Best of Japan - Millennium 5/2 - 5/15

DaKahuna

On 5/17/2024 at 2:22 PM, abbydancer2003 said:

We had Conner on the Summit last year - he was great

Conner announced the morning of our departure that he's getting married.  Apparently his fiancé also announced to her team that morning as well.  

On 5/17/2024 at 2:22 PM, abbydancer2003 said:

Maybe Eliza on the Apex, not sure it was same, but if so, she was great also.

If I typed Eliza I blame it on auto correct.  Eliya was our other Retreat Concierge.  She was fantastic and such a bundle of joy.  We actually ran into her and her husband at a ramen place in Hakodate.  

On 5/18/2024 at 12:00 AM, monkey@cruise said:

I like the Hokkaido Shiroi Koibito biscuit 
(白い恋人 white lover) - chocolate sandwiched between langue de chat

I love those too.  We bought a box to bring home with us. 

On 5/19/2024 at 7:01 AM, Peteymil said:

Thank you for all the info you have provided. You often posted sheets that had info about the ports and shuttles to different sights. Was that only for retreat guest or does everyone get that info?

I do not know if other passengers received it or not.  As you may have noted, all of these were on Retreat letterhead.  In addition, there were port maps for those that wanted to DIY in the Retreat Lounge for each of the ports.  I think I managed to post pictures of some of these. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mfabz said:

We would be waiting on line to walk off with luggage once ship is cleared.  Is it possible to go thru customs and get to Haneda in time to take an 11:00 am flight back to the states? 

Is is possible - yes.  Would I recommend it - no.  

As you may have noticed, our cruise did not start disembarking until around 0720, although we were at the pier around 0600-0630.  Just like everywhere else, the port authorities have to clear the ship for disembarkation and there is no telling how long that process may take. 

Once you walk off the gangway then you have to deal with everyone else who are also self disembarking and going through customs.  The is can a time consuming process.  We happened to end up in one line where a family had to empty all their bags and they were gone through by customs agents.  There is no way to know if this will happen to you or not. 

Then there is the queue for the taxi line -- this can be time consuming as well.  

So while you may be able to do it and I am sure there will be some who said they did and had no problem but personally I'd recommend an afternoon flight just to be on the safe side.  

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Conner announced the morning of our departure that he's getting married.  Apparently his fiancé also announced to her team that morning as well.  

If I typed Eliza I blame it on auto correct.  Eliya was our other Retreat Concierge.  She was fantastic and such a bundle of joy.  We actually ran into her and her husband at a ramen place in Hakodate.  

Yup, that was her on the Apex.  You certainly had great retreat concierges.  Is Conner going to continue being a concierge, do you know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Yup, that was her on the Apex.  You certainly had great retreat concierges.  Is Conner going to continue being a concierge, do you know?

Connor expects to move to the Constellation.  I don't remember when he expects to board her but we will board the Constellation in late October for a B2B and he expects to be on during that time.

We knew about Connor's  impending wedding shortly after we boarded the Millennium on March 28th.

Taxi from Haneda Airport to Yokohama Area Hotel:

Option 1: Regular taxi, fare > 10,000 yen

Option 2: Fixed rate taxi: fare  (Nishi Ward/Naka Ward (MM21))  -  ¥7,900 (¥9,300)   (if use the Shuto Expressway and expressways)  + Toll Road Usage Fee (ETC toll   950 yen)

https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/access/taxi/index.html

https://www.taxi-kanagawa.or.jp/customer/fixed_prices/haneda_keihin/

NOTE:

From February 1, 2024 to the end of June 2024, the fixed fare taxi stand for Haneda Airport (Terminal 3) bound for Kanagawa will be closed. During this period, if you wish to use the fixed fare to Kanagawa, please use the taxi stands at Terminals 1 and 2

@monkey@cruise  We paid $10.31 each way for transportation from Haneda to our Hotel in Yokohama and from our hotel in Yokohama to Haneda on the Keihin Kyuko Airport Limousine Bus.  We found it very convenient as well as cost effective.  it was nice that someone loaded your bags as well as removed them at both locations.  

On 5/20/2024 at 2:29 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We knew about Connor's  impending wedding shortly after we boarded the Millennium on March 28th.

From the way his announcement sounds I think they had finally settled on a date for the wedding.  Not sure but he made it sound like it was something new. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@monkey@cruise  We paid $10.31 each way for transportation from Haneda to our Hotel in Yokohama and from our hotel in Yokohama to Haneda on the Keihin Kyuko Airport Limousine Bus.  We found it very convenient as well as cost effective.  it was nice that someone loaded your bags as well as removed them at both locations.  

