Ovation Of The Seas - 3 Day Sampler - Choose Cabin Or Not??

HI

My wife and I are thinking of going on the OAS in November. We have a choice whether to pick our own room or not. What are the benefits of both? My wife fears she may get sea-sick.

8 hours ago, Shane2801 said:

What are the benefits of both?

Welcome to CC.

You get a discount by giving up on location of cabin.

The ship is large and stable enough that sea sickness should not be an issue.

• Like 1

The options to which you are referring is a standard booking where you select the stateroom, and a guarantee (GTY) booking, where the cruise line makes the selection. The primary difference is with the fare you pay, with GTY's being lower. Also, the GTY staterooms can be assigned anytime from when they are booked to boarding day, with them typically being assigned a couple of weeks ahead of sailing.  But you have to wait for your assignment with a GTY.

As mentioned, if there are concerns with motion sickness, mid-ship lower deck locations would be best and would also be best assured if you are selecting them yourselves.  However, with the GTY option, once assigned if you are not happy with the location, you can contact whomever you booked through and request a change to a different location within the assigned sub-category.  They will be happy to do so based on availability, which, however, is based on booking volume and not assured.

So for the lower fare you take your chances on where the stateroom will be assigned and whether or not there will be available options to move to if you are not happy with the location.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shane2801 said:

HI

My wife and I are thinking of going on the OAS in November. We have a choice whether to pick our own room or not. What are the benefits of both? My wife fears she may get sea-sick.

I was watching another aite for mariner this past week and I cant tell you how many threads I saw where can I get sea sick pills. Medical forward deck 1 does give them out free, but many newbies were sea sick. 

I'd choose mid ship my first cruise and see how it goes. Probably odds are she will be fine. But first cruise maybe dont take a chance and pay the difference if it's not a lot. I personally prefer toward the aft and dining room and buffet back there and easy access to pool deck. 

But mid ship the least motion. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

However, with the GTY option, once assigned if you are not happy with the location, you can contact whomever you booked through and request a change to a different location within the assigned sub-category. 

I suspect the OP is booking in the Aussie market (three-day Ovation sailing from Sydney with no ports) and that may not be available there.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

I suspect the OP is booking in the Aussie market (three-day Ovation sailing from Sydney with no ports) and that may not be available there.

Good point as I am not aware of what different rules may apply for that region. But would not have know that as I did not check the sailing to see it was an Australian itinerary! LOL

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

But would not have know that as I did not check the sailing to see it was an Australian itinerary!

Ovation splits her time between Australia and Alaska (and a Nov sailing eliminates Alaska). Also, there are no "sampler" sailings out of the US usually.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Ovation splits her time between Australia and Alaska (and a Nov sailing eliminates Alaska). Also, there are no "sampler" sailings out of the US usually.

I just recalled that as we were on Ovation for her second leg from Hawaii repositioning from Australia to Alaska in April 2019, and clearly November would be after her return to Australia.  Thanks for assisting in getting the cobwebs out of my aging brain!

16 hours ago, Shane2801 said:

HI

You might save a couple of bucks but I like to pick a cabin near the lift.

It’s a big ship and it will probably just be floating around off Newcastle for a couple of days . I doubt you will get sick ,they give out seasick tablets at guest service.

• Like 1