Best of Japan - Millennium 5/2 - 5/15

DaKahuna

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

There were a number of people on our roll call who were not in suites that I would also love to hear from.  I spoke with a couple of them and encouraged to them comment but they were always amazed at how I found time to do the comments that I did do.  

As you might have noticed this was a very port intensive cruise and my wife and I were just commenting about how great it was we planned a couple of days in a hotel before flying home.  We are still recovering form having to get up early most mornings of the cruise to get ready for our day ashore. 

When we did Azamara cruise that went from Osaka, Hiroshima, Shanghai, Hong kong, Saigon and Singapore, we flew back to Tokyo and my husband stayed  for two weeks with me in Japan and I stayed two weeks longer on my own. I always want to maximize my flying since I hate to fly. 😅

Edited by rinshin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

March 16 2026.

I think you will hit the beginning of cherry blossom season then.  Earlier, it is ume blossom season.  Weather then will be perfect hence big tourist season in Japan.  Be prepared for crowds esp in metro Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto.  Kyoto during the cherry blossom season will be packed with tourists ie throngs of tourists much like Venice. Late March is prime cherry blossom season starting fro southern Japan slowly extending north to Hokkaido.  If you ever get a chance to do a  week tour of Hokkaido, I really recommend it.  Vast and very interesting esp the Ainu culture. 

Edited by rinshin
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Our first Celebrity cruise was an Eastern Med cruise, with 2 sea days out of 10.  I told DH we needed a vacation from our vacation.

We had Conner on the Summit last year - he was great.  Maybe Eliza on the Apex, not sure it was same, but if so, she was great also.

Abby, we both did Antarctica on Star Princess;  and Iceland TA on Caribbean Princess. I will do the Expo 2025 in Osaka and take Discovery Princess to Singapore.

Edited by monkey@cruise

11 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Abby, we both did Antarctica on Star Princess;  and Iceland TA on Caribbean Princess. I will do the Expo 2025 in Osaka and take Discovery Princess to Singapore.

Right - how are you guys?  As I recall, you changed your cc handle between them.

2 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Right - how are you guys?  As I recall, you changed your cc handle between them.

Suzie passed away in 2017, so I changed CC named from SSN.  Travelling in Japan is relatively easy, most of the port I did DIY. If sailing the Spice Route, will be head spinning for all of us.

5 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Suzie passed away in 2017, so I changed CC named from SSN.  Travelling in Japan is relatively easy, most of the port I did DIY. If sailing the Spice Route, will be head spinning for all of us.

Sorry to hear that.  Glen has been there for business before, and enjoyed it.  Thanks

3 hours ago, rinshin said:

I think you will hit the beginning of cherry blossom season then.  Earlier, it is ume blossom season.  Weather then will be perfect hence big tourist season in Japan.  Be prepared for crowds esp in metro Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto.  Kyoto during the cherry blossom season will be packed with tourists ie throngs of tourists much like Venice. Late March is prime cherry blossom season starting fro southern Japan slowly extending north to Hokkaido.  If you ever get a chance to do a  week tour of Hokkaido, I really recommend it.  Vast and very interesting esp the Ainu culture. 

I wish Celebrity will add Otaru to her itineary. I like the Hokkaido Shiroi Koibito biscuit 
(白い恋人 white lover) - chocolate sandwiched between langue de chat. My friends always ask me to bring this iconic souvenir whenever I travel to Japan.

• Like 2

I'd like to post my very deepest thanks to those who have posted and added to this amazing thread!  I've copied the daily info sheets onto my pc and copied and pasted many of your notes into my files for our July cruise next summer (yes we know it will be hot but we are working around the school schedule for my niece and nephew.)  As a side question...I'm looking at spending around 3-4 days at Tokyo Disney and wonder if anyone has any advice as to if it worth staying on an "on property hotel" for the extra 15 mins entry time or some have suggested I stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay Celebrio rooms.  I'm also seeking advice for pre/post stay for myself alone (mid 40's female) to explore Tokyo/Yokohama on my own for an extra week or so.  Thanks again!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, janetmojo said:

