Cunard Review

Chalkey21

22 minutes ago, Chalkey21 said:

I went down to the buffet at 2300.

We don't eat that late. 1930 is about as late as we would ever consider. It's one of the reasons neither of us is overweight anymore. Maybe a Grand Marnier round about that time.

I don't know how long your cruises usually are but maybe two weeks of drab food is ok, not for a 61 nighter.

Two weeks has been our longest. I couldn't do 61 nights. I was homesick for where I've chosen to live after about 12 nights on QM2.

I am interested to hear what other cruises you have been on.

We've only done Alaska (Princess) and Panama Transit (P&O). Having done them we're not really interested in "cruising", I've no interest in port calls.

Shame you never tried QE2 as that was exceptional.

Concorde West and QE2 East was our bucket list. We couldn't afford either while they were operational.

We found the food in Britannia Club restaurant, where we took all our meals, to be consistently good. There was always at least three mains and a couple of desserts (same menu as MDR) we would have been happy with and when there wasn't something that we were keen to taste we resorted to the a la carte menu.

• Like 1

My main grudge was the buffet  not the Brittania restaurant, although service was vety slow. Food ok but not presented very well.

The buffet food was never hot and even seasoned Cunarders called it a canteen, it deteriorated more after Cape Town when even more passengers joined the ship.

The best food in the canteen was the porridge and the soups.

• Like 2

I just got off QE. I have to concur about the buffet food at least at breakfast.(We never ate there for dinner) Half the time the fruit was from a can (they called it a compote --don't think so) and breakfast items were always the same. No variety whatsoever -same smoothie of the day, same pancakes, waffles, sausage etc.  You would think they could offer French Toast, but I guess you have to be a grills passenger to get that, along with berries. I had a Blueberry Muffin that had 1 1/2 blueberries in it. Lunch we usually had salads and they were fine.  We also had a burger at the Lido Grill. It was so-so. It needed seasoning, was a bit tough and my husband's veggie burger was the worst he has ever tried. (His words, not mine) The sweet potato fries were, for me, overcooked (but others may like them done that way.) The food in Brittania Dining Room was good., although more vegetables on the entree plate would have been nice. My entree last night had one forkful of spinach on it and one carrot. The Salmon was great. The other fish dishes were well done.  Also, why no pasta choice? There was only one dish I chose that I didn't like and one beef dish I had was tough. Beef Wellington was good.  The pop-up restaurants in the Lido were excellent, especially Bamboo. The shrimp toast was amazing. One of the waiters did tell us that they tone down the heat of the Indian food because not everyone likes it. Golden Lion was good, but you can't describe the burger as BBQ Pulled Beef to someone from Texas and serve what obviously wasn't as described. ( The burger tasted fine)  Food is subjective, though, and everyone has different opinions. It was our first time on Cunard and we have already booked for next year, as the positives won over the canned fruit, uninspiring breakfast buffet and so-so burger.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chalkey21 said:

My main grudge was the buffet  not the Brittania restaurant, although service was vety slow. Food ok but not presented very well.

The buffet food was never hot and even seasoned Cunarders called it a canteen, it deteriorated more after Cape Town when even more passengers joined the ship.

The best food in the canteen was the porridge and the soups.

But why eat in the buffet?

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But why eat in the buffet?

I can't speak for @Chalkey21 but for me the buffet offers a more casual less formal option.

As someone who's suited and booted in everyday life it's nice to be somewhat more casual whilst away.

Not only that, MDR meals are not exactly the biggest, so even though I do frequent the restaurant, I normally end up in the buffet later anyway 😄.

• Like 2

That is one of the reasons we ate in the buffet, the other being that both my husband and I had relly swollen feet and we couldn't get proper shoes on.

We had more lunches on sea days(and we had a lot of them owing that we eere rerouted from the Suez Canal) in the MDR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S1971 said:

I can't speak for @Chalkey21 but for me the buffet offers a more casual less formal option.

As someone who's suited and booted in everyday life it's nice to be somewhat more casual whilst away.

Not only that, MDR meals are not exactly the biggest, so even though I do frequent the restaurant, I normally end up in the buffet later anyway 😄.

But the formal dress requirements are only two nights a week.

We thought the dining room meals were generally a bit too big, and often asked for smaller portions! So it obviously varies.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

We thought the dining room meals were generally a bit too big, and often asked for smaller portions! So it obviously varies.

