*LIVE* from the Norwegian Joy – 7-Night Bermuda – May 12-19, 2024

11 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

@BirdTravels,  Thanks for sharing another outstanding and informative review😊

The games were very crowded every night. It was the most that The Bird has seen since the pandemic. Somewhat refreshing. 

• Like 1

The Bird was feeling a little peckish and wandered into the kitchen looking for a snack. After talking with the executive chef, the cooks all jumped into action the prepare bird food. 

IMG_5068.jpeg

IMG_5067.jpeg

IMG_5073.jpeg

IMG_5074.jpeg

IMG_5075.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5069.jpeg

IMG_5066.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Bird noted that the cheapy deep fried hash brown served on other cruise lines take 4 minutes in oil, the highly elevated country potatoes served on NCL ships take 15-20 minutes a batch plus prep time. 

IMG_5077.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

How the heck are you supposed to plug a shaver into that thing?

EDIT:  Oh wait, I think I see a couple of vertical slots hidden among the odd shaped things. Never mind...

Edited by schmoopie17

@BirdTravels thank you for the incredible, detailed review. It is full of great tips and tricks. Will be on Joy 6/16 and I learned several things that I will apply to our trip. I hope you were able to enjoy some R&R while you were also keeping everyone on land informed!

Bird, you ROCK!  Thank you so much for the extremely detailed and informative review!  I'm on the Joy on June 16, and it's been MANY years since I've sailed NCL from New York.  You are spurring many memories of MCT that I had forgotten.  All of your tips are duly noted.  Bless you!

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Cellars is the wine bar on the Joy. Across the fleet, NCL has really not developed the Cellars as a place to go and be seen. Other cruise lines have been far more successful at making their wine bars a destination

I agree. I loved the wine bar and was sad to see it eliminated on Prima. They had a great guitarist/singer at one point but it was never promoted so no one knew about it. We did a great wine tasting on Joy with Yulia. 

That's a wrap. Thanks for joining The Bird for a Mother's Day celebration on the beautiful Norwegian Joy.

The Bird is now back home after a wonderful week on the Joy. There may be a few more posts, but if you have questions, please ask. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi Bird.

Thanks for the review.

We are on the Gem later in the month. We are going to spend a day in either Hamilton or St George's.

Which do you suggest?

I asked this on another thread, but will probably get less views/responses.

I've never really paid attention to the laundry on the ship, since we usually bring over-stuffed suitcases and have never needed laundry. However, on our upcoming 10-day cruise we will be doing carry-ons only, following three days in Rome...so laundry will be an issue.

Is it typical to have to wait until the fifth day to send laundry out? By the way, this will be our first Platinum cruise, if that makes a difference, since the laundry will be free.

I figure if anyone would know, @BirdTravelswould.

37 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I've never really paid attention to the laundry on the ship, since we usually bring over-stuffed suitcases and have never needed laundry. However, on our upcoming 10-day cruise we will be doing carry-ons only, following three days in Rome...so laundry will be an issue.

Is it typical to have to wait until the fifth day to send laundry out? By the way, this will be our first Platinum cruise, if that makes a difference, since the laundry will be free.

The free bag due to Latitudes status can be sent any day of the cruise.

7 hours ago, redlock said:

Hi Bird.

Thanks for the review.

We are on the Gem later in the month. We are going to spend a day in either Hamilton or St George's.

Which do you suggest?

St Georges, due to the free ferry from your pier.  Lots of history, and easy to get to a beach if you'd like.   But the town has lots to see and do.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

As a platinum member, you can send your laundry out on any day. You should inquire with Cruise Next if you can send out more than one bag, per person, on a 10-day. As your stateroom attendant for a "big bag" (the picture below shows the difference between a "normal" bag and a "big" bag). The bigger bags are only available on some ships. 

The Bird avoids the Fill-a-Bag special day for non-top-tier passengers since the Laundry will be busy and turn around will be slower. 

IMG_5118.jpeg

IMG_5106.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5110.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5107.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5112.jpeg

IMG_5113.jpeg

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5115.jpeg

IMG_5105.jpeg

IMG_5117.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, redlock said:

Hi Bird.

Thanks for the review.

Which do you suggest?

St. George is a UNESCO World Heritage site. You need to do some advance planning on what you want to do there. Hamilton is more of a downtown area with some touristy shops. Either is fine. The Bird would go to St. George. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 8:51 AM, BirdTravels said:

Sorry. We don’t have Vibe passes. 

In general, The Birds don’t participate or endorse the Vibe especially with larger and larger portions of the public spacing being taken up as a money making activity by NCL. 

Agree 100%.  So frustrating that there is less and less free public space included in the cruise fare.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 6:56 PM, BirdTravels said:

I don’t have a menu from the district. The following is the menu online on the ship, but it it is normally not up to date. 

IMG_4535.jpeg

IMG_4536.jpeg

IMG_5091.jpeg

IMG_5092.jpeg

IMG_5093.jpeg

IMG_5094.jpeg

IMG_5095.jpeg

IMG_5096.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

A Vibe alternative is the Spice H20. It has a supersized hot tub, loungers, chairs, and tables. While the hot tub is really nice, if the ship is rocking, there will be waves in the tub and if the ship is really rocking, they will close the hot tub to prevent passengers from banging into each other in the waves. 

IMG_5119.jpeg

IMG_5124.jpeg

IMG_5123.jpeg

IMG_5125.jpeg

IMG_5120.jpeg

IMG_5121.jpeg

IMG_5097.jpeg

IMG_5098.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rainmakerjjo said:

Great review!  Thank you so much!  Will be on Joy in a couple weeks in Haven.  When abouts did boarding on the ship start?

Haven boarding started at 11:00. Passengers requiring assistance around 11:00. Priority ambassador/ Diamond/ Sapphire boarding started 11:10 followed by Platinum followed by general boarding by group number.