Texas flag

10 minutes ago, joepeka said:

The salient point in response to HicksRA is that the assertion that the Texas state flag is the only state flag allowed to be at equal height to the U.S. flag is false. I sense from your comment that you agree?

Nope. Not at all.

I was just saying that the quote from the Vexillologist that "All state flags can be flown at the same height as the US flag" was a bit simplistic. The actual Flag Code has a couple different situations. Then added some additional interesting parts.

44 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

That's a bit simplistic. Full Flag Code:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

to me, e & f has a slight contradiction. 'e' says that in a group of states or localities, the US flag should be center and higher. But 'f' says that no state or locality flag can be to the right of the US flag (or higher, but that's the same). Only really implying that state flags can be at the same height. So maybe group vs. just a single state or locality?

Moving on from just state flags.

The only place where it's explicitly stated "same height" in the code is in reference to 2 or more nations. It further says that In a time of peace, all nations flags should be at the same height.. The code differentiates between states, localities, and societies versus flags of other nations.

One last note, the UN flag can not be higher than the US flag anywhere in the US except at the UN.

Thank you. That information confirms that no state, including Texas, has any special permission in regards to flying its flag with the US flag.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Nope. Not at all.

I was just saying that the quote from the Vexillologist that "All state flags can be flown at the same height as the US flag" was a bit simplistic. The actual Flag Code has a couple different situations. Then added some additional interesting parts.

I think my last sentence, in asking a question, was poorly worded - my apologies. The Texas state flag clearly has no special permission or dispensation in the flag code to be flown at the same level as the U.S. flag and on that I believe we agree. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 10:45 AM, MichaelCMTX said:

Seeing as she hadn’t seen one in her airport experiences in North Carolina, Florida, Nevada, California, Georgia, Tennessee, Arizona, Massachusetts, Utah, Nebraska, Colorado or Washington but yet has seen such stores in Houston, multiple terminals at DFW and practically every local mall that still has a bit of a pulse, I can understand how she’s come to her conclusion.

To be 1000% clear, we're not talking about a magazine and candy concession that sells some magnets and T-shirts. It's a "STATE NAME store" thing. 

The Heinz Store at PIT was pretty clearly exactly that.

I have flown to PHX airport many times due to family there and there definitely are Arizona and Native American stores there.  I have picked up some cactus candy.

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 2