I'd like to post my very deepest thanks to those who have posted and added to this amazing thread!  I've copied the daily info sheets onto my pc and copied and pasted many of your notes into my files for our July cruise next summer (yes we know it will be hot but we are working around the school schedule for my niece and nephew.)  As a side question...I'm looking at spending around 3-4 days at Tokyo Disney and wonder if anyone has any advice as to if it worth staying on an "on property hotel" for the extra 15 mins entry time or some have suggested I stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay Celebrio rooms.  I'm also seeking advice for pre/post stay for myself alone (mid 40's female) to explore Tokyo/Yokohama on my own for an extra week or so.  Thanks again!

Being on your own as a woman in Japan depends on your temperament, how independent you are traveling  in the past, prior planning, studying train routes and maps of Tokyo area. It will be safe no doubt about it, but you need to be used to traveling on your own. In the past you would see Japanese coming up to ask if you need help with directions etc, but with so many foreigners coming to Japan, I see less of that in metro areas. Google map works well for finding where you need to go.  

I lived in Yokohama too as a child, but instead of hanging out there, go to Kamakura.  Much more interesting area.  Traditional tea houses, decent restaurants, and shopping for more higher end craft items. I have taken two groups of my close women friends through Japan in the past showing them  both well travelled tourist areas as well as less known to tourists areas and their ages then ranged from early 20’s to early 50’s (mothers and their daughters).  They were all great sport and we had great time traveling together.  They knew we would be walking a lot so they were prepared for that.  And traveled light. 

Edited by rinshin
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rinshin said:

Being on your own as a woman in Japan depends on your temperament, how independent you are traveling  in the past, prior planning, studying train routes and maps of Tokyo area. It will be safe no doubt about it, but you need to be used to traveling on your own. In the past you would see Japanese coming up to ask if you need help with directions etc, but with so many foreigners coming to Japan, I see less of that in metro areas. Google map works well for finding where you need to go.  

I lived in Yokohama too as a child, but instead of hanging out there, go to Kamakura.  Much more interesting area.  Traditional tea houses, decent restaurants, and shopping for more higher end craft items. I have taken two groups of my close women friends through Japan in the past showing them  both well travelled tourist areas as well as less known to tourists areas and their ages then ranged from early 20’s to early 50’s (mothers and their daughters).  They were all great sport and we had great time traveling together.  They knew we would be walking a lot so they were prepared for that.  And traveled light. 

rinshin- is it fairly easy to get to Kamakura on our own from the pier in Yokohama? Taxi or train? 

We have a turn around day for our b2b so do you think there is enough time to do it on that day? 

thanks! 

Thanks @rinshin I am our travel planner and organizer on all our trips as a couple so while I haven't done a lot on my own I honestly will be a little free-er to do as I please without hubby who is choosing to skip this trip.  I'm insanely organized and a little OCD (ok a lot OCD) so that part doesn't worry me too much.  We have the 12 night cruise in the middle which will be with a larger family group (7 people) so some time on each end of the trip on my own is looking great to me!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, janetmojo said:

Thanks @rinshin I am our travel planner and organizer on all our trips as a couple so while I haven't done a lot on my own I honestly will be a little free-er to do as I please without hubby who is choosing to skip this trip.  I'm insanely organized and a little OCD (ok a lot OCD) so that part doesn't worry me too much.  We have the 12 night cruise in the middle which will be with a larger family group (7 people) so some time on each end of the trip on my own is looking great to me!

At 40’s and used to walking 3 to 5 miles, and independent, I would go for it. 

Although my husband walks everywhere at home including grocery shopping, dental/medical appointments, post office etc pegging 5-10 miles often, I am more out of shape now due to asthma (being easily out if breath) and not being more active like I was when I was still working.  So, my husband encourages me to go for walks with him increasing distance every few days for 3-4 months  before our annual trip back to Japan and that gets me in shape. 

now days almost all train and subway stations have elevators and escalators making much easier to to get around. It was not always this way and I remember many times carrying my mother’s heavier bags for her when  going up and down the stairs often dodging people through steep stairs.  She was able to go up and down holding the rail but not with baggage with age. 

