Never got a crystal block!

On 5/12/2024 at 6:48 PM, Gracie115 said:

They are kind of cool and definitely made of glass, very heavy.  

Yeah they are really nice. I was quite impressed when I got the one I bought on eBay.

8 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

o the next time, I just took it out of my hand-carry bag and placed it inside the TSA bin. 

They opened the box and asked: "What is it?"

I said: "It's a crystal block given by Royal Caribbean". He said : "Nice!"

LOL!  The agent might have never seen one of those before.

11 hours ago, dougp26364 said:

For those who think they’re made of glass, they’re not.

Oh well, still pretty nice. I was surprised by the weight of it.

8 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Oh well, still pretty nice. I was surprised by the weight of it.

I think the point is that they are crystal not glass.

• Like 1

And some have "pointy" edges.  😉  

This is half of what I collected.  The duplicates I gave away to my sister and mostly to crew members. 

And count me in as always putting mine in my carry on bag, as indeed the TSA will find it on Xray and check it out.  Like someone else pointed out...they think it's pretty cool as well.  

20240411_082112.jpg

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think the point is that they are crystal not glass.

Agree there...very heavy...very breakable.  What a mess when I dropped one of mine on the tile floor at home.  Yikes. 😮 

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Agree there...very heavy...very breakable.  What a mess when I dropped one of mine on the tile floor at home.  Yikes. 😮 

If I broke one of mine I'd probably cry.🫥

• Like 2

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

If I broke one of mine I'd probably cry.🫥

I would have...had it hit my foot.   Then again, I probably would have had to visit the doctor.  🤕😉 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

And some have "pointy" edges.  😉  

This is half of what I collected.  The duplicates I gave away to my sister and mostly to crew members. 

And count me in as always putting mine in my carry on bag, as indeed the TSA will find it on Xray and check it out.  Like someone else pointed out...they think it's pretty cool as well.  

20240411_082112.jpg

Do you like the clear or color ones better?

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Do you like the clear or color ones better?

I like them both.  The color ones are indeed different.  Bucky does not like the colored ones, so I actually put the two of them in my office over my desk.  😉 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

They opened the box and asked: "What is it?"

I said: "It's a crystal block given by Royal Caribbean". He said : "Nice!"

Same reaction at BCN 10 days ago.

My block was flagged, but my brother's block was not (different security line).

• Like 1

Funny story here that will likely not be appreciated by anyone trying to get a block they missed.  I was on Odyssey in January and knew it was my first block cruise.  I went to the Loyalty Ambassador desk early in the week to check on it.  He wasn't there but his assistant was.  She told me they were out of blocks for now but could give me the form to request one.  After some small talk, I mentioned my Quantum cruise last June.  She then started about how Quantum was her ship, that she was heading home next week and wanted to know if I wanted a Quantum block as well.  I said sure unless it meant I wouldn't get my earned one from Odyssey.  She said no problem, just take this and don't worry about it.  Two days later, I come back from dinner and my Odyssey block is on my bed.  

She told me she should be on my 9 night Greek Isles cruise in August this year.  If she is, I will thank her again.  Both blocks are now proudly displayed in my office.  They are very nice and appreciated by those of us loyal to Royal!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, island lady said:

very breakable

Good to know!

4 hours ago, dwp10mm said:

She told me they were out of blocks for now but could give me the form to request one.

This is EXACTLY what happened with us, despite them saying to the contrary, which is why I contacted them many times by email and then also by phone expressing that they still owe us a block, but finally was told it'll never happen since it was beyond the 12-month rule. Another great (although lame) excuse. So, I bought one! Wonder how many people were told that same
"we're out of them" excuse? I'll see what happens once we get to 210. If I don't like the colored version, I know I can get a good price for it. Probably will keep it though since it'd likely be the last one anyway. If only two blocks, though, the crystal and the colored don't really pair up well. Should have some of both. I like Viking too much to ever accumulate a large number of points with RCL.

