the azipod motors.  Either one could have caused the "bang" reported as being heard at the time of the failure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PIC33 said:

The abbreviated 26 Apr sailing was the shortest cruise distance-wise we have ever been on, 6 nautical miles from the cruise terminal to the industrial dock and back!

IMG_9784.thumb.jpeg.237148961b87f12951225d321c387b41.jpeg

That 6 nm was the longest cruise I’ve ever been on 😆 

We will be back at Canada Place to board quantum at 2pm today!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, IrishWhisperer said:

That 6 nm was the longest cruise I’ve ever been on 😆 

We will be back at Canada Place to board quantum at 2pm today!

Bon voyage to a longer voyage! Could you report back if you see any work being done to radiance? Much appreciated as I look at my half packed suitcase 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bulldogmommy said:

Bon voyage to a longer voyage! Could you report back if you see any work being done to radiance? Much appreciated as I look at my half packed suitcase 

will do! Hoping they get it all sorted before you travel!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bulldogmommy said:

I have you beat I guess.  Our planned sailing is May 17…our first trip to Alaska. A little anxious maybe?  Hopeful that they will get whatever is wrong resolved.  

I have both my checked and carry on  (since it is a 2-week cruise tour) bags ready to go with only the backpack/personal item left to finalize.  With all of the planning packing downsizing and repacking I’ve done, I would hate to start over from scratch. 😉  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuzD123 said:

I have you beat I guess.  Our planned sailing is May 17…our first trip to Alaska. A little anxious maybe?  Hopeful that they will get whatever is wrong resolved.  

I have both my checked and carry on  (since it is a 2-week cruise tour) bags ready to go with only the backpack/personal item left to finalize.  With all of the planning packing downsizing and repacking I’ve done, I would hate to start over from scratch. 😉  

I think your sailing is safe. I pray, I’m getting off from my B2B sailing and can wave Bon voyage to you 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Can you tell what the barge is?  Is it a bunker barge (fuel hose up to ship) and only there for a few hours, or has it been there all along?  If it's been there a while, it may be a diver support vessel, and that would lead to the bent propeller blade theory.  If it is a bunker barge, then it may be a failure of the electrical supply to the azipods that converts the AC power to DC, then back to AC to allow variable speed of the azipod motors.  Either one could have caused the "bang" reported as being heard at the time of the failure.

Chief, does this image help with any theories? 

IMG_0483.png

Posted (edited)

If she is bunkering fuel she must be preparing to head to either Esquimalt Graving Drydock (Victoria) or Vigor in Portland, OR.  Either way, it could be at least a week or two there if its a full drydock.  Or a wetdock with technical staff coming aboard.  Without knowing the issue, its hard to tell how much work will be needed.

Edited by cruisingrob21

I just got back from a walkabout down past the cruise terminal and Convention Center. They were just positioning what appeared to my untrained eye as another fuel barge alongside midship. No activity at the stern. There was a work barge servicing the NCL Jewel parked behind Radiance, but that appeared unrelated to our little issue. Earlier this morning they tugged in a much larger crane on a barge, which is now sitting out at the end of the Canada Place pier. Again, I have no idea if that piece of kit is intended for us, or some other purpose.

IMG_9808.thumb.jpeg.2a8cd644fa7a5ef7fa3a6d7facc1593a.jpeg

IMG_9806.thumb.jpeg.b0a1adeca7db43174d50292e5c8fd312.jpeg

IMG_9809.thumb.jpeg.fec2aa38bda286aced00e3e1609a55c3.jpeg

IMG_9814.thumb.jpeg.10934fd3f4a54bb698e944ebc2992c80.jpeg

IMG_9825.thumb.jpeg.b4dc1ca49571e7a5571a8d14c147dac1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like many others, just got a no update-update from Royal Caribbean.

It says work is ongoing and another update should be issued by May 2nd! We'll, we're on a plane to Vancouver on the 1st!

Urrr......

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, STEVE-O said:

It says work is ongoing and another update should be issued by May 2nd! We'll, we're on a plane to Vancouver on the 1st!

Urrr......

Wishing you and everyone the best @STEVE-O. In the meantime saying lots of prayers, thinking happy/positive thoughts, and crossing fingers/toes.  Our pre-cruise travels start on May 15 for our May 17 sailing.

Edited by SuzD123

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Regardless of what's going on today, she's going to need to be moved sometime today/tonight.  Tomorrow is a 3 ship turn-around day in Vancouver.

That happened on the 9/1 sailing.  2 ships were in port so Radiance had to move out for the day.  She returned in the evening and work continued.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

Urrr......

I know it hurts the cruise line, but in situations like this, they should give people on the next cruise the opportunity to cancel and re-book. Even if they just offer FCC that would be better than the uncertainty of traveling for maybe no purpose.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bulldogmommy said:

So, this one has vessels close to the aft of the ship??? Not sure if that helps 

IMG_6104.jpeg

Well those two photon torpedo phaser beams being shot into, or out of, those cabins can't be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7