Excursions Offered on Turnaround Day in Southampton?

We're booked on a B2B in September onboard Splendor around the UK then down to Barcelona.  Our only turnaround day experience with Regent has been in Miami where limited excursions were offered.  Has anyone experienced a B2B in Southampton where excursions were offered to in-transit cruisers?  If so, what was offered?

Thanks...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Exursions offered were to Winchester (Cathedral

... is in London, and will let you down (compared to nearby Westminster Abbey).

Maybe you were thinking of Salisbury Cathedral, which is closer to Southampton, and on the way to Stonehenge. Salisbury is also a charming small town and would make a great stop for turnaround day!

Edited by dribst in ks

mrlevin's memory and mine are in alignment on this one. 

The Winchester Cathedral we visited on Explorer's turn-around day at Southampton is in town of Winchester. About a 1.25 hours van drive from, and then back to, that Port. 

Wonderful tour.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

How do you find out if excursions are offered on turnaround day.

We have a b2b in August. The port is Athens. We have to change cabins and have to different booking numbers.

I have asked a regent Uk and they have told me excursions on turnaround days are rare.

Thanjs

45 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

We have a b2b in August. The port is Athens. We have to change cabins and have to different booking numbers.

I have asked a regent Uk and they have told me excursions on turnaround days are rare.

Thanjs

They're not rare. We like doing b2b, and we have always had excursions available. In Southampton, it was a choice between a day long excursion to Stonehenge, and a visit to Winchester, which was the shorter of the 2. We did the later and it was fine. We had some free time in the town and picked up a few things in the stores that we had run out of on our first cruise.

55 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

You will need to speak to Destinations on board to see if anything is being offered in Piraeus.

55 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

We have to change cabins and have to different booking numbers.

Not a problem. Regent staff members will move all your hanging clothes & drawers. You just need to obtain new suite key cards from Reception & move your valuables.

Suggest you have a chat with the Executive Concierge during the first segment to finalise arrangements & timing.

4 hours ago, dribst in ks said:

... is in London, and will let you down (compared to nearby Westminster Abbey).

Maybe you were thinking of Salisbury Cathedral, which is closer to Southampton, and on the way to Stonehenge. Salisbury is also a charming small town and would make a great stop for turnaround day!

Westminster Cathedral is in London, and is near Westminster Abbey. It's a Catholic church, and isn't very impressive. We walked around inside when we were in London on our pre-cruise hotel stay before our bus ride to Southampton for our Regent cruise in September 2022. We could not access Westminster Abbey, which is an impressive Anglican Church from the outside, because of the Queen's funeral.

Winchester Cathedral is in Winchester.

• Like 1

I know ... I had a brain fart mixing up Westminster and Winchester! Pay no attention to the newbie behind the curtain.

And it was Winchester Cathedral bringing people down because it stood and watched as their baby left town ,,, obviously not Jane Austen.

Still, Salisbury is a good place for a day trip relative to Southampton, and it also has a lovely cathedral. And I also like the suggestion for the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear.

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

Westminster Cathedral is in London, and is near Westminster Abbey. It's a Catholic church, and isn't very impressive. We walked around inside when we were in London on our pre-cruise hotel stay before our bus ride to Southampton for our Regent cruise in September 2022. We could not access Westminster Abbey, which is an impressive Anglican Church from the outside, because of the Queen's funeral.

Winchester Cathedral is in Winchester.

Ah, yes.  Salisbury Town and Cathedral.  Where, at the Cathedral dwells--on careful display--one of the three original Magna Cartas. The "Great Charter" is small in size; but it had ominous implications back in 1215 for King John.

Southampton offers so-many possibilities for day-long trips. These have already been referenced.  When on Explorer, had a choice visiting the Military Museum on our own; or Regent's arranged Winchester visit.  As an old Army guy, would have opted for Museum; but spouse--a Jane Austen fan--prevailed.  There she [Jane, not my wife] reposes.  Next time, and there will be a next-time: it will be Museum. 

Several pre-COVID years ago--at Southampton on Cunard B/t/B/t/B segments.  Cunard offered a 'twofer on the turn-around day.  Both Stonehenge and Salisbury.  It was a full day, but the ship did not sail until late that evening. 

Weather was perfect.  When at Stonehenge, our Guide directed our gaze to the horizon.  We could clearly see the tall, thin spire of the great Salisbury Cathedral.  Then--on to lunch;  and visit to town and Cathedral. 

It would be a stretch to do both on a Regent cruise when the ship sails around 1800H. Choices; choices. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Thank you, @mrlevin...

We haven't visited either, so we'll likely do one if offered.

Suggest the one to Stone Henge. It is iconic It also stops at Salisbury cathedral. 

J

11 hours ago, dribst in ks said:

the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear

I got the reference 😉  But are you of the required age?!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, GOARMY said:

As an old Army guy, would have opted for Museum; but spouse--a Jane Austen fan--prevailed.  There she [Jane, not my wife] reposes.  Next time, and there will be a next-time: it will be Museum. 

GOARMY!

Are you referring to the tank museum Tickets & Prices - The Tank Museum You must see it, even folks on our tour were impressed.  A great exhibit about trench warfare with sound effects as well is there.  Seeing a King tiger and Jagd Tiger that close is also impressive, and you can see why they could be intimidating.   

KT.thumb.jpg.2a83ff9fe2d6827bcfb1a1948cde84ad.jpg

Thank you to all so much for taking the time to provide your thoughts and suggestions. We have many more options than I had originally thought. We're in port 7:00am until 7:00pm on turnaround day, so will have plenty of time to enjoy whatever we decide to do.