Never done a Cunard cruise....Are we missing out on something????

Kelownabccan

Nibbling at the February 15th Queen Mary 2.....going to the Canary Islands......have never been there ..and the itinerary looks interesting......

not sure if It is for us as may be too "formal"....we just got off the Carnival Panorama with the grand kids and had a blast....water park and all.....and we usually travel "carry on"   luggage on cruises so dress up nights and gala affairs may be too much to pack....lol.....

Any thoughts appreciated....February in Canada is pretty cold....

I look forward to hearing the responses.  I watched another of Gary Benbridge’s YouTube videos this week and he has me convinced to try the QM2 for a crossing.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Nibbling at the February 15th Queen Mary 2.....going to the Canary Islands......have never been there ..and the itinerary looks interesting......

not sure if It is for us as may be too "formal"....we just got off the Carnival Panorama with the grand kids and had a blast....water park and all.....and we usually travel "carry on"   luggage on cruises so dress up nights and gala affairs may be too much to pack....lol.....

Carnival and Cunard are very different, but plenty of passengers enjoy both. Don’t expect them to be alike and you’ll have a nice time. You can avoid the Gala Nights, but they are one of the things that make Cunard distinctive, and one of the things most passengers most enjoy. So you might feel you were missing out if you didn’t participate.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kelownabccan said:

February 15th Queen Mary 2

Is that M504 14 nights to Canaries starting and ending at Southampton?

As far as I'm aware most flights between Canada and Europe allow a full size carry on and a smaller under-seat bag each. That's about 120 litres of space between two passengers. We wouldn't have a problem dressing to a standard that we could attend any venue every night with that amount of luggage. We wouldn't of course because we're happy to take a checked case each that gives us at least 160 litres more.

The laundrettes on QM2 are free to use. There is also a laundry service, with what we consider to be good prices. You can bring a minimum quantity of the sort of outfits required and if needed they can be cleaned.

I've attached screenshots of the dress code guidance you'll find on board, which in my opinion is much clearer than the website or brochures.

If the man can force himself to wear a long sleeved collared shirt and dark trousers most nights (smart attire), and add a dark jacket and tie on probably four Gala nights, then he can participate in everything. I would add a tux and bow tie to that.

Ladies can choose elegant, glitzy or whatever. Unless they wear jeans and tee shirt every night nobody is going to notice.

This is a bit alien for us because the only reasons we go on QM2 are to dress up as much as possible and dance.  But if that's not your thing it is easy enough to do the minimum.

You won't find water slides. But there's a huge variety of musical entertainment, activities, enrichment lectures etc, plus six port days in places that shouldn't be too cold at that time of year, although deepest winter by our standards!

GalaEvening.thumb.jpg.e9d9f996c6da0d4dc733b7a15f579945.jpg

SmartAttire.thumb.jpg.4900bc17ba198a46902e957646eb343f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The experience you had on the Carnival ship is very different from the Cunard experience.

(We enjoy fun-in-the-sun cruises too... but we choose other lines when we want that kind of cruise, quite honestly.)

Cunard is much more of an elegant cruise.

For me it is the closest to what I dreamed of experiencing when I watched classic movies.

The dress code makes the ship very lovely at night. The traditional nature of Cunard is very beloved by so many who choose the line. That does not make the experience stuffy- it just makes it special for all.

When we choose Cunard we do so because of the tradition, history, and the beauty... and yes, their itineraries are great.

So if you choose them, I say embrace the tradition of Cunard and have a great time because it is different.

They say when in Rome do as the Romans do... So just change it...

When on Cunard, do as the Cunarders do.

• Like 4

Interesting comments so far.....I mentioned the Carnival one as we had just done it last week with the grand kids..my wife and I must have been the oldest ones going down the water slides in races against the kids.......actually was quite impressed with Carnival  as we usually do HAL or Princess.....and have also done lots of other lines also.....We have taken a large suitcase on long cruises and used the laundry so not a big thing to dress up and be smart casual....lol.....do wonder if it might be tooooo much of "dress up" and dancing as one other poster said.....we still love the disco....fondly remember the 70's....haha.....

