Live: Queen Anne Maiden Voyage.

Colin_Cameron

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Be prepared to be annoyed, there is no security to either access and back to the Grills Terrace, the view from the infinity tub…..

IMG_1197.thumb.jpeg.1291af741894d36dcfcf4665e2c8c418.jpeg

biggest bugbear though is NO terrace dining facility. 

P1230227.jpeg

On our morning walk about we discovered a delightful shaded area nestled between the two forward sun decks. This is not a Grills area….

IMG_1219.jpeg

That will be annoying. I didn't pay all that money to lounge in a thoroughfare. 

That covered area looks nicer than the Grills Terrace. I've seen fleeting close-ups of that furniture but didn't know where it is.  I suppose I'll have to get up at 5 AM to "claim a seat...

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

That covered area is right next to designated smoking area so is not as attractive as it looks. When I walked round it yesterday I found that there was an immediate smell of smoke wafting over. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Has this been clarified? 

On a future voyage, I have a balcony cabin on deck 11.  Will I or won't I be able to walk to and use the rear deck on my cabin's level?

Yes it is a bit complicated but seems you have to go to the C stairway and up to where Sir Samuels and Aji Wa are.  Out through the doors to the outside terrace and immediately turn to your side and there is a companionway along the side of the ship.  Sorry, not explaining it very well.  But, yes to your question. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Queen Anne's newest crewmember has now taken up his position.

20240506_204053.thumb.jpg.44774c2852f5a22ea6e39f3edf2f96fe.jpg

20240506_232221.thumb.jpg.5215326f4a44d77cf259c043f7febe22.jpg

His final training session.

Try as I might I cannot get portrait photos to post properly from this phone.  HH could you pls work your magic.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 2

Couple of questons that have not be addessed.

1. Black Jack table minimum bet

2. Staterooms being serviced once or twice a day and by how many assigned stewards?

3.Chocolate on the pillow and turndown every evening?

4. What is available for lunch on embarkation day?

6 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Couple of questons that have not be addessed.

1. Black Jack table minimum bet

2. Staterooms being serviced once or twice a day and by how many assigned stewards?

3.Chocolate on the pillow and turndown every evening?

4. What is available for lunch on embarkation day?

1: 2x blackjack, 2x poker, 2x roulette.  Will check minimums.

2: Twice a day. Not sure what you mean by how many stewards. We’ve only ever had a single steward. I'm sure if they were unavailable for some reason someone else would cover but in 30+ years of Cunard  cruising I've never known that to happen.

3: Yes

4: Depends on your check-in time and cabin grade. Probably Lido/buffet or Golden Lion.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Colin_Cameron, I'll go ahead and rotate your photo to the correct orientation.

20240506_204053.jpg.5a03d5feda32292efd11095d242cf419.thumb.jpg.c8a8acce86a7a94061922840bdb0242f.jpg

It's easy to explain how photos in landscape (horizontal) orientation are sometimes upside down on this forum. One way to hold the camera horizontally is considered right side up and the other is considered upside down. Photos taken while holding the camera upside down contain information within the image file telling software that they need to be rotated 180°. The software on this forum that performs attachment file uploads apparently ignores that information about the image needing to be rotated, resulting in an upside down image here.

I'm stumped though as to what could possibly be causing your images, presumably taken while holding the camera in portrait (vertical) orientation, to be uploaded here as if they were taken in landscape (horizontal) orientation. I'd probably need to see one of the original files from your camera to try to get to the bottom of what this forum is doing to it, but figuring out a good way to get that done might be more problem than it's worth.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

1: 2x blackjack, 2x poker, 2x roulette.  Will check minimums.

2: Twice a day. Not sure what you mean by how many stewards. We’ve only ever had a single steward. I'm sure if they were unavailable for some reason someone else would cover but in 30+ years of Cunard  cruising I've never known that to happen.

3: Yes

4: Depends on your check-in time and cabin grade. Probably Lido/buffet or Golden Lion.

Thank you for the quick answers. The reason I asked about the number of stewards was to plan on tipping. Both HAL and NCL use two person teams hence double the tips, even though only one person really works a cabin at any one time.

44 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Thank you for the quick answers. The reason I asked about the number of stewards was to plan on tipping. Both HAL and NCL use two person teams hence double the tips, even though only one person really works a cabin at any one time.

I always tip room stewards, too, but when there are two of them I put the total amount I feel is appropriate into an envelope with both peoples' names on it on the last day and let them divide it as they see fit. I don't give double the amount because there are two people. Think of it this way: each one is only doing half the job. Of course, with tipping there are an endless number of opinions, but that's what I feel comfortable doing.

