Oceanview with Large Balcony vs Junior Suite on Utopia

My daughter and I are going on Utopia this September for 4 nights.

We were booked in a Oceanview with Large Balcony on deck 8 but decided to upgrade to a Junior Suite on deck 11.  The price difference is a whopping $2,114 - Ouch!  Over double the price of the cruise!

I have cruised in both but taking my adult daughter who has never been on the Oasis class and was tempted to change the reservation.

Now thinking about going back to deck 8 Oceanview.  That price is just outrageous for a 4 night cruise and will be be too hot to really enjoy our larger balcony.  I know we would enjoy the extra space and walk in closet but ....

What would you do?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, EbayCruiser said:

We were booked in a Oceanview with Large Balcony on deck 8 but decided to upgrade to a Junior Suite on deck 11.  The price difference is a whopping $2,114 - Ouch!  Over double the price of the cruise!

I have cruised in both but taking my adult daughter who has never been on the Oasis class and was tempted to change the reservation.

Now thinking about going back to deck 8 Oceanview.  That price is just outrageous for a 4 night cruise and will be be too hot to really enjoy our larger balcony.  I know we would enjoy the extra space and walk in closet but ....

What would you do?

That price difference is CRAZY even for a 7 night sailing....never mind a   4 night sailing.....defiantly not worth it. Take another cruise with the savings downgrading back to your original cabin.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bajathree said:

That price difference is CRAZY even for a 7 night sailing....never mind a   4 night sailing.....defiantly not worth it. Take another cruise with the savings downgrading back to your original cabin.

47 minutes ago, EbayCruiser said:

What would you do?

Take the money you would have spent on Utopia and get a 7-day sailing on another ship. Let others pay the "new ship" premium.

58 minutes ago, EbayCruiser said:

What would you do?

A lot of people do the JS, because of the bath tub and you get 1 extra loyalty pt. Trying to run up their loyalty pts they are willing to pay the extra. 

I've looked myself because of the extra loyalty pt, just couldnt justify it like you said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

A lot of people do the JS, because of the bath tub and you get 1 extra loyalty pt. Trying to run up their loyalty pts they are willing to pay the extra. 

I've looked myself because of the extra loyalty pt, just couldnt justify it like you said.

Agreed. Not even close to worth it to me but I also don't care about my cabin.

I was one of the crazy ones that did exactly that.  I changed my booking to the Sky Junior Duite.  I’m going with my daughter who has not been in this class ship and my 1 year old grandson.  I’ve always wanted to do a suite, this way I get to experience a suite with my daughter on a new ship.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, whit53 said:

Sky Junior Duite

SKY makes it a completely different situation IMO. One still has to weigh the cost/benefits (and value is subjective) but getting Sky Class perks like CK access & SL drinks makes the deference from a balcony cabin MUCH greater IMO.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

SKY makes it a completely different situation IMO. One still has to weigh the cost/benefits (and value is subjective) but getting Sky Class perks like CK access & SL drinks makes the deference from a balcony cabin MUCH greater IMO.

At $500/night those suite benefits aren't near worth it. Better value getting 2 connecting ocean view balconies and still having money left over.

13 minutes ago, bajathree said:

At $500/night those suite benefits aren't near worth it. Better value getting 2 connecting ocean view balconies and still having money left over.

This is why I said value is subjective. I also have no idea what the poster who mentioned the Sky JS paid compared what price they could have paid for OV balconies.

Personally, I don't think any of these are worth it. I sail interiors b/c I don't use my balcony when I have one and spend almost no time in my cabin except to sleep, shower, and get changed. That's my subjective valuation, of course. I totally understand why others like balconies... but they hold zero value for me.

• Like 2

Go back to the balcony room.  We are just off Allure and while we love JS & above the cost these days is crazy.  We booked a regular ocean balcony room and added the Key to our reservations.  The room was fine, the Key got us the welcome lunch, internet, excellent seats at the shows and discounts on Spec Dining.  Yes it was a couple hundred $$ but that's nothing compared to what it would have cost to upgrade to a JS or better.  

We are now booking a 4 night on the Utopia and doing the same thing.  Not sure we would like the balcony room on a longer(10 nights or more) cruise but for a short cruise it's just fine.  

Definitely too much of a difference for us. Only exception would be if it brought you from Emerald to Diamond (as JS gets you double points), but even then 2k is a lot.  Then again, for us, lately we've been booking interiors as even the difference to a balcony is up there.  We'd rather book another cruise than be specific with the room.  In your case, both have a balcony so both will be great rooms I'd save the 2k and select the large balcony room.

• Like 1