Included air, but will a deviation fee guarantee us non-stop?

dcsam

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Does anyone know which airlines Viking does have contracts with?

That is probably proprietary information they don’t divulge. Personally I’ve flown with Viking Air on One World Alliance, Star Alliance, and Skyteam affiliated airlines. Google those for a list. Not every airline might be covered.

On our next trip we are on Delta, SAS, and United. Previously it’s been Lufthansa, KLM, Air Canada, and American.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

3 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Does anyone know which airlines Viking does have contracts with?

And even past contracts are no guarantee of the existence of both a) a current contract, and b) inventory available for your particular travels.

Suggest a look at this thread for some good posts (and maybe one or two of mine):

• Like 2

Had V "free Air" for Sea TA, FLL/BCN, March 2023.  Cruise booked very close in, about 6 weeks.  Flying from Philly.

V assigned air day after booking/payment.  No air plus.

Both flights were Nonstops on AA.  Was especially happy, as both were at very convenient departure times.

I know from V Air experience, it doesn't always work out that way.

• Like 1

Another consideration ... with Viking Air Plus you can secure flights up to 310 days before departure.  For really, really long flights we have recently been upgrading to Business Class.  I do not want to wait until 120 days before the cruise to confirm flights and seats.  Often, the business class seats on the most desirable routes will be full by then.  Of course, once you have the flights and seats you want, you must ask Viking Air Plus to "ticket" the reservation so you lock in the choices.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mountain Traveler said:

Another consideration ... with Viking Air Plus you can secure flights up to 310 days before departure.  For really, really long flights we have recently been upgrading to Business Class.  I do not want to wait until 120 days before the cruise to confirm flights and seats.  Often, the business class seats on the most desirable routes will be full by then.  Of course, once you have the flights and seats you want, you must ask Viking Air Plus to "ticket" the reservation so you lock in the choices.

Agree - we generally book 270-300 days out.

14 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

That is probably proprietary information they don’t divulge. Personally I’ve flown with Viking Air on One World Alliance, Star Alliance, and Skyteam affiliated airlines. Google those for a list. Not every airline might be covered.

On our next trip we are on Delta, SAS, and United. Previously it’s been Lufthansa, KLM, Air Canada, and American.

Just had them ticket my Aussie/NZ B2B.  Was all United, and did not ask...it just was offered. 

Happy about that, as I had her put in my frequent flyer miles, since it is my #1 airline I use for those miles I collect on CC as well.  🙂 

10 hours ago, Mountain Traveler said:

That is what I did as well yesterday.  Opted to pay the 150 per person to add on Air Plus, just to get the early ticketing at 274 days out.  And even then...half of the seats were already booked. Was worried about that with the longer flight.  

Yikes...happy I did not wait!  Received a great itinerary at 5K less than what I could have booked the same flights myself.  

11 hours ago, Mountain Traveler said:

I do not want to wait until 120 days before the cruise to confirm flights and seats.  Often, the business class seats on the most desirable routes will be full by then. 

Are you talking about the seats available to Viking, or all of the seats on the flight?

It's relatively easy to know actual overall inventory.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

And even then...half of the seats were already booked. Was worried about that with the longer flight.  

If you are getting this information from a seat map, know that those do NOT show actual inventory.  Many times, seats are either unassigned OR are blocked but not associated with actual tickets.  So can be highly inaccurate.

• Like 2

That is what I did as well yesterday.  Opted to pay the 150 per person to add on Air Plus, just to get the early ticketing at 274 days out.  And even then...half of the seats were already booked. Was worried about that with the longer flight.  

Yikes...happy I did not wait!  Received a great itinerary at 5K less than what I could have booked the same flights myself.  

274 days out is a long time. I've never seen a 50%+ full plane 9 months out from departure. Maybe the 2024 Olympics could have been like that.

I'm curious as to the seat availability if you were to go to the carrier's webpage and book yourself a seat on that plane.

45 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you are getting this information from a seat map, know that those do NOT show actual inventory.  Many times, seats are either unassigned OR are blocked but not associated with actual tickets.  So can be highly inaccurate.

From what the Air Plus agent with Viking told me, and what United shows on their website...there are seats already taken in first/business class.  Even the ones I normally use.  

Though no worries to you....I am already booked on Business class for our long trip to Australia with a good itinerary and great seats.  You can relax now, knowing I am happy.  🙂 

32 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

274 days out is a long time. I've never seen a 50%+ full plane 9 months out from departure. Maybe the 2024 Olympics could have been like that.

I'm curious as to the seat availability if you were to go to the carrier's webpage and book yourself a seat on that plane.