Edited by rinshin

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, debfed65 said:

rinshin- is it fairly easy to get to Kamakura on our own from the pier in Yokohama? Taxi or train? 

We have a turn around day for our b2b so do you think there is enough time to do it on that day? 

thanks! 

Yes, it is not hard to get to Kamakura from Yokohama or Tokyo by trains.  Looks like there is even monorail to there now. 

the Big Buddha is there and the town still retains older buildings. 

Edited by rinshin
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, janetmojo said:

The typhoon season in Japan runs from May through October, with most activity from July to September.

If first timer to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, I suggest book a Disney Resort vacation package, to enjoy Disney to the fullest and guaranteed admissions. You need an App on your smart phone in the Park and Japanese is the primary language.

4 hours ago, debfed65 said:

thanks! 

Some CC members did go to Kamakura Big Buddha during turn around day.
1. From Osanbashi Pier either taxi to Yokohama station or walk to Nihon-Odori Station take metro Minatomirai Line to Yokohama Station.
2. From Yokohama Station, take JR Yokosuka Line to Kamakura station, then transfer Enoden Line to Hase station. Walk 10 min to Kotoku-in temple.

https://www.city.kamakura.kanagawa.jp/visitkamakura/en/access/index.html

Yokosuka Line runs every 10-15 min

image.png.a30febd3df1f45f94653dc8083197b4c.png

Follow the signage in Kamakura station to Enoden Line

image.png.327104c0f0f9c42d99edfe4555bc15ec.png

image.thumb.png.104970830882bd5491ec988415923ffd.png

Enoden Lines runs every 15 min:

image.png.9d6b14476678cb41cb39649534ac5ff1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2024 at 3:43 AM, DaKahuna said:

This is the saddest part of the cruise.  This paperwork arrived last night and we have just completed packing two of our three bags.  We’ll finish the 3rd one and set it outside after dinner this evening.  

IMG_2451.thumb.jpeg.64cc5a704d2069875ff2b4b69aebe7f8.jpeg

IMG_2452.thumb.jpeg.3894bfe931e8ea2b6c564395befc1410.jpeg

IMG_2453.thumb.jpeg.1a56e29538748710c4e581d5eb7a771b.jpeg

IMG_2454.thumb.jpeg.8165540df39c8e8f57c949e6b52f9048.jpeg

IMG_2455.thumb.jpeg.66acd3282ca22e555b9ba89d13577248.jpeg

IMG_2456.thumb.jpeg.d9182eeef1f5a874b21140cf16b0ba22.jpeg

I made a new discovery today.  In the past we had always received envelops to use for providing additional gratuities to crew members, should we choose to do so.  It now seems that feedback Celebrity received from guest that it was like they were “begging” for additional gratuities so, if you want to use an envelop to give extra gratuities to a crew member or a team, you either bring your own envelopes or you can request them from Guest Services or the Retreat Concierge.  I was not aware of this until I went an asked earlier today.  

Between this practice and the lack of pre-paid gratuities included with Retreat bookings, I feel that only the crew will suffer.  We’ve always made it a practice to pre-pay gratuities if they are not included in our bookings. 

Thank you for all the info you have provided. You often posted sheets that had info about the ports and shuttles to different sights. Was that only for retreat guest or does everyone get that info?

10 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Some CC members did go to Kamakura Big Buddha during turn around day.
1. From Osanbashi Pier either taxi to Yokohama station or walk to Nihon-Odori Station take metro Minatomirai Line to Yokohama Station.
2. From Yokohama Station, take JR Yokosuka Line to Kamakura station, then transfer Enoden Line to Hase station. Walk 10 min to Kotoku-in temple.

