New Caledonia locked down.

5 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-17/new-caledonia-la-tontouta-international-airport-reopens/103985048

It will be a while before things get back to normal.  Can't see cruising stops resuming anytime soon.

It could be years. The trigger for the violence hasn't been resolved, just deferred.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that link @Mycruiseobsession. It was an interesting read. Our cruise is still scheduled for 2 stops in New Caledonia. We decided as soon as the news of riots and death broke, that we would stay on the ship for those stops. There is nothing in the article to suggest we will change our mind by April next year. I suspect the itinerary for our cruise may well skip New Caledonia altogether.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for that link @Mycruiseobsession. It was an interesting read. Our cruise is still scheduled for 2 stops in New Caledonia. We decided as soon as the news of riots and death broke, that we would stay on the ship for those stops. There is nothing in the article to suggest we will change our mind by April next year. I suspect the itinerary for our cruise may well skip New Caledonia altogether.

P&O still have excursions in New Caledonia listed on cruise control for our December cruise, but I very much doubt the ship will be visiting the area.

• Like 1

These people are only hurting themselves. Tourists will find other places to visit. If the "islanders" want to make a point to the French, protests should be staged in France.

I hear that there are a few international events going on/coming up that would certainly grab the attention of the French and rest of the world. 

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

As long as Smartraveller is in the orange no Australian cruises will dock there. There's  no way to covered for holiday travel insurance with that kind of warning.

Screenshot_20240701_102320_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1955ea12521bfcdf6c8ca379cb159811.jpg

Link:

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/pacific/new-caledonia

Posted (edited)

Too late to edit above but some travel insurance  companies  MAY still cover - I am just going by the one's I use.

Essential travel in my mind [Must take a cruise] is not necessarily  what insurers believe to be essential 😁

Screenshot_20240701_123642_Chrome.thumb.jpg.490dd80f06e9a46932b63481f4ab6caa.jpg

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
  • Haha 1

You definitely need to check whether your travel insurance will cover you when the Aust government Smarttraveller advice is at "Reconsider your need to travel" level. They don't lift it up to this level for many countries.

• Like 1

'Do Not Travel' is one up from 'Reconsider Your Need To Travel' on Smarttraveller.  It is mostly places where there is an active war occurring, like Ukraine.

'Reconsider' is less urgent, but still pretty scary to consider visiting. Egypt is currently on the 'Reconsider' list, because of its proximity to Gaza and Israel.

I'd be surprised if you could get travel insurance for either category, though I'm not sure what happens if you took out the travel insurance before the warning level was lifted higher.

Posted (edited)

I think Noumea will be off the cards longer than their optimistic September. 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/521560/5-new-caledonia-pro-independence-leaders-to-remain-in-mainland-france-jails-appeal-court

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/521566/french-pacific-news-in-brief

I am thinking the current unrelated riots in France would probably delay things further again.

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
Added 2nd link

September would have been a best case scenario. I am a little bit optimistic that Lifou could become available by Christmas, but Noumea could still be a year away.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 2:48 PM, arxcards said:

September would have been a best case scenario. I am a little bit optimistic that Lifou could become available by Christmas, but Noumea could still be a year away.

Not a huge loss if that comes to pass. Been to Noumea a couple of times before and weren't planning on doing much, if anything, there in December.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Not a huge loss if that comes to pass. Been to Noumea a couple of times before and weren't planning on doing much, if anything, there in December.

With Lifou, Noumea, Mare, IOP all out of action, there are only so many ships that can call at Mystery Island, Vila, Luganville in a single day. No issues till October, but then it gets a whole lot more complex after that.

• Like 2

I agree, having NC off the agenda presents a significant problem from late October onwards. Only Vila, Santo, and Mystery Island are available in the S Pac. Fiji is a longer trip. And NZ has proved to be tricky regarding meeting the bio requirements. I am concerned that ships will pull out of the Australian market. 