That is what I did...before I agreed to Viking's flight and transferring to Air Plus.  I priced it out what they offered, happening to be on our usual airline of choice, United.  If I booked direct myself, I would have paid more than 5K what I paid for using Viking.  The seats filling up were in first class (pod seats).  There is limited availability in those, and especially with 17 plus hour flights...pax seem to book early.  Makes sense.

No idea how many coach class seats are available.  

The seats filling up were in first class (pod seats).  There is limited availability in those, and especially with 17 plus hour flights...pax seem to book early.  Makes sense.

Not sure how you are finding first class seats on United long-haul.  Were you talking about business class, which is significantly different from first?

Also, your "limited availabilty" is interesting.  UA has 48 biz seats on the 789 from LAX to SYD, and 60 seats on the 773 from SFO.

35 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not sure how you are finding first class seats on United long-haul.  Were you talking about business class, which is significantly different from first?

Also, your "limited availabilty" is interesting.  UA has 48 biz seats on the 789 from LAX to SYD, and 60 seats on the 773 from SFO.

Not sure why you are so concerned for me about this?  We are in the very front of the plane in one of those "pods" with first class service.  It is a one/two/one layout.  If we want to be next to each other, we pick the center aisle versus the single windows on each side.  Most of the duo pods are already taken.  Since you are so concerned...I will let you know we are Orlando to Houston, then Houston non stop to Sydney.  

Once again, please rest assured I am very happy with my selection.  Thank you for being so concerned with my flight itinerary and choices...it means a lot to me.  😉 

4 hours ago, island lady said:

That is what I did...before I agreed to Viking's flight and transferring to Air Plus.  I priced it out what they offered, happening to be on our usual airline of choice, United.  If I booked direct myself, I would have paid more than 5K what I paid for using Viking.  The seats filling up were in first class (pod seats).  There is limited availability in those, and especially with 17 plus hour flights...pax seem to book early.  Makes sense.

No idea how many coach class seats are available.  

So, when you're dealing with Flyer, words matter and first class and business class are two different and distinct products.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Once again, please rest assured I am very happy with my selection.  Thank you for being so concerned with my flight itinerary and choices...it means a lot to me.  😉 

Sorry to break this to you, but not really concerned at all about you or your plans.  In any case, you seem happy with whatever you may have.

What I AM concerned about is getting accurate information to the other folks who, just possibly, are reading this thread.  It is, after all, a public resource, and about more than just your specific trip.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mike07 said:

So, when you're dealing with Flyer, words matter and first class and business class are two different and distinct products.

LOL 😉  I don't care if it is called business or first class...as long as it is first class service. 

I like getting to my cruise and back comfortably, which I do with ease.  The cruise being the main objective.  Not my flight being over scrutinized.  😉  I just report what my experience is.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Sorry to break this to you, but not really concerned at all about you or your plans.  In any case, you seem happy with whatever you may have.

What I AM concerned about is getting accurate information to the other folks who, just possibly, are reading this thread.  It is, after all, a public resource, and about more than just your specific trip.

Ahh...good for you.  Though I am only posting my own experience.  There is no where that I posted false information on my experience.  Why would I?  

I thought this was about cruising on Cruise Critic.  The flight is just something to get me there and back...and I like getting there and back in comfort. I have accomplished that goal each time. 

So please, just let it go.  

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Ahh...good for you.  Though I am only posting my own experience.  There is no where that I posted false information on my experience.  Why would I?  

I thought this was about cruising on Cruise Critic.  The flight is just something to get me there and back...and I like getting there and back in comfort. I have accomplished that goal each time. 

• Haha 1

So, how about the OP's original question?  Simple answer is no.

Included air, but will a deviation fee guarantee us non-stop?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, island lady said:

Interestingly enough, when you do get on your Viking Cruise (you've mentioned it elsewhere where you're off to... maybe Chilean Fjords during the reposition for the Antarctic season.... nobody cares how you got to the cruise ship.

I wish there were a way to DM or email people. Otherwise, you're alright island lady and you could hit me up and I'd try to answer your questions as best I could.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Interestingly enough, when you do get on your Viking Cruise (you've mentioned it elsewhere where you're off to... maybe Chilean Fjords during the reposition for the Antarctic season.... nobody cares how you got to the cruise ship.

I wish there were a way to DM or email people. Otherwise, you're alright island lady and you could hit me up and I'd try to answer your questions as best I could.

Aww...thanks!  🤗  Funny....but no.  I was posting my experience of simply hopping a flight to get to Sydney to board Venus for the circumnavigation of Australia in a few months.  Then hop off for an overnight to connect to Orion to tour NZ.  Flying back from Auckland after that.   

I have just returned from a World cruise doing the Chilean Fjords and Antarctica, circumnavigating all of South America.  Wonderful trip.  🙂  Ushuaia, was one of my favorite ports.  

• Like 1