QM2 Cruise to New England and Canada

MJSailors

My DH and I are looking for a cruise leaving NY and arriving in Quebec.

As I did see one listed on the Cunard website, I would like to know about such a cruise from other posters who have been on the QM2.

Also, I saw a sheltered balcony being offered as one of the cabin choices.

Has anyone stayed in such a cabin?

If so, what was your experience with the accommodations?

Thank you-

MJ

I've stayed many times in a QM2 sheltered balcony, it would be my preference on a Crossing across the Atlantic, since the balcony is still usable in less than stellar weather conditions. Inside the stateroom itself, there is very little difference between the sheltered balcony and the other 2 grades. Some are slightly bigger inside than others, but I doubt most people would notice.  The facilities and furnishing is close to identical for all 3 options. The surface area of the balcony though is a lot bigger than the other 2 balcony grades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've done the New England / Canada sailing twice [as Brooklyn round trips to Halifax not Quebec] in both a Sheltered Balcony Category BY [4181 deck 4 aft of staircase 'D'] and glass fronted balcony Category BF [8003, deck 8 two doors from the Library].

Both rooms were almost identical in interior fittings - 4181 has a connecting door, but the neighbors were quiet [heard nothing]. 8003 was a bit of a walk to Britannia, that helped counteract sea air shrinkage of clothing 😉

Since then we have done mostly round trip crossings, and have favored midships sheltered balconies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've done several New England and Canada cruises and always enjoyed them. QM2 is a beautiful ship. I am a fan of the sheltered balconies. On a port-intensive cruise, you will likely be off the ship a lot of the daytime, so whether the balcony is glass or enclosed isn't a big deal, at least not to me. And the sheltered balcony is less expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would always choose a sheltered balcony for transatlantic crossings and short trips as when the weather is bad they are still usable, I find the cheaper cost  a plus point too, if you just want fresh air an obstructed balcony is a good cheaper option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would also add that you have a better experience in terms of being closer to the sea in a sheltered balcony on decks 4/5 with uninterrupted views (when standing!).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had only limited experience in a sheltered balcony. I was assigned one when I tested positive for covid a couple of years back. My only caution is that you can't sit down and see the water.

Maybe it's because I'm short, but I had to stand on tip toes to see over the side. For a TA, it's probably not a big deal, but for more scenic cruise, beware if you're short!

Yes, I am a bit over 6 ft and I could only see the sea, when sat down, if the seat was in the most upright position and close to the opening. The big downside to sheltered balconies is that you are not sitting directly in the sun and there's a lot of metal on the balcony if you are sitting down for any length of time. A lot depends on the weather and sea conditions when moving since the glass fronted balconies can be unusable when sailing. But if the weather is nice and you are in port or tootling along then you may miss out if in a sheltered balcony.

Memorial Day Sale

• Opens May 16, 2024, to May 29, 2024
  • Fares from $699
  • Onboard Credit
  • 189 voyages

Offers apply only to the first two guests per booking.

Promo Code: RD9

Itineraries include

• 2024 Alaska, Australasia, Canada New England, Caribbean, Mediterranean, and Transatlantic Crossings.
  • 2025 Alaska, Asia, Australasia, Canada New England, Caribbean, Northern Europe, Panama Canal, Transatlantic Crossings, and Segments of the World.
  • 2026 Caribbean.

Combinability:  Offer is combinable with Cruise Sales, Group amenities and counts toward TCs.  Offer is not combinable with Onboard Sales programs, Grills promo ZED (Gratuities and drinks package), and other select offers including, Past Guest, Negotiated, Flash, Interline, and Travel Agent rates.  Offer may not combine with exclusive offers, regional offers, and negotiated rates. This promotion is subject to capacity control.  

• Thanks 1