• Like 1

I've been following this thread a bit and it is very disappointing to read. We made our first visit to Oz last year and wanted to do another that would include a cruise or two including NC and other South Pacific spots. Hope things settle down, but I'm a realist so most likely it won't change enough to plan a trip there, at least in the immediate future. Wishful thinking.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ELep said:

I agree, having NC off the agenda presents a significant problem from late October onwards. Only Vila, Santo, and Mystery Island are available in the S Pac. Fiji is a longer trip. And NZ has proved to be tricky regarding meeting the bio requirements. I am concerned that ships will pull out of the Australian market. 

Not this year, at least not in the main. It is too late to pull a ship and successfully resell it somewhere else. The only way they would pull ships is if they can't fill them, and they have already forecast that and reduced ships to match. If a hull is dirty and fails inspection, there will be an unlucky cruise that would have a diverted itinerary to have the cleaning done.

There are a lot of negatives out there, with New Caledonia another issue for the pile. Yes, also NZ biosecurity, port fees, Coastal Trading Act, cost of living, no Red Sea transits, repetitive itineraries and possibly others. The cruise industry is rattling their chains for some of those issues via CLIA. There is nervousness & negativity running down through the T/A networks, travel publications & social media.

This negativity is industry driven due to a drop in sales, which despite all of these other issues, is a consequence of the cost of living and also the root cause for the reduced number of ships in 2024/5 and 2025/6. We had a really stable economy for the best part of 20 years, which supported strong growth in cruising. The current drop in cruise sales is also reflected by a drop in our domestic tourism.

As cruisers, I think we need to be careful what we wish for and try to look for the positives. These issues give a greater push to Royal's Lelepa and I am hearing that Carnival is looking at their own version. Then there are those rarely used stops like Wala & Champagne Bay that just need a bit of infrastructure to be more viable.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not this year, at least not in the main. It is too late to pull a ship and successfully resell it somewhere else. The only way they would pull ships is if they can't fill them, and they have already forecast that and reduced ships to match. If a hull is dirty and fails inspection, there will be an unlucky cruise that would have a diverted itinerary to have the cleaning done.

There are a lot of negatives out there, with New Caledonia another issue for the pile. Yes, also NZ biosecurity, port fees, Coastal Trading Act, cost of living, no Red Sea transits, repetitive itineraries and possibly others. The cruise industry is rattling their chains for some of those issues via CLIA. There is nervousness & negativity running down through the T/A networks, travel publications & social media.

This negativity is industry driven due to a drop in sales, which despite all of these other issues, is a consequence of the cost of living and also the root cause for the reduced number of ships in 2024/5 and 2025/6. We had a really stable economy for the best part of 20 years, which supported strong growth in cruising. The current drop in cruise sales is also reflected by a drop in our domestic tourism.

As cruisers, I think we need to be careful what we wish for and try to look for the positives. These issues give a greater push to Royal's Lelepa and I am hearing that Carnival is looking at their own version. Then there are those rarely used stops like Wala & Champagne Bay that just need a bit of infrastructure to be more viable.

The South Pacific is definitely problematic at the moment. Will be interesting to see what happens when we cruise there in December. With ports now limited we may find ourselves having a South Pacific cruise to nowhere. 🙄 Still, a cruise is a cruise and sea days have never bothered us so que sera sera.

• Like 4

Good post Geoff, Thanks. Very informative. I didn't know about the Royal plans for Lelepa. Hope that happens. The one they built in the Bahamas is very popular. We were there in April for the first time, pretty impressive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

The South Pacific is definitely problematic at the moment. Will be interesting to see what happens when we cruise there in December. With ports now limited we may find ourselves having a South Pacific cruise to nowhere. 🙄 Still, a cruise is a cruise and sea days have never bothered us so que sera sera.

Always good to enjoy the Queensland coast and hope they can organise the tendering on all the ships

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...