Do You Think a 32 Day Cruise to the South Pacific is too Long? Are You Sure?

We think that was Suva we needed to scoot a little for refueling?

We didn't skip Papeete or Moorea.  We didn't skip any ports, and were fortunate the weather was pleasant every day. 

Other random thoughts - the amount of trash taken off the ship in Papeete, sure destined for another port, was huge. 

Our Hawaiian ambassadors couple were so informative, approachable, and really brought the warmth of the islands to our ship. 

We missed having port tees or any cruise specific souvenirs. Although a great many of us left with something that said South America on it!

Did anyone else enjoy the nightly very entertaining couple dancing to Golden Moon in the piazza?  They were posing for photos on the last night with guests.

We had the same thoughts about being safely back in LA before any propulsion issues arose. 

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Did anyone else enjoy the nightly very entertaining couple dancing to Golden Moon in the piazza?  They were posing for photos on the last night with guests.

If it’s the couple I think you are referring to, she was one step away from being a lap dancer. I was worried about him having a heart attack on the dance floor from the excitement. 

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

If it’s the couple I think you are referring to, she was one step away from being a lap dancer. I was worried about him having a heart attack on the dance floor from the excitement. 

Us too until we noticed they're elite, so he appears to be pretty well acclimated to the non-stop dancing.  

52 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

My thoughts exactly!!  It was VERY entertaining to watch.  We were wondering where they met 🤔 ... maybe an adult entertainment venue???

On 5/15/2024 at 12:56 PM, californiagirl said:

Oh my goodness!  I’m only on day 3 and I am literally laughing out loud!  I even had to read some parts to my husband. I have to run some errands but I will be back to finish reading your trip report. 

Glad you enjoyed it.

Jack

On 5/15/2024 at 1:33 PM, RNRcruisers said:

Haha too funny! I am reading this at work and almost gave myself away by laughing out loud! Sounds like a fun trip - definitely not too long!

It was a big long...but I am glad you worked your way through it.😀

Jack

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 1:15 PM, chamima said:

I'm so excited!!!!!!

Another Sailor Jack review and on my favorite cruise on my favorite ship!!!

Had to comment but I haven't read the review yet - so back to reading.

It is a great cruise  -this is the second time we have done this itinerary, but the first time on Sapphire.  It is a nice ship!

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 4:11 PM, startedwithamouse said:

We were on this trip with you - loved it!

The only thing we would do differently is ask permission in advance to fly home from Papeete after staying a couple nights in Moorea. Eight straight sea days home was just too long. 

I agree, eight sea days in a row was a long haul.  But we may have lucked out.  If you read on another thread, the Sapphire had propulsion issues on the leg up to Alaska and I think they may have missed some ports.  Imagine if the propulsion problems had happened on the way back to LA.  It could have been nine or ten sea days!

Jack

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SailorJack said:

I agree, eight sea days in a row was a long haul.  But we may have lucked out.  If you read on another thread, the Sapphire had propulsion issues on the leg up to Alaska and I think they may have missed some ports.  Imagine if the propulsion problems had happened on the way back to LA.  It could have been nine or ten sea days!

Jack

We love sea days so 8 was not a problem. It was the 5 hours we lost in those 8 days! 🥱😩🥱😂

Yes, it was good that the propulsion problem didn’t add to our trip!  Sounds like the problem has been fixed and all should be fine.

• Like 2

Sailor, you made my day.  I remember you from the South America trip from Rio to FL on the departed Star Princess.  Those were the days.

On 5/15/2024 at 4:56 PM, Essiesmom said:

If you are t familiar with Sailor Jack’s trip reports, go to his signature and start from the bottom.  I particularly like Dream Nightmare…. EM

It was the smoke on Deck 10 that reminded me of the fire we had on the NCL Dream. That fire started in the kitchen. But I did have fun writing that review!😆

Jack

On 5/15/2024 at 4:57 PM, shellbeachjim said:

We were one of the cabins which was evacuated (deck 10) when smoke filled our cabin. I have to say we were very impressed with the actions of the cabin steward staff in evacuating the cabins. They clearly had practiced this and were prepared.

