Dead Whale on Meraviglia’s Bow Saturday in NYC

So sad.  Just read on Fox the following: 

“A spokesperson for MSC Cruises said the whale was on the MSC Meraviglia, which docked at the Port of Brooklyn before sailing to its next destination. 

"We can confirm with deep regret that on Saturday a whale was discovered on the bow of our ship as the vessel approached the port of New York, Sidney Sterling, director of media relations for MSC Cruises told Fox News Digital. "We immediately notified the relevant authorities, who are now conducting an examination of the whale."

The whale, identified as an endangered sei whale, was caught on the ship's bow when it arrived in Brooklyn on Saturday, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration fisheries spokesperson Andrea Gomez said.”

I hate these types of stories.  I’m hoping the whale was already deceased when they hit it.  

Was anyone from CC on this sailing? Did they feel the ship hit it? When I worked on a much smaller ship back in the 90’s we felt a whale strike.  It was awful; we knew exactly what it was when it happened 🥲

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

So sad.  Just read on Fox the following: 

“A spokesperson for MSC Cruises said the whale was on the MSC Meraviglia, which docked at the Port of Brooklyn before sailing to its next destination. 

"We can confirm with deep regret that on Saturday a whale was discovered on the bow of our ship as the vessel approached the port of New York, Sidney Sterling, director of media relations for MSC Cruises told Fox News Digital. "We immediately notified the relevant authorities, who are now conducting an examination of the whale."

The whale, identified as an endangered sei whale, was caught on the ship's bow when it arrived in Brooklyn on Saturday, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration fisheries spokesperson Andrea Gomez said.”

I hate these types of stories.  I’m hoping the whale was already deceased when they hit it.  

Was anyone from CC on this sailing? Did they feel the ship hit it? When I worked on a much smaller ship back in the 90’s we felt a whale strike.  It was awful; we knew exactly what it was when it happened 🥲

A dreadful story, for sure. I can’t imagine that the impact of the whale was felt by Meraviglia as it would be but a tiny blip on a ship her size. 

3 hours ago, ajoneen said:

My friend was on this sailing- they didn’t feel anything 

Where was the ship coming from when before docking in Brooklyn?   I can't find any information on that.  Thanks.

26 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Where was the ship coming from when before docking in Brooklyn?   I can't find any information on that.  Thanks.

On May 4th?? We were on the ship coming from Bermuda. We certainly did feel anything and we were in a forward cabin. What a shame - this is the first time I'm hearing this.

• Thanks 1

Typically, the necropsy finds that the whale was diseased or injured prior to the ship strike, as whales are quite able to avoid ships when healthy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4