available on-board sundries and shopping

lovetosew

The shop has very limited meds. I learned the hard way on a cruise in 2019 in Scandinavia (Viking Homelands) when I had a bad cold at the end of the trip. I had some antihistamines with me but the shop had none of the usual cold medications I am used to at home in the U.S.—DayQuil, NyQuil, cough medicine, etc. We ended in Stockholm and I thought—I’ll get some meds at the airport there—but nope. Flew to Norway for five days after the cruise—and nothing in that airport either! Only mild lozenges! Scandinavians want you to see a doctor to get a prescription for cold medications! I used up all my anti-histamines and then just suffered until I got home.

Moral of the story—bring your own cold medications—I do now!

• Like 3

I have a small kit of OTC meds that I bring on every cruise.  You can never count on the shop having what you need, nor can you count on it being open when you need something.

I bring:

• Antihistamine tablets
  • Advil
  • Tylenol Extra Strength
  • Tylenol Back
  • Imodium
  • Tylenol Cold and Flu
  • Heartburn Relief 
  • Charcoal caps
  • Probiotic 
  • Antibiotic Ointment 
  • Gravol

Some think that this is overkill, but I have a type of pill organizer that is specifically made for carrying these types of meds in small quantities.  I probably bring 8 or so of each pill depending on how many fit in each compartment.  This has saved us many times from having to find a pharmacy.

I also travel with large size bandaids for your heels if you get a blister.  These are large (2.5" X 3") so they are above the heel of your shoe when applied and then they are not rubbed off from walking.  The typical finger style bandaid never stays put on a heel blister.

This type on Amazon even comes with cut out labels for all sorts of brands and pills.  The one I have does not have the cutouts, but I just applied labels to each compartment.

image.thumb.png.0970cfb67491a9a4160289c61d87387d.png 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

The ship has a doctor on board who can supply medications. 

In Europe shops that would be called a pharmacy in the US don't sell a wide range of medications. 

You need a dispensing chemist or a pharmacy (which in Europe supply medications and toiletries) look for the green cross or snake on a stick thing above the door. 

Tylenol is paracetamol and is widely available. Ask for the active ingredient not brand name, most people buy a generic version

We bring 

Ibuprofen

Paracetamol 

Immodium

Anti histamines

Wound dressings

Antiseptic wipes

Steri strips

+prescription stuff

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

We also always bring eye drops. The impact of flying and changing atmosphere can play havoc with eyes and having quick access to drops is a great help if needed 

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

My understanding is, yes, in limited supply and type, but there would be a cost associated with this.  The Ship's Doctor is not a free visit for an antihistamine.

I may be way off base with this, but I don't think that Viking Medical Centre operates by dispensing free medications, OTC or prescription. 

• Like 2

Having been a backpacker of yore, I always pack Moleskin. If I get a hot spot on my foot then Moleskin goes on asap. If it develops into a blister I cut out a donut of Moleskin to protect it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Another caveat about the ship’s doctor is that if you present with any sort of illness asking for medications you could be quarantined. Case in point—on a different cruise in 2019, I had not packed any Imodium or pepto bismal. After a night out on a street food tour in HCMC (with a reputable guide—that’s for you @CDNPolar 😼), I contracted “Uncle Ho’s Revenge” and called down to the ships’s medical center. I asked about medication and if I should come to the clinic—they abruptly said no, we’ll send someone to you. I got my medication but could not leave my stateroom for 48 hours (24 hours after no symptoms). They at first threatened to quarantine my spouse too but reversed that readily (an inexperienced nurse). I was too sick to care about the quarantine anyway, and it was a sea day followed by Sihanoukville, Cambodia (which DH said was an awful port—nice tropical landscaping at the port though from my balcony view!). I only had some mild food poisoning but I’m sure the doc wanted to make sure it wasn’t Noro or something else contagious!

I read on these boards that after Covid protocols were dropped on Viking, if you asked to be tested on board and were positive you would absolutely be quarantined. If you tested yourself & didn’t inform the ship, you could roam freely—but I would hope folks self quarantined or at least wore a mask & social distanced when infected.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

My understanding is, yes, in limited supply and type, but there would be a cost associated with this.  The Ship's Doctor is not a free visit for an antihistamine.

