Canned Music in Public Spaces on Volendam?

Does Holland America pump in canned music in all the public areas of their ships at all times? Specifically the Volendam?

The last cruise I was on was Celebrity and this drove me nuts. It was impossible to find a truly quiet area of the ship. Even 2AM outdoors with no one else around -2008 Taylor Swift playing.

Thanks in advance!

• Thanks 1

On Volendam now - May 14, 2024.

Yes, background music in most places

Atmospheric in locations like Crow’s Nest and Explorer’s, more lively music around the pools.

Yes, and it's usually awful. Not the songs themselves, but the mixing of different styles, so they'll go from KC and the Sunshine Band to Dolly Parton five minutes later....it was bizarre.  

• Like 1

They did it many years ago until passengers complained and then they stopped, until passengers complained. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

On the Tales of the South Pacific last fall, I actually enjoyed the music they were playing. In fact a couple of times I thought they hacked one of my playlists. 😂 It’s hard to play music that will appeal to everyone. 

• Like 3

I happen to be one who loves silence but I will have to say that the music on the Volendam for the 94 days I was on was not intrusive. Actually, I rarely noticed it and I am pretty sensitive to sound. It was there but in the background.

Susan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, dchip said:

It’s hard to play music that will appeal to everyone. 

Impossible, actually, so HAL shouldn't even try. Let those of us who want peace & quiet have that, while those who want music use earbuds. 
Other than my cabin, the only place I have been able to find the sounds of silence is sitting on a deck chair on the promenade. The Pinnacle class ships doesn't even offer that. 😒

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Impossible, actually, so HAL shouldn't even try. Let those of us who want peace & quiet have that, while those who want music use earbuds. 
Other than my cabin, the only place I have been able to find the sounds of silence is sitting on a deck chair on the promenade. The Pinnacle class ships doesn't even offer that. 😒

Unfortunately, RuthC is correct….even the dry sauna has it.

I just thought of a great idea….on my next cruise, I’ll use the “Let us know” feature too ask if there are any indoor public areas that do not have piped in music…..and see how they respond. 

• Like 1

I’m also very sensitive to loud public music but so far here on the Zuiderdam I haven’t noticed any obtrusive music at all other than at the Seaview Pool during sail away. Pleasantly surprised that I can read or chat indoors and not have to yell!!      ~Nancy 

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

I’m also very sensitive to loud public music but so far here on the Zuiderdam I haven’t noticed any obtrusive music at all other than at the Seaview Pool during sail away. Pleasantly surprised that I can read or chat indoors and not have to yell!!      ~Nancy 

I don’t mind quiet  music…..as long as I have the option of not hearing it.  As far as I know, there is no public space on any damn ship where that option exists :(. It’s everywhere.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

I don’t mind quiet  music…..as long as I have the option of not hearing it.  As far as I know, there is no public space on any damn ship where that option exists :(. It’s everywhere.

I detest coming up to the Lido for breakfast, not a drop of coffee yet in me, and listening to that awful 'music' coming out of the speakers. 
Can't they let me regain consciousness in peace??? 

I realize the crew likes to hear the music, and it is great for their morale, but the passengers should come first. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

Well said Ruth C, as always. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

Ha, my thoughts exactly.

I don't mind atmospheric stuff throughout the day or inside, but it was just so jarring to me to be outside at midnight on my Celebrity ship and not have anywhere that wasn't playing early 2000s easy listening.

I'll take the quiet promenade, better than nothing!

• Like 1