Jim

38 minutes ago, canoncruiser said:

Am I hallucinating or have I seen steam coming from QA’s whistle when it sounded? 🤨

Yes, but it is fake....not really sure why they bothered.

We’ve just arrived in Lisbon.

some good news for Grills passengers. There is access to a higher deck from the Grills terrace where photographers can get clearer views…

IMG_1281.thumb.jpeg.ff70306d077dc61ea301bbd9bf5ad463.jpeg

IMG_1279.thumb.jpeg.ca994e6ec52d90eece65f46b968294cf.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

We’ve just arrived in Lisbon.

some good news for Grills passengers. There is access to a higher deck from the Grills terrace where photographers can get clearer views…

IMG_1281.thumb.jpeg.ff70306d077dc61ea301bbd9bf5ad463.jpeg

IMG_1279.thumb.jpeg.ca994e6ec52d90eece65f46b968294cf.jpeg

Walking up to the Castle Richard? 

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

@Colin_Cameron, [snip]

I'm stumped though as to what could possibly be causing your images, presumably taken while holding the camera in portrait (vertical) orientation, to be uploaded here as if they were taken in landscape (horizontal) orientation. I'd probably need to see one of the original files from your camera to try to get to the bottom of what this forum is doing to it, but figuring out a good way to get that done might be more problem than it's worth.

@Colin_Cameron

One way that sometimes works is to consider the need for the board's software to seek, by default, a landscape projection of your photo. So I downloaded your original photo, cropped the top above your head (nothing useful there) and some of the deck below your shoes, and in a dummy CC post it did end up the correct way, whereas your original photo was rotated by CC. It's kind of cheating since as bluemarble has indicated it's a markup interpretation issue. But in short, cropping your photo to reduce the portrait effect, trying to get more to a square, will be a quick fix here.

• Thanks 1

Although there is no controlled access to the grills terrace, one doesn't feel that there is an excess of interlopers wandering through the area. On QM2 there are always people going through the grills terrace while going up and down the stairs and this didn't detract from the enjoyment of being there. The terrace is lovely and has plenty of shade. It is a great place to listen to the whistle.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

Am I hallucinating or have I seen steam coming from QA’s whistle when it sounded? 🤨

You are not hallucinating! I know the steam is fake, but I like it. Queen Anne's whistle can't compare to QE2 or QM2, but I think it is far superior to QV and QE.

I would post my video of the whistle sound, but I can't access YouTube with the basic internet package so it will have to wait :(.

IMG_5846.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pushpit said:

... cropping your photo to reduce the portrait effect, trying to get more to a square, will be a quick fix here.

Cropping,  however minimally,  seems to do the trick.

B003.thumb.jpg.3cb76cd9ef960683bd42002fd084c710.jpg

• Like 3

As a huge fan of ships horns I was glad to see and hear in other videos that QA received a proper large replica Tyfon in addition to her other horns.

An impressive voice!

Interesting that Cunard have revived the steam effect when it’s been broken for so long on QM2.

6 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Walking up to the Castle Richard? 

Not today @buchanan101 , we've done that...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/20/one-way-to-do-lisbon/

14935899135_1eed24b1d9_z.jpg.2fc3300e03ce6d6f21ebef0759190854.jpg

Today we were on a Pastéis de Nata mission to find the best available....

1FabricaNata.thumb.jpg.6be0531c84e9a8476e46f6a83c6d0998.jpg

2Manteigaria.thumb.jpg.f27c74ebfe71c5c8793aa1d07cce4809.jpg

The rest will be subject to my blog review. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Not today @buchanan101 , we've done that...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/20/one-way-to-do-lisbon/

14935899135_1eed24b1d9_z.jpg.2fc3300e03ce6d6f21ebef0759190854.jpg

Today we were on a Pastéis de Nata mission to find the best available....

1FabricaNata.thumb.jpg.6be0531c84e9a8476e46f6a83c6d0998.jpg

2Manteigaria.thumb.jpg.f27c74ebfe71c5c8793aa1d07cce4809.jpg

The rest will be subject to my blog review. 😁

Castle much better seen in the evening, but can' t do that on a cruise. whilst we were there last May at the Belem tower one of the Holland America pinnacles sailed past - at about midday - and it was leaving that afternoon - I'd be really annoyed with such a rubbish schedule: Lisbon needs much more than a day, let alone a few hours... but that's the problem with cruising...There aren't many cities that I'd want to visit for just a few hours - Ok, Bergen in June is 6 hours, but Bergen is not Lisbon...