You missed the funniest event, although I can't remember which port it was (Maui? or perhaps Apia?). After the ship docked and started to allow people to leave the ship, they had to pull the gangway back in so they could move the ship 5 meters back so they could begin refueling. It only took about 10 minutes. This was a new one to us, and it gave us a giant chuckle that lasted most of the day.

Yes we thought that was strange.  At first we thought that maybe we had parked in front of a fire hydrant, but then heard the announcement about the refueling.  So our trio actually went 10,000 miles and fifteen fifteen feet!😀.

PS How did your cabin smell afterwards?  Did you have smoke problems?

Jack

2 hours ago, SailorJack said:

How did your cabin smell afterwards?  Did you have smoke problems?

Our cabin steward (Fayas from India) did a great job and we couldn't smell anything after we were able to get back in. We actually suspected there was an a/c issue the day before. The ventilation system stopped working in the afternoon for an hour or so and the cabin got a bit toasty (the sun was hitting the windows and the time). The room cooled down when the ventilation system kicked back in, but failed spectacularly the next morning.

On 5/15/2024 at 11:46 AM, SailorJack said:

Is thirty two days to long to be on a ship? Ordinarily I would say yes, but Jill has signed us up for another 32 trip on Oceania. In any event, we are looking forward to getting home and replacing our bottles of Fiji water. 

We've just came back from a half of your cruise - 16-day Seaborn Pursuit Expedition from Tahiti to Solomon Islands.  We dragged ourselves from the ship at the end of cruise.  We would easily continue for the next 15-day leg to Guam (through Papua New Guinea); however, regretfully, we don't have enough vacation days.

Thanks so much for the report--always so entertaining.  We are seriously considering this cruise or a similar one on HAL but wondered if it was just too many sea days--even though we love sea days.,this seems like a a bit much.

The big draw to us is not having to fly, after the terribly long flight on our trip to Australia last year. Plus Tahiti, of course.

On 5/15/2024 at 11:33 PM, Torfamm said:

Thanks for sharing. What a fun read! I’m ready to book that itinerary.

It is a great sail.  I was our second one on this itinerary and we were surprised to hear from others aboard that it was their third or fourth! The ports are great and a lot of people find the sea days relaxing.

Jack

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SailorJack said:

It is a great sail.  I was our second one on this itinerary and we were surprised to hear from others aboard that it was their third or fourth! The ports are great and a lot of people find the sea days relaxing.

Jack

It’s definitely on the list. I’ve done a shorter cruise out of Tahiti but I’d love a longer itinerary! I excel at relaxing on sea days 😂

On 5/16/2024 at 4:50 AM, chamima said:

I hope that toilet paper got confiscated.

Princess warns you that regular toilet paper will clog their system and cause problems for everyone in nearby cabins.

Great review Sailor Jack.

We had friends on your cruise and i certainly got a different perspective from what they said.🤣

What happened to Papeete?

We did go to Papeete!  One of the criticisms I get is that my reviews are too long.  I normally try to keep them at 12 typewritten pages, but on this 32 day cruise I actually had 15 pages so I had to edit it. As it was, even after editing I had 13 pages....so Papeete would up on the cutting room floor.😅.

That is not to denigrate Papeete  - it is a great place to visit.  I just ran out of Space.

Jack

We did go to Papeete!  One of the criticisms I get is that my reviews are too long.  I normally try to keep them at 12 typewritten pages, but on this 32 day cruise I actually had 15 pages so I had to edit it. As it was, even after editing I had 13 pages....so Papeete would up on the cutting room floor.😅.

That is not to denigrate Papeete  - it is a great place to visit.  I just ran out of Space.

Jack

There are some of us who have been reading your reviews for years and NOTHING would be too long!!!

I just thought nothing funny happened in Papeete but with your outlook I'm not sure that would have been possible.

Anyone else vote for seeing the "cutting room floor"?

• Like 2

Jack

Please don't cut your reviews too short--I love every word.  So much humor and great information.

I agree!  Your reviews can never be too long!  Pick up those discarded pages off the floor and share them!  Even though we were on this cruise, I love perspectives from fellow passengers!

On 5/16/2024 at 4:50 AM, chamima said:

Princess warns you that regular toilet paper will clog their system and cause problems for everyone in nearby cabins.

Which, of course, is a flat-out lie. Any toilet paper will work just fine.