Butlers

Csardas

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

This was in our cabin, suggesting things s/he might do.

IMG_0860.thumb.jpeg.1f0622eca547bfb422f6adc5d9339e1b.jpeg

Note the first entry on the list 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liao said:

Note the first entry on the list 

I like that feature too but the word is we may have to wait a bit for cases to be unpacked. 
However, the butler would known the suite better and put clothes in the right place, better than I would. DW will disagree but I vote to ask for the unpacking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Csardas said:

Me too. As per my original thoughts that the butler could hang up dresses and I’ll see to the rest.

and will the butler use the hanger you’d choose, to hang up your clothes? Will you put to one side your dresses to wait for the butler? 

On paper, it sounds very grand but in practice, far easier to do it yourself and in my case, there is no way I’d ask, or want anyone else to hang up my clothes.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NE John said:

I like that feature too but the word is we may have to wait a bit for cases to be unpacked. 
However, the butler would known the suite better and put clothes in the right place, better than I would. DW will disagree but I vote to ask for the unpacking. 

Do you have a Q1 or 2 with so many places in which to put the clothes? 😁

Sorry, but there aren’t that many places in which to hang stuff! I'm with your wife. DIY!🙂

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Do you have a Q1 or 2 with so many places in which to put the clothes? 😁

Sorry, but there aren’t that many places in which to hang stuff! I'm with your wife. DIY!🙂

I have a weird upgrade to at least Q6 but can be moved up to a higher grade. Highly doubtful of Q1 or 2.
Yes, the world would be a better place if we listened to our DW’s more often. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

I have a weird upgrade to at least Q6 but can be moved up to a higher grade. Highly doubtful of Q1 or 2.
Yes, the world would be a better place if we listened to our DW’s more often. 

Ah, a chap with a sense of reality!😀 DWs are known to be quietly right…

on most occasions!

Do hope you get upgraded to a 1 or 2 and will keep my fingers crossed for you. I think you're on QE which  doesn’t have the redesigned 1s but even so, both cabins are pretty special.🙂

Taking this for the other angle of packing. We, unfortunately, had to be medically disembarked from a cruise ship a few years ago (not Cunard) and the butler "helped" us pack, well actually it was more like throw the clothes in the case. We pack with clothes on hangers to make unpacking quicker and easier at both ends but as the butler was not aware of this he was taking everything off the hangers!

40 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Ah, a chap with a sense of reality!😀 DWs are known to be quietly right…

on most occasions!

Do hope you get upgraded to a 1 or 2 and will keep my fingers crossed for you. I think you're on QE which  doesn’t have the redesigned 1s but even so, both cabins are pretty special.🙂

Thanks you. Yes, QE in Alaska and an upgrade to 1 or 2 would be one heck of a 60th birthday present from Cunard!

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

If I emptied a bottle of gin a night, I think I’d lose consciousness !😲

Seriously though, like you, we have always had our bottles replaced, usually without asking but if not, a slight nudge to the butler will be all that’s needed.

Like I have said before our whisky was not replaced when consumed and very hard to give butler a nudge because we never saw him for the rest of the cruise until the final morning before disembarkation. Call me cynical but why did he suddenly appear on final morning I wonder why.

And as I have said, the butler has a pager so he/ she can be paged…nudged.

The Concierge is also available as a nudger and failing those two, the Front Desk.

I would have thought the first instance would do the trick and if I had to follow through eventually with the third option, the Hotel  Manager would also be involved.

There is no reason to accept poor service and it’s in our own remit to follow any such, up.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

The Concierge is also available as a nudger

We found the Grills Lounge Concierge to be most helpful in particular with replenishing bottles in our cabin. They simply filled out the slip and past it along to the butler on your behalf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Easy saying all these suggestions but when it is your first time in QG and rather green with practices it is a totally different matter.

I don’t doubt for one minute that unusually, your butler wasn’t up to par but instead of letting the issue fester as it must have done as you bring it up  on butler threads, ultimately it was down to you to make sure you got the service you were entitled to.

Along with all QGrill'ers, we were green newbies once but if we weren’t sure of anything, we asked, and still do, which is what I hope new QGrill'ers will do.

Ask, ask and ask again and that goes throughout ship. That is what all staff are there for. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/17/2024 at 2:31 AM, e&mcruise said:
  •  

"Tailored bedding arrangements through our bed concierge, available in Q1-Q4 suite"

Anyone know what this refers to?

Their website says

Bedroom area with Cunarder bed configurable to king-size or two single beds. Pillow concierge menu with a variety of pillows.  

I also read that generally beds are made up without a top sheet and use a duvet type sheet configuration.   On request you can also have a top sheet.

I would think this is available to all.  Maybe they just indicate you make your request to your butler and he relays it to the room attendant.    I would usually just ask the stateroom attendant for such modification.

19 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Why not leave a note? You, I mean, not the butler, whose intentions were clear enough.

Personally in such a situation I just pick up the phone and ask for more attentive service and by way replenish the bottle.   The squeaky wheel gets the grease. 

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I don’t doubt for one minute that unusually, your butler wasn’t up to par but instead of letting the issue fester as it must have done as you bring it up  on butler threads, ultimately it was down to you to make sure you got the service you were entitled to.

Along with all QGrill'ers, we were green newbies once but if we weren’t sure of anything, we asked, and still do, which is what I hope new QGrill'ers will do.

Ask, ask and ask again and that goes throughout ship. That is what all staff are there for. 

All comes down to the old saying of if you don't ask you don't get! In my experience on Cunard, its very few and far between that the answer is "no" regardless if its a butler or somewhere/one else on the ship.

13 minutes ago, MylesS said:

All comes down to the old saying of if you don't ask you don't get! In my experience on Cunard, its very few and far between that the answer is "no" regardless if its a butler or somewhere/one else on the ship.

The occasional 'no' does happen and usually accompanied with a reasonable explanation but if folk don’t ask about an issue which is quite easy to resolve, then they have little room to complain.

We have been in QG only three times: twice on crossings of the QM2 and once on the QE for 10 days.  On each of those trips the butler told us (even before our first G&T) that the bottles will be replaced and that it could be something different. We never came close to emptying the bottles, but it was nice to know we could have replacements without asking. 

It's a shame that some butlers don't do their jobs as well as others. We have been very lucky with those who have served us.

• Like 3