4 hours ago, dwp10mm said:

After some small talk, I mentioned my Quantum cruise last June.  She then started about how Quantum was her ship, that she was heading home next week and wanted to know if I wanted a Quantum block as well.  I said sure unless it meant I wouldn't get my earned one from Odyssey.  She said no problem, just take this and don't worry about it.  Two days later, I come back from dinner and my Odyssey block is on my bed.  

Amazing how one suddenly showed up, right?

7 hours ago, island lady said:

This is half of what I collected.

Half? OK...let's do some math here. I see 14 blocks not including the stratums. So since you mention half we're talking about 28 blocks or so x 70 points per accumulated block = close to (or probably over) 2,000 points assuming single (not double suite points). If you divide that by, say, a 7-night cruise, that comes out to 280 cruises. That's mind blowing if you've truly done that many. If double points, then about 140 cruises. Still impressive. I like too  many other forms of travel to ever wind up cruising that often.

I see the photo albums there in the bookshelf, as well as a CD collection to the right. Betcha got a cabinet full of VHS tapes too, right? I know I do. Gotta start weeding out some of this stuff. That photo album thing is something I've never been able to keep up with, so no longer try. They go up on Shutterfly and done. Digital clutter takes up way less space than physical, although I save the originals and also back them up on an external drive. I am gradually, though, trying to put already printed pics (from way before the digital age) in albums.

Can't believe this thread is still going actually! Never thought it'd generate all that much interest.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

The cheapest is around $20 and most are closer to $50.

$20? You've got to be kidding. Try $100 on up - at least the listed prices, but then I suspect many take offers. I got mine for around $75. Listed for $100. I've seen many listed for over $200.  Using the search results below, try clicking the "under $85" box and see what you get. I only see one listed for $39.99 and they're doing it as an auction rather than buy it now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=royal+caribbean+crystal+block&_sacat=0

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

$20? You've got to be kidding.

I should have said, was. Prices were lower pre-COVID but inflation seems to have affected sale prices, though once in a while you do see some cheap ones: Royal Carribbean - Monarch of The Seas Maiden Voyage 1991 Crystal Block | eBay

Biker, whose ebay sales of blocks have ranged from $30 to $130.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Biker, whose ebay sales of blocks have ranged from $30 to $130.

Ah..so you've had some listed on eBay and sold them?  I'm sure you're right about pre-covid. Also, consider that the clear crystal style is no longer being made (at least it seems that way), so those in particular are going to sell for much higher. I would have loved to grab one for $30. Also, I specifically wanted the Enchantment, since that's where we earned our first block on (the one I never got). It seems Enchantment blocks are much harder to find. Once I started looking at them, however, the offers started popping in like crazy.

Was that Monarch block one you sold? Pretty cool! Round design. Love the Celebrity bathrobe you've got on your listings!! Bought it and got tired of it?

Edited by OnTheJourney

I am now divorced. I am at 137 nights so when they say relationship, I hope I get one when I hit 140 on Icon this August.  Ex has cruised twice since our divorce but I never asked him if he received one.   Any one have any knowledge of this?

Barbara

15 minutes ago, prekteacher said:

I am now divorced. I am at 137 nights so when they say relationship, I hope I get one when I hit 140 on Icon this August.  Ex has cruised twice since our divorce but I never asked him if he received one.   Any one have any knowledge of this?

Barbara

Are your C&A accounts still linked?

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Good to know!

This is EXACTLY what happened with us, despite them saying to the contrary, which is why I contacted them many times by email and then also by phone expressing that they still owe us a block, but finally was told it'll never happen since it was beyond the 12-month rule. Another great (although lame) excuse. So, I bought one! Wonder how many people were told that same
"we're out of them" excuse? I'll see what happens once we get to 210. If I don't like the colored version, I know I can get a good price for it. Probably will keep it though since it'd likely be the last one anyway. If only two blocks, though, the crystal and the colored don't really pair up well. Should have some of both. I like Viking too much to ever accumulate a large number of points with RCL.