@DaKahuna

If you look at the Keikyu’s limousine buses schedule for Haneda Airport to Minato Mirai District.
Only Yokohama Royal Park Hotel, The Yokohama Bay Hotel Tokyu, and Yokohama Grand Intercontinental Hotel have their own bus stops. Schedule runs every 35-60 min during business hours. Other locations are dealing with irregular running schedule.

The information is more for mobility issue passengers or passengers who unable to manage own luggage, and not staying at the above hotels.

Another cost saving way is Keikyu’s limousine buses to YCAT and taxi to Yokohama hotel (under 3500 yen)

52 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Only Yokohama Royal Park Hotel, The Yokohama Bay Hotel Tokyu, and Yokohama Grand Intercontinental Hotel have their own bus stops.

You can add the Westin to the list.  For Buses headed too Haneda, the Westin is the first pickup location before proceeding to the other three.  It runs every hour. 

I have the schedule, in Japanese, if you want it for your records.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

You can add the Westin to the list.  For Buses headed too Haneda, the Westin is the first pickup location before proceeding to the other three.  It runs every hour. 

I have the schedule, in Japanese, if you want it for your records.

Westin Yokohama schedule is odd. To Haneda is every hour, but from Haneda is every 2 hours.

image.png.058d679f25722e61c96f9df4e98ad154.png

image.png.db6e03dfd0ece8d0a58a1b225c58915e.png

The bus schedule in English:

https://www.keikyu-bus.co.jp/en/airport/h-yamashita/

Also whoever like the cheapest way from Osanbashi terminal to Haneda Airport, get on the Keikyu’s limousine buses at Shin-Kencho-mae [Prefectural Government. From Haneda Airport to Osanbashi terminal, get off at Osanbashi-iriguchi. Fare 800 yen.

image.png.f1b74feb9e31f2ed9ce8e45bfa658fe3.png

image.png.dc310e5a05974f8ebf0e8256b7af653d.png

Edited by monkey@cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@DaKahuna

John we are thinking to do a Millie Japan cruise in 2026.

Were you cruising during “Golden Week”?  Did you think about a Japan cruise at the end of May to avoid it?  We have heard it’s quite a busy time.

We are trying to find warm but not hot weather and no typhoons or rain.  Maybe impossible?  We thought to travel in Apr/May or Sep/Oct.

I’ve read some of your trip report and will try to finish it.

Thank you.

Edited by zitsky

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

@DaKahuna

John we are thinking to do a Millie Japan cruise in 2026.

Japan is an amazing country.  Rich in culture and heritage.  We loved it. 

Were you cruising during “Golden Week”?  Did you think about a Japan cruise at the end of May to avoid it?  We have heard it’s quite a busy time.

We had originally booked the end of May but had to move it up a week due to our grand daughter's High School Graduation that happens to be tomorrow.  Golden Week was not something we even realized until much later.   However, I would, in the future, book to avoid it if possible.  It is very crowded and this year was especially bad due to the favorable exchange rate for foreign currencies. 

We are trying to find warm but not hot weather and no typhoons or rain.  Maybe impossible?  We thought to travel in Apr/May or Sep/Oct.

April / May are nice and will be cooler than September/October.  I would choose October over September, as September is late typhoon season. 

• Thanks 1

Can anyone advise - can you get great photos of temples/shrines in Kyoto without having to pay admission for inside the temples/shrines? There are SO many to see and  want to maximize my time for a quick photo and admire the structure and not necessarily enter inside each one. One day excursion is just not enough. Thanks for your kind replies - 

4 hours ago, rsvp1 said:

Can anyone advise - can you get great photos of temples/shrines in Kyoto without having to pay admission for inside the temples/shrines? There are SO many to see and  want to maximize my time for a quick photo and admire the structure and not necessarily enter inside each one. One day excursion is just not enough. Thanks for your kind replies - 

Japan Cheapo Shrine and Temple Hopping in Kyoto
https://japancheapo.com/entertainment/cheap-sightseeing-kyoto-shrine-hopping/

A general rule: Shrines = FREE, Temples = PAID

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Were folks onboard able to use regular cellular connectivity, or was it limited to the ship’s tower?

We find on our Alaska cruises through the inside passage we can use Canadian cell towers well enough to not need wifi onboard. 

On 5/23/2024 at 1:10 AM, DaKahuna said:

Japan is an amazing country.  Rich in culture and heritage.  We loved it. 

