LIVE from Jewel May 15, 2024 - 27 nights

@twangster Can you give me your opinion.  I have heard the comment that people were disappointed when they cruised Iceland after cruising Norway.  I cruised Norway on the July 18th Jewel cruise which I loved and am now contemplating an Iceland cruise.  You seemed to enjoy both.  Can you give me your thoughts.  I would like to think they are each special in their way, but thought I would ask.  Thank you Patti

12 minutes ago, Cherful59 said:

@twangster Can you give me your opinion.  I have heard the comment that people were disappointed when they cruised Iceland after cruising Norway.  I cruised Norway on the July 18th Jewel cruise which I loved and am now contemplating an Iceland cruise.  You seemed to enjoy both.  Can you give me your thoughts.  I would like to think they are each special in their way, but thought I would ask.  Thank you Patti

We did B2B Arctic Circle then Iceland & Ireland in 2022. We do feel that after doing Norway immediately before Iceland, Iceland sort of looses a tiny bit of that "Wow!" factor. We feel that had we done Iceland first, and then Norway, it would have been "Wow!", then "WOW!" For us, Norway was absolutely stunning. Others may prefer Iceland. As you say, they are both special in their own right, but it's hard not to compare them when done as a B2B. Given some time between the 2, I think you'll be fine.

We are in Haugesund Norway right now on Serenade.  I am still not getting that "Wow" factor as of yet.  Though we are working our way north, with three more stops along the coast of Norway coming up.   Perhaps it gets more dramatic as we head that way?  This is our first time to Norway for us.  

I guess I expected it to be more like Alaska inland waterway.  

Then again, nothing so far (for me anyway) compares to Antarctica and the fjords of South America.  

20240118_162439.jpg

14 hours ago, Cherful59 said:

Norway has wonderful fjords and coastal areas.

Iceland on my itinerary did not have fjords like Norway.  It's a different experience in a good way.  Iceland has many inland areas to explore.  Waterfalls, glaciers, volcanic formations.  

I will return to both in due time, flying in next time.  I'd love to explore more of Norway by train for example.  I would like to visit Iceland in some other time other than summer in hopes of seeing Northern Lights and driving around more of the country.  

i don't understand how Iceland would disappoint unless someone had the wrong expectations.  That's more of a failure to research a destination.  It would be like saying there's no point going to Alaska once you've visited Norway.  I would strongly disagree with that statement.  I have plans to explore Alaska by train as well flying in without a cruise attached to the trip, outside of the summer peak.  Norway won't ever replace Alaska or vice versa.  Both are worthy destinations as is Iceland.  All require some research and planning to understand each destination.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We did B2B Arctic Circle then Iceland & Ireland in 2022. We do feel that after doing Norway immediately before Iceland, Iceland sort of looses a tiny bit of that "Wow!" factor. We feel that had we done Iceland first, and then Norway, it would have been "Wow!", then "WOW!" For us, Norway was absolutely stunning. Others may prefer Iceland. As you say, they are both special in their own right, but it's hard not to compare them when done as a B2B. Given some time between the 2, I think you'll be fine.

Thank you for your response.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Norway has wonderful fjords and coastal areas.

Iceland on my itinerary did not have fjords like Norway.  It's a different experience in a good way.  Iceland has many inland areas to explore.  Waterfalls, glaciers, volcanic formations.  

I will return to both in due time, flying in next time.  I'd love to explore more of Norway by train for example.  I would like to visit Iceland in some other time other than summer in hopes of seeing Northern Lights and driving around more of the country.  

i don't understand how Iceland would disappoint unless someone had the wrong expectations.  That's more of a failure to research a destination.  It would be like saying there's no point going to Alaska once you've visited Norway.  I would strongly disagree with that statement.  I have plans to explore Alaska by train as well flying in without a cruise attached to the trip, outside of the summer peak.  Norway won't ever replace Alaska or vice versa.  Both are worthy destinations as is Iceland.  All require some research and planning to understand each destination.

Hello and thank you for your response.  Researching is not a problem, my sister and I both do it and compare notes on what we find and might want to plan and do.  

Alaska and Norway, different but both wonderful and worth visiting more than once.  I spent a week in Alaska, 25-30 years ago in early July.  Went up to Denali & took a tour, went to a musk ox farm, Independence mine, Seward went out on the bay and wandered around, stopped in Homer and ate on the spit with stops along the way.  I also finally was able to cruise Alaska last year, both were great trips.  

My bil did a photo type tour up in Denali I think for a few days, several years back.  

I would think the train would be great trips in Alaska and Norway as well, getting to areas not seen otherwise.  

Thanks again!

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Probably more of the same.

Nope.  Happily we had a beautiful view sailing up and into Olden Norway.  Now THIS is more of what I imagined Norway to be like.  Beautiful!  🙂  

20240815_000103.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cherful59 said:

@island lady I am sorry you are disappointed.  We did the 13 night Arctic Circle and at so happy we did it.  

Not disappointed any longer. 🥰 Southern Norway more flat and very populated.  We are now into more of what I imagined Norway to be...happily.  Four hour sail way up into the fjord to dock up here in Olden.  Beautiful.  🙂  I expect everything north of us as we continue further north.  Love being able to sail up into these fjords!  Much more dramatic than the coastal parts.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, island lady said:

Not disappointed any longer. 🥰 Southern Norway more flat and very populated.  We are now into more of what I imagined Norway to be...happily.  Four hour sail way up into the fjord to dock up here in Olden.  Beautiful.  🙂  I expect everything north of us as we continue further north.  Love being able to sail up into these fjords!  Much more dramatic than the coastal parts.  

Sailing up the fjords was remarkable and beautiful.  So glad your not disappointed any longer.  Enjoy!

Edited by Cherful59
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

oops..wrong thread.  

This is what I mentioned earlier and why I canceled. With focus on the Fjords the Ultimate World Cruise itinerary was very poor, only Olden as a real Fjord stop.