Will keep looking ....sounds like a cruise line to try once anyways.....

Thanks for comments to "wet my whistle"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

do wonder if it might be tooooo much of "dress up" and dancing as one other poster said

Ballroom and latin dancers are in a minority, although there are far more of them than other lines. Most people will go to shows in the two theatres or listen to an act in the four main lounges.

We found the disco to be quiet between 9.30pm and 11pm. That might have been partly as the ship wasn't completely full after the pandemic. I believe it livened up later.

Because The Queens Room and G32 are beside each other (you need to pass through Queens Room to get to G32) we could flit between the two depending on what the music was like. We often preferred what the disco band was playing.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Hope my perspective, as a first time Cunard cruiser who is not into dressing up and dancing, will be helpful.

You can get away without dressing up on formal nights. For meals, you can opt for room service or Kings Court (buffet restaurant). Generally speaking, for evening events, dress code is enforced in public areas. Last night was formal night and I witnessed a gentleman being asked to leave Britannia Restaurant, as he was not in compliance with the dress code in effect.

During day time, what distinguishes QM2 from other cruise lines is the onboard library, a good lecture program (Cunard Insights), as well as handcraft and watercolor painting classes. The planetarium is a unique experience, although the shows might not be of everybody's interest.

Hope this helps determining if Cunard is a good fit for your travel needs.

Edited by tjunmin
  • Like 8

It is not that difficult to meet the minimum dress requirements to access all public areas of the ship on Formal nights after 6pm,

Men dark suit , women nice dress. Collared shirt , jacket not required on Smart Casual.

It is all there on th Cunard website.

Going on our 18th Cunard sailing meeting minimum requirements, and not feeling out of place.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

It is not that difficult to meet the minimum dress requirements to access all public areas of the ship on Formal nights after 6pm,

Men dark suit , women nice dress. Collared shirt , jacket not required on Smart Casual.

It is all there on th Cunard website.

Going on our 18th Cunard sailing meeting minimum requirements, and not feeling out of place.

For those who don't want to take jackets or any form of  formal wear, meeting minium or maximum advisories, Cunard ships have accessible areas where one can dine and spend an evening around without meeting any formal standards, which was part of the gist of the opening post, not how easy it is to meet any minimum gala standards.

As a non dancer too Kelownabccan, disregard any thoughts ballroom dancing  forms a large part of passengers  reasoning to cruise Cunard. It's very popular but the majority of passengers will either be onlookers or will have no interest.

My advice would be to give Cunard a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised and want to come back for more. 🙂

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I agree with @Victoria2... yes, people who love to ballroom dance love Cunard because they have a wonderful opportunity to do so.

That said, many people enjoy watching the dancers in the Queens Room as they travel on to the other things and activities on board at night.

We love hearing the incredible live-music on board with a lovely cocktail in hand.

We also enjoy walking the promenade in the evenings.

You make your evening on Cunard what you want it to be.

Edited by naturelovergirl
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

We are booked on this cruise M504. Please don't get hung on whether Cubard is 'too formal'. It isn't!

We did the Canary Islands cruise on QE back in Oct 2018 and absolutely loved every minute of it and had no hesitation in booking this cruise.

I've no doubt that if you do decide to book, you will not be disappointed. We can't wait to embark although it still seems far off. 

Maybe see you onboard?

• Like 2

Went on  the computer and watched a few videos that people have done while cruising on the Mary 2....a true ocean liner....not a cruise ship was the general theme.....and very elegant....would be nice to go back 25 years in time to our first cruise when the ships were mostly all like that with the gala nights and most people "gussied up"...lol........could not believe the library on the ship.....that is an area that most ships do not have now....no one sits and watches the world go by and reads much anymore.....just stare at phones....haha....the last cruise we did  the Panorama never got any wifi package....did not miss it....