So glad to finally get a chance to read this entire thread, sounds like you both had an amazing time.

Had a lot of family stuff to deal with since we parted company in Miami earlier this year, but I was determined to get to this tread eventually, and it was certainly worth the read.

Thanks also to the others sailing with you for their contributions.

This itinerary remains on our bucket list for sure.

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

So glad to finally get a chance to read this entire thread, sounds like you both had an amazing time.

We did.  However, all we've talked about since we returned is the things we did not do.  We both agreed that we really need to take a land based vacation to Japan.  We are not use to being on the go as much as we were on this cruise -- I don't think we have had so many shore excursions since our first Med cruise when we did one at every port. 

Had a lot of family stuff to deal with since we parted company in Miami earlier this year, but I was determined to get to this tread eventually, and it was certainly worth the read.

Sorry to hear that you have had to deal with a lot of family stuff since Miami. 

Am glad you enjoyed the review.  Was worried that it was no where as entertaining and interesting as I wanted it to be. 

This itinerary remains on our bucket list for sure.

It is definitely a fantastic itinerary -- I view it as one of the few that I could do a B2B2B and still feel that I had not seen everything.  Japan is such a fantastic country with outstanding people, food, and fantastic cultural experiences for everyone. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We did.  However, all we've talked about since we returned is the things we did not do.  We both agreed that we really need to take a land based vacation to Japan.  We are not use to being on the go as much as we were on this cruise -- I don't think we have had so many shore excursions since our first Med cruise when we did one at every port. 

Sorry to hear that you have had to deal with a lot of family stuff since Miami. 

Am glad you enjoyed the review.  Was worried that it was no where as entertaining and interesting as I wanted it to be. 

It is definitely a fantastic itinerary -- I view it as one of the few that I could do a B2B2B and still feel that I had not seen everything.  Japan is such a fantastic country with outstanding people, food, and fantastic cultural experiences for everyone. 

My DW and I are booked for this cruise August, 2025. I found this thread and have read every post. Your review/postings are Outstanding. Can't Thank You enough for the insight. Stay Safe & Healthy. 

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following you very interesting and informative posts.  We will be cruising in Japan in late October/early November  2024 with another cruise line.  I am looking for hotel recommendations for three days prior to the cruise and also a guide for two days.

Thank you, Jane

49 minutes ago, Rivieracruisers said:

I am looking for hotel recommendations for three days prior to the cruise and also a guide for two days.

Do you have status with any of the major hotel chains?  What are you looking to do during your three days you are there?  Are you interested in staying Tokyo or Yokohama?  We really enjoyed our time at the Westin, especially since my Marriott status gave us access to the Club Lounge.  It was a 15 minute walk to major shopping area and to the train station with Yokohama station one stop away, on the express train.  

I see you mentioned a guide.  I have no experience in that area but a number of my fellow passengers on Millennium spoke highly of Tours by Locals.  I believe a couple were named in their comments in my review but as I said, we did not use a guide while in Yokohama. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Do you have status with any of the major hotel chains?  What are you looking to do during your three days you are there?  Are you interested in staying Tokyo or Yokohama?  We really enjoyed our time at the Westin, especially since my Marriott status gave us access to the Club Lounge.  It was a 15 minute walk to major shopping area and to the train station with Yokohama station one stop away, on the express train.  

I see you mentioned a guide.  I have no experience in that area but a number of my fellow passengers on Millennium spoke highly of Tours by Locals.  I believe a couple were named in their comments in my review but as I said, we did not use a guide while in Yokohama. 

Thank you!   BTW, we are also in NOVA.

• Like 1

Wondering what might be the best way to get to Hilton Yokohama from the Narita Airport.

Would it be easier to stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay and then travel to the Yokohama on embarkation day?

We will be arriving at the airport at around 4pm on the Thursday.

Thanks in advance 

9 hours ago, XSYTD said:

Wondering what might be the best way to get to Hilton Yokohama from the Narita Airport.

The Narita Express Train goes to Yokohama station.  From there you can catch a taxi to the Yokohama Hilton. 

9 hours ago, XSYTD said:

Would it be easier to stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay and then travel to the Yokohama on embarkation day?

That's your call.  Depends on your preference really.  There is no great hurry to embark as the ship is open for boarding until the afternoon. 

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

The Narita Express Train goes to Yokohama station.  From there you can catch a taxi to the Yokohama Hilton. 

That's your call.  Depends on your preference really.  There is no great hurry to embark as the ship is open for boarding until the afternoon. 

Thank you so much