https://www.city.kamakura.kanagawa.jp/visitkamakura/en/access/index.html

Yokosuka Line runs every 10-15 min

image.png.a30febd3df1f45f94653dc8083197b4c.png

Follow the signage in Kamakura station to Enoden Line

image.png.327104c0f0f9c42d99edfe4555bc15ec.png

image.thumb.png.104970830882bd5491ec988415923ffd.png

Enoden Lines runs every 15 min:

image.png.9d6b14476678cb41cb39649534ac5ff1.png

Amazing details, this is great....thank you so much 🙂 

3 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Amazing details, this is great....thank you so much 🙂 

You are very welcome. If you don't mind taking public transport, many attractions can be visted in a cost saving way. There are cafes, small eateries around Kamakura and Hase stations; or you can pick up sandwiches from any convenience stores (Japanese breads are soft, ingredients are differ from North American).

50-60 min travel time.
Metro Minatomiral Line to Yokohama station: 4 stops fare ¥230 time 7 min
JR Yokosuka Line to Kamakura station: 6 stops fare ¥360  25 min
Enoden Line to Hase station: 3 stops fare ¥200  5 min

image.png.b2aa0560a306edda9a1ee2ad1f3a352d.png

• Like 1

monkey@cruise and DaKahuna -- your input would be appreciated

We are on Celebrity Millennium scheduled to arrive in Yokohama at 6:30 am on Sunday, April 20, 2025.  We would be waiting on line to walk off with luggage once ship is cleared.  Is it possible to go thru customs and get to Haneda in time to take an 11:00 am flight back to the states?   

Thanks

20 minutes ago, mfabz said:

We are on Celebrity Millennium scheduled to arrive in Yokohama at 6:30 am on Sunday, April 20, 2025.  We would be waiting on line to walk off with luggage once ship is cleared.  Is it possible to go thru customs and get to Haneda in time to take an 11:00 am flight back to the states?   

Thanks

A mid afternoon flight would be ok but I wouldn't do a morning flight.  We just got off the Millennium on 15/4/2024 and it was slow going through customs and immigration at the pier.  Plus, once you get to Haneda it is also a time consuming process.  They advise arriving three hours before ones flight.  The process is stressful enough without adding to it with short arrival times. 

Kathy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peteymil said:

Thank you for all the info you have provided. You often posted sheets that had info about the ports and shuttles to different sights. Was that only for retreat guest or does everyone get that info?

We were on the March 28th and April 9th cruises and were in a suite for both legs.  While everyone receives the Celebrity Today, which had some info regarding port shuttles, the white info sheets were prepared by the Retreat Concierges and only distributed to passengers in suites.

28 minutes ago, mfabz said:

Thanks

Based on my experience last month a 11 AM flight will be pushing the limits.  We were B2B and my recollection is that self disembarkation started around 7:15 AM.  There were lines to go through customs and lines for taxis.  We were in no hurry but my memory is that we were in line about 25 minutes for a taxi.  It is about a 35 minute drive by taxi from the Osanbashi terminal to Haneda.  

We didn't fly the day we disembarked, but spent the night at one of the Haneda airport hotels and started the flights for home the next day.

36 minutes ago, mfabz said:

Thanks

We’re on an 11:50am flight in August; I can let you know how we get on if you so wish? We do have a private transfer booked though.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mfabz said:

Thanks

Even in an ideal scenario: ship docks at 6:30am and cleared at 7am. First one off the gangway; clear customs, and taxi queue. Travel time from terminal to Haneda airport usually under 45 min.
Your road block will be at the Airport Roadway and Haneda Airport - "2025 Japan Golden Week, April 29 to May 5" and  "Osaka World Expo 2025 starts from April 13".

You must clear security and exit immigration. If your departure gate number is above 140, will be a long walk. International flight large aircrafts usually boarding time is 45 min before departure. So give yourself minimum 2.5 hr. airport check-in time.

Cross your fingers if planning the 11:00am departure.

Japan is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in the world. Any prone will shutdown transport system for safety.

Edited by monkey@cruise

5 hours ago, villauk said:

We’re on an 11:50am flight in August; I can let you know how we get on if you so wish? We do have a private transfer booked though.

August travel is not crazy as Golden Week. Only typhoon and earthquake will impact you travel plan.

• Thanks 1