I was a bit surprised to read that Britannia portions are too small for some. But there is no problem asking for 2 starters or 2 desserts or starter, salad and soup for example. Or a bowl of chips.

For shoes in Britannia, I think a blind eye would be turned to casual shoes even on a gala night, I very much doubt anything would be said and in any case most of the time one's feet are under a table.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I wouldn't think jean's & trainers and t-shirt would be suitable attire for the MDR, not least it would be frowned upon I'm sure by others.

Portion sizes obviously differ from person to person, but for me small meat cuts, 3 small potato's and a couple of green beans etc, doesn't quite fill me up.

4 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

But there is no problem asking for 2 starters or 2 desserts or starter, salad and soup for example. Or a bowl of chips.

No disrespect, but I wouldn't even consider asking to double up.

Just like I wouldn't turn up to the MDR in my casual dress, hence going to the buffet when I do.

4 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I wouldn't think jean's & trainers and t-shirt would be suitable attire for the MDR, not least it would be frowned upon I'm sure by others.

Portion sizes obviously differ from person to person, but for me small meat cuts, 3 small potato's and a couple of green beans etc, doesn't quite fill me up.

It is part of a three course meal, though, and there are also rolls. I know some people do ask for extra veg.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I was a bit surprised to read that Britannia portions are too small for some. But there is no problem asking for 2 starters or 2 desserts or starter, salad and soup for example. Or a bowl of chips.

For shoes in Britannia, I think a blind eye would be turned to casual shoes even on a gala night, I very much doubt anything would be said and in any case most of the time one's feet are under a table.

I KNOW a 'blind eye' will be turned for croc wearers if those would be the only shoes for instance which could be worn.

If eyes can be turned on Mary, then they definitely can on her sisters so casual/swollen feet shoes will not be an issue and quite frankly, if it became one, I'd say the polite equivalent of 'go take a hike'!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, S1971 said:

No disrespect, but I wouldn't even consider asking to double up.

Just like I wouldn't turn up to the MDR in my casual dress, hence going to the buffet when I do.

Sometimes staff can be aware portions are a little light and will double up with pleasure. No problem at all.

I had two Tom Yam soups for lunch one day. Sweated for it at the time but so delicious I did an Oliver Twist!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Sometimes staff can be aware portions are a little light and will double up with pleasure. No problem at all.

I had two Tom Yam soups for lunch one day. Sweated for it at the time but so delicious I did an Oliver Twist!

Obviously we are all different, as I said I wouldn't ever ask for extra portions, I eat what I'm served, hence the reason for using the buffet later or for my evening meal, I can then serve myself with the appropriate portion size.

1 minute ago, S1971 said:

Obviously we are all different, as I said I wouldn't ever ask for extra portions, I eat what I'm served, hence the reason for using the buffet later or for my evening meal, I can then serve myself with the appropriate portion size.

Why is there a difference between, say, having extra veg, and going and having extra stuff later in the buffet? Apart from having to do the carrying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Why is there a difference between, say, having extra veg, and going and having extra stuff later in the buffet? Apart from having to do the carrying.

Because that's what I do, it's as simple as that.

• Like 1

Couple on my last cruise had two entrees every night. In the end as it was the same wait staff they would come and check nobody else wanted another portion.  I always ask for two steaks when it’s surf and turf as I don’t like the lobster or whatever the surf offering is. Never had a problem with that. Have been known to have two desserts if I can’t decide or if it’s hot lemon  soufflé. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

Couple on my last cruise had two entrees every night. In the end as it was the same wait staff they would come and check nobody else wanted another portion.  I always ask for two steaks when it’s surf and turf as I don’t like the lobster or whatever the surf offering is. Never had a problem with that. Have been known to have two desserts if I can’t decide or if it’s hot lemon  soufflé. 

A week or so ago I was on QM and the venison pasty was great so I had another. On another evening it was roast beef and I asked for double beef and I suspect they were teaching me a lesson by putting a whole cow on my plate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We didn't find that portion sizes were less than we required on QM2. I was a bit worried having seen pictures of massive servings of Beef Wellington, however what we received was manageable.

I hate wasting food and generally in a restaurant our approach is to order a main course then in the unlikely event that it's not enough we can order another savoury or a cheese course before our dessert.

On a cruise I wouldn't hesitate to request more of something I particularly liked if I was still hungry although it's not something I've ever done.

• Like 1