The Silversea wine appreciation society.

DavyWavey70

Mr Waveform, 

A topic close to my heart, or - should I say - my liver?  We are boarding Silver Muse in a month, for a 14 day cruise up and down the west coast of Alaska, and I want to plumb the depths of how much good grape squeezings I can pry out of the SS Corporate Safe.  I shall dutifully submit a full report, upon my return.  Assuming I don't fall overboard....

• Like 5

I appreciate wine.

I like almost any wine.  My preference is if someone else buys it and pours it in a mug for me. And when my mug is empty buys more.  It has in fact never happened,  

I am the dribbling man in Dirty Rotten Rascals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Mr Waveform, 

A topic close to my heart, or - should I say - my liver?  We are boarding Silver Muse in a month, for a 14 day cruise up and down the west coast of Alaska, and I want to plumb the depths of how much good grape squeezings I can pry out of the SS Corporate Safe.  I shall dutifully submit a full report, upon my return.  Assuming I don't fall overboard....

Take your wine with you so that you do not need to subsequently whine. :classic_laugh:

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Falling overboard is very frowned upon here WWFT, whereas falling over in general is par for the course. Vouvray Las Vegas.

I saw what you did there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Davey, one of my favorite white wines is Vouvrey Chenin Blanc.......from France, rather than Vegas😁.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm still amazed at the number of bottles offered by SS that sell for home retail or sometimes even a bit less.  Antinori wines were a particularly good shipboard value when we last sailed.  We've not sailed them all, but this was the first line we've encountered that offered wine at those kinds of prices.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I appreciate wine.

I like almost any wine.  My preference is if someone else buys it and pours it in a mug for me. And when my mug is empty buys more.  It has in fact never happened,  

I am the dribbling man in Dirty Rotten Rascals. 

You bring the bread and I'll fill your mug!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff, you thought correctly! I've already marked it in my Google Maps and we may try to get there in December either on the way to (or home from) Helsinki. Looks great!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Jeff, you thought correctly! I've already marked it in my Google Maps and we may try to get there in December either on the way to (or home from) Helsinki. Looks great!

Glad it was helpful.

We’ve been talking about taking a few trips back.  We are so fortunate that Paris is so close and so miss our stomping grounds of  Coupole, Bofinger, Lipp etc and all those great value Michelin lunches. 

A bit surprised by the ptice of the laurent perrier grand siecle. 

Hope you get there. 

Jeff

7 hours ago, canderson said:

I'm still amazed at the number of bottles offered by SS that sell for home retail or sometimes even a bit less.  Antinori wines were a particularly good shipboard value when we last sailed.  We've not sailed them all, but this was the first line we've encountered that offered wine at those kinds of prices.

And they still are. The whites can be expensive, however there are some very good value wines amongst the reds.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2024 at 4:55 AM, Qld13 said:

Just saw this on Youtube, announced yesterday.

and this on Silversea Website

https://www.silversea.com/about-silversea/press-releases/2024/may/silversea-accounces-duval-leroy-as-champagne-of-choice.html

Duval Leroy lost the deliveries of" house Champagne" to Hapag Lloyd cruises  some 2 years ago - so obviously the company was searching for another cruise company.

IMHO  somewhat better as that Heidsieck Monopole  , but I am afraid Pommery will be withdrawn on SS.

This perfectly sums up Silversea administration across the whole company. One that can’t communicate or organise a festive occasion in a brewery, or winery in this instance. 
Wine list in the Kaiseki restaurant, Silver Moon. 

IMG_0366.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vistaman said:

Duval Leroy lost the deliveries of" house Champagne" to Hapag Lloyd cruises  some 2 years ago - so obviously the company was searching for another cruise company.

IMHO  somewhat better as that Heidsieck Monopole  , but I am afraid Pommery will be withdrawn on SS.

Do you know, what was the replacement at HAPAG-LLOYD?

Quality wise (personal taste) goes up from Heidsieck Monopole to Duroy to Pommery and up…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipsmail said:

Do you know, what was the replacement at HAPAG-LLOYD?

Quality wise (personal taste) goes up from Heidsieck Monopole to Duroy to Pommery and up…

I am a Champagne freak - sorry  and I like to discover unknown houses as well 

Hapag Lloyd did replace Duval by Jacquart Mosaique  and sometimes for the half bottles in the "basic" suites Piper Heidsieck 

My favourite brands are Deutz , Gosset and Ruinart and Roederer 😊

Duval Leroy  is available in Belgium in the most expensive supermarket chain - 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, vistaman said:

I am a Champagne freak - sorry  and I like to discover unknown houses as well 

Hapag Lloyd did replace Duval by Jacquart Mosaique  and sometimes for the half bottles in the "basic" suites Piper Heidsieck 

My favourite brands are Deutz , Gosset and Ruinart and Roederer 😊

Duval Leroy  is available in Belgium in the most expensive supermarket chain - 

I love Deutz.

Buying Deutz for my daughter’s wedding nearly bankrupted us … 🙂

I wonder whether you like Laurent Perrier Blancs de Blancs Nature? It’s back to the original process ie sans dosage.   Oddly for me based on my previous postings - it’s chardonnay. 😱  Luckily this is where most of my roughly 1.6m BA miles went a few years back and we still have loads and loads. 

Do you also enjoy non-champagnes?  If so what has been your proudest finds?

EDITED:

ps ….. who exactly drinks Blue Top Monopole …… 👿

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1