Suppose if the price is right may give it a try as do like to wear my suit and wife loves her dresses....although flying to Britain in February is sill pretty expensive from Canada.....and we do get free luggage perks....a bonus.....but still lugging large cases is still a pain and hard on us....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dock said:

Why don’t you consider one of the cruises from NYC to QC. Cheaper and shorter flights. 

Well not sure what QC is but from here to NYC is over a 6 hr flight....so what the heck....3 more to Britain as only about 9 hrs.....lol.....flying time ....not including the layover.....it seems to be a marathon to go anywhere......even from here to LA last week was 6 hrs  including stops....

@Kelownabccan, Quebec City.

Didnt realise no direct flights  to these cities from your area. 

I can remember the shlep from Saskatoon to anywhere. One of the reasons we moved East and not further West when given the choice. 

3 hours ago, dock said:

Why don’t you consider one of the cruises from NYC to QC. Cheaper and shorter flights. 

Booked one for Sep…. 2026… nothing like preparing early. 

But am from UK, so flying to NYC and back from Montreal…transatlantic flights no big deal 😉

1 hour ago, Kelownabccan said:

Well not sure what QC is but from here to NYC is over a 6 hr flight....so what the heck....3 more to Britain as only about 9 hrs.....lol.....flying time ....not including the layover.....it seems to be a marathon to go anywhere......even from here to LA last week was 6 hrs  including stops....

Also I get the impression you would be glad of some winter warmth.

4 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Went on  the computer and watched a few videos that people have done while cruising on the Mary 2....a true ocean liner....not a cruise ship was the general theme.....and very elegant....would be nice to go back 25 years in time to our first cruise when the ships were mostly all like that with the gala nights and most people "gussied up"...lol........could not believe the library on the ship.....that is an area that most ships do not have now....no one sits and watches the world go by and reads much anymore.....just stare at phones....haha....the last cruise we did  the Panorama never got any wifi package....did not miss it....

Suppose if the price is right may give it a try as do like to wear my suit and wife loves her dresses....although flying to Britain in February is sill pretty expensive from Canada.....and we do get free luggage perks....a bonus.....but still lugging large cases is still a pain and hard on us....

Staring at phones was a bit pointless on QM2 with the “internet” as it was but Starlink may mean a bit more staring. 

Give QM2 a go if you can. 

23 hours ago, D&N said:

If the man can force himself to wear a long sleeved collared shirt and dark trousers most nights (smart attire), and add a dark jacket and tie on probably four Gala nights, then he can participate in everything.

I should probably clarify my thought process behind this part of my earlier post as I believe some may have thought I was claiming this was the specified dress code. I didn't intend it to be read in that way, and I don't think I claimed it was. The thought was that by choosing that combination then adding the jacket and tie for gala nights would save packing anything else. Theoretically 1 x shirt, 1 x tie, 1 x dark jacket, 1 x pair of dark trousers, would cover every night for two weeks, if you could keep them clean and they didn't smell! 🤣

And apologies to @buchanan101, who was so keen to jump down my throat and fell victim to moderation!

I'm sure this won't last long either! It's only a bit of fun.

I do love that we receive emails about posts that we then discover "never existed". 🤣

Ah.....QC....Quebec city......lol....have done the Eastern seaboard a few times....in the Fall for all the so called colors....haha.......NYC to Montreal....and return

Kelowna has no direct flights to major places....have to go to Calgary or Vancover first

D&N....thanks for the tips....usually I take a dark jacket and slacks and long sleeve shirt on cruises....wear on the plane and then do not have to pack....haha....and a tie takes no room.....then stash in the cabin and wear when I have to....easy....peasy

• Like 1

We did a Panama Cruise with Viking, who also have a reasonably dressy dress code, carry on only and it was fine. I bought a couple of light dresses that packed up small, and we did laundry on the trip to keep the clothes fresh. Hubby didn't bring a jacket, which Viking didn't require, so that would be one item to add, but otherwise, we managed fine.

We are doing Cunard out of Vancouver in August...no flights for us, so going to take my biggest suitcase!