I may be way off base with this, but I don't think that Viking Medical Centre operates by dispensing free medications, OTC or prescription. 

They don't do prescription refills, but they do have basics such as mild painkillers and motion sickness meds, as well as the emergency hospital stuff. I was offered paracetamol after going posterior over proboscis. 

No idea what the charge would be, but they are available 

Edited by KBs mum

You guys sound like my kind of travelers. Will pack these and thought of a couple of more items; a roll of tension tape in case of a twisted ankle and my Tolaccea ankle sleeves (Amazon) that can be either chilled or heated as needed. Oh yes, my collapsible cane that has a nifty light just in case! 

• Like 2

Charges by the Medical center may have been covered by any trip insurance especially if purchased from Viking when you booked the cruise.

We also always carry over the counter meds and Amoxicillin, mole skin, bandages, & elastic wrap.

All shops on board are closed when the ship is in port.

The fact that the shops on board are closed when in port is an important fact not many may think of. This is another reason to be self sufficient on our travels.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

We also always bring eye drops. The impact of flying and changing atmosphere can play havoc with eyes and having quick access to drops is a great help if needed 

I never travel without my bottle of eye drops.  😉 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lovetosew said:

The fact that the shops on board are closed when in port is an important fact not many may think of. This is another reason to be self sufficient on our travels.

Makes me wonder how the jewelry store does any business. Only open, for the most part, when folks are at dinner or shows, or in bed. That combined with ridiculous prices would seem to work against any success.

Just now, duquephart said:

Makes me wonder how the jewelry store does any business. Only open, for the most part, when folks are at dinner or shows, or in bed. That combined with ridiculous prices would seem to work against any success.

They sell product.  I have seen many people buying.

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

They sell product.  I have seen many people buying.

At their prices "people" might be replaced with a different word.

1 minute ago, duquephart said:

We went in, out of curiosity, they tried to get me to upgrade my watch. Didn't work, was wearing my retirement rolex.

It seemed to us to be standard cheap jeweller stuff at a premium

The jewelry has always been quite nice. They had some stunning Zultanite on our recent cruise. I have seen Tissot and Citizen for watches - you could have gotten one to set your Rolex to the correct time.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, KBs mum said:

In Europe shops that would be called a pharmacy in the US don't 

We bring 

Ibuprofen

Paracetamol 

Immodium

Anti histamines

Wound dressings

Antiseptic wipes

Steri strips

+prescription stuff

In addition, I always travel with an antibiotic for bacterial infections -- such as sinusitis and reactions to the local germ pool -- just in case.  Most of the time, they go unused but when needed, it is good not to have to go looking for a pharmacy.  

I use one of the felt bags we got on our first cruise that I use as our local medicine chest for cruises.  Last cruise I was on, I got charged $24 for a handful of OTC cough drops and thought that was for the birds.  I always carry:

Ibuprofen

Dayquil/Nyquil capsules

Sudafed (the good stuff)

Benedryl, both tablets and topical

Cough drops

Tums

Antibiotic ointment, alcohol wipes and band aids

Keflex and z packs 

Allergy eye drops, moisturizing eye drops

My visit to the ship doctor when I had a bad cold (not covid) was $124 (including the cough drops).  I was offered ibuprofen, but had my own cold meds of choice with me, so turned them down.  I had forgotten the bag of cough drops sitting on the bathroom counter at home.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KBs mum said:

We went in, out of curiosity, they tried to get me to upgrade my watch. Didn't work, was wearing my retirement rolex.

It seemed to us to be standard cheap jeweller stuff at a premium

The jewelry they do carry varies considerably.  On this cruise, there really isn’t much that struck my eye, but a few cruises ago there was a guy on from Columbia who brought emeralds.  He had a pair of gorgeous earrings I coveted, but not at $30k!  
They also had some work that was replicates of Faberge that were gorgeous.  Apparently it was work that was done by his grandson.  Those were gorgeous too.  I saw something similar in a jewelry store in Auckland, about the same price.  

• Like 1