Club Orange question

Posted (edited)

We are looking at booking a triple cabin for Asia holiday cruise however it appears to be almost sold out and we are unable to select a specific cabin when doing a mock booking online. My question is, if we upgrade to Club Orange, do we just miss out on the chance to upgrade within our category? Or if instruct my travel agent to complete the booking and add Club Orange, at that point will they let me know what cabins are possibly available and I can choose one then within the same category?

Edited by tartanmom
spelling

First have your TA determine if Club Orange is even still available. They limit the number of CO sold.  If the cruise is almost sold out there is a pretty good chance that CO has sold out already as well.  Check that first then find out what can be done about any upgrades.  They may not be still available as well.  Have your TA investigate ASAP!!

Good Luck!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You don't mention the ship name. If it's the Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, or the Rotterdam - and it's nearly sold out, odds are that Club Orange slots are all taken. You'd need two available. Club Orange is only needed for passengers 1 & 2.

You'd need both Club Orange availability and a room you can upgrade to. That room needs to be in the same meta category - inside, ocean view, or verandah - as the one you're booking.

You see a lot of discussion about Club Orange here. In reality, it's only available for a small number of people per sailing. It tends to sell out pretty far in advance, particularly during busy times of the year.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1

If you book a cabin that you want with CO, then you won’t be able to use CO to receive an upgrade.  For example, if you book standard verandah with CO then down grade to obstructed verandah then use CO to upgrade to standard verandah, you won’t see a price adjustment.  

you have to book lower class with CO then upgrade to see the benefit. 

• Like 1

If the cruise is nearly sold out, the chances adding CO is going to be slim to none. Only a few CO slots are sold on each cruise and they tend to sell out early in the booking process. The first thing you need to do is determine if CO is even available. If only a Guaranty cabin is available in your meta category, CO will not get you upgraded.

Update: phoned Holland America and they said Club Orange is still available. The HAL rep gave some rambling answer about stateroom upgrades which made no sense. She said that my booking would be in a "guarantee" as specific cabin choice for 3 is not available now. I completely understand that but then she said before the sailing they would send out an offer to upgrade within the category booking and I could choose a specific cabin then. I asked if the offer to upgrade was paid or free and she said free as it is Club Orange. We are 4* with HAL and done Club Orange before so have some experience with this and I question her information. So at this point if we book CO, despite the information she gave me,  I would go into it only expecting the other perks and not a stateroom upgrade. 

Thank you for your input!

I don’t see the benefit of CO if the stateroom upgrade is not available.  CO for priority boarding, separate dining doesn’t justify extra $

17 minutes ago, LJanet said:

I don’t see the benefit of CO if the stateroom upgrade is not available.  CO for priority boarding, separate dining doesn’t justify extra $

If it's a Pinnacle Ship, CO in separate dining is worth it for us (and the separate line comes in handy). We don’t like MDR on these larger ships. 

• Like 2

After you have added and paid for Club Orange they should offer to transfer you to the ship inventory department to see what is available for upgrade.  I would not wait to receive an email with an offer to upgrade.  

• Like 2

If HAL will give you a 3 person guarantee stateroom with Club Orange and you don’t care where your stateroom is, why not do the guarantee?  You will have a stateroom and CO.  When HAL begins assigning guarantees they will give you a 3 person stateroom in your category or higher.  If you ask for a Personal Cruise Consultant to book your cruise, you can keep in touch with that person and better control your choice of upgrade throughout the pre cruise process.

• Like 1