Amazing how one suddenly showed up, right?

Half? OK...let's do some math here. I see 14 blocks not including the stratums. So since you mention half we're talking about 28 blocks or so x 70 points per accumulated block = close to (or probably over) 2,000 points assuming single (not double suite points). If you divide that by, say, a 7-night cruise, that comes out to 280 cruises. That's mind blowing if you've truly done that many. If double points, then about 140 cruises. Still impressive. I like too  many other forms of travel to ever wind up cruising that often.

I see the photo albums there in the bookshelf, as well as a CD collection to the right. Betcha got a cabinet full of VHS tapes too, right? I know I do. Gotta start weeding out some of this stuff. That photo album thing is something I've never been able to keep up with, so no longer try. They go up on Shutterfly and done. Digital clutter takes up way less space than physical, although I save the originals and also back them up on an external drive. I am gradually, though, trying to put already printed pics (from way before the digital age) in albums.

Can't believe this thread is still going actually! Never thought it'd generate all that much interest.

LOL...no...the VHS tapes went bye-bye a long time ago.   And yes, we do have a very large collection of music CDs.  We listen to them every day/night we are here...errr...at least when we are actually here.  😉 

And being an old fart...yes...we still have actual photo albums.  Any thing wrong with that?  Good eye though.  

And no...cruising is just a part of our adventures.  We do a lot of rental homes (mostly VRBO) and fill in the empty spaces with cruises.  Though we have most of our future cruises booked with Viking right now.  

Spread the wealth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

probably grab one on Ebay for $4.99

Yeah.  You could walk down the beach on a romantic evening.  Find an interesting shell to take home and remember the time you enjoyed on that beach. 

Or...you could go to the touristy shell shop that brings in shells on container packs from China and pick one up.  

Which one brings more memories.?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Which one brings more memories.?   

Well, in my case I didn't have much choice if I wanted one for having attained 140 points 😉 Would have been much more meaningful if I had gotten one from RCL as they promised.

Posted (edited)

Good eye though.  

LOL...well, just that I recognize the spines. They look very familiar.

and fill in the empty spaces with cruises.

Looks to me like there are very few of those in your schedule!!! 

Though we have most of our future cruises booked with Viking right now.  

We really like them. Most recently we did the Mississippi, but that didn't go very well so we wound with vouchers...again. The Mississippi was done using vouchers from the infamous Northern Lights cruise of March '19. So we have to book something by October. Probably one of the Great Lakes. If Viking went out of either of our two local ports and offered similar itineraries as either RCL or X, I doubt that I'd even go much more with either of those.

Edited by OnTheJourney

Posted (edited)

when we are actually here. 

Which really isn't all that often (?) We're the opposite. I like being home the majority of the time actually. Alot to do here for one thing with the property and pool, so then a few occasional trips - 2 or 3 a year. Sometimes a bit more. And nothing longer than 3 weeks. I need a plant waterer (huge collection) for anything longer than 9-10 days, so the longer the trip, the more work for a relative. It's getting to the point where I'm going to run out of people to do it without bringing in non-relatives. Not big on that idea. Also, I'm a full-time church organist so wouldn't work too well to tell them I'll be away for some significant % of the year's services. As we get older, we're starting to like things simpler too. DW wouldn't miss it if we never flew again, though that's a tough sell for me since I really enjoy fly/drive trips. Never rented a place through VRBO or Airbnb, etc. though might do that sometime. I don't travel at all during summers - too hot for one thing - plus that'd involve someone to take care of the pool. When DW and I taught public school, the only time we got to travel was during summers, so in retirement I promised myself no more of that. Spring and fall is when we like to go. Not fond of traveling during winter either. If I'm going to worry about what's going on at home (need someone to plow snow if such is the case), what's the point? Might as well stay here. IF it's a trip that we truly feel we want to do, and it's during the winter - like the Viking Cities of Antiquities and Holy Land cruise last year - that's ok.

Edited by OnTheJourney