Ascent boarding delay 18 May Athens

Mystery solved - should have read the email….

On Ascent’s most recent sailing, a small percentage of guests reported experiencing gastrointestinal illness. Out of an abundance of caution, we will be activating our enhanced sanitizing protocols before you board, both within the terminal and onboard the ship, to prevent any illness from affecting your cruise.

Posted (edited)

Not unusual and S.O.P. in cases where noro or other similar issues affected enough of the passengers and / or crew to warrant it. Good preventative actions to assure the next cruise passengers of isolating the issue to the last cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

13 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not unusual and S.O.P. in cases where noro or other similar issues affected enough of the passengers and / or crew to warrant it. Good preventative actions to assure the next cruise passengers of isolating the issue to the last cruise.

Agree it makes sense - curious

as to how they manage crew who are infected? Isolation cabins? Presumably the same if someone is on a back to back cruise. 

3 minutes ago, Irish clare said:

I am on this cruise and am happy they are taking this step ….mind you there will be people complaining regardless 

100% agree.

By the way, I hope to be able to swing over to your lovely part of the world next year. My daughter is getting married in Iceland and my wife and I are hoping to make it over to Ireland.

15 minutes ago, Irish clare said:

I am on this cruise and am happy they are taking this step ….mind you there will be people complaining regardless 

Agree. And there are many worse places in the world than spending a few more hours in Piraeus. There are some nice spots there if one ventures away from the ferry port. 

50 minutes ago, Happydays2024 said:

Agree it makes sense - curious

as to how they manage crew who are infected? Isolation cabins? Presumably the same if someone is on a back to back cruise. 

Noro, which is rather common, normally only lasts a couple of days and I believe any affected crew would be isolated until their symptoms pass.  Typically it is brought on board by a passenger who contracted it prior to boarding, such as on an airplane, etc.  It can spread easily and in our experience you will see a definite step up with more frequent cleaning of surfaces, etc., on board when it occurs.

Can anyone confirm the ship boarding is really delayed? We received a mail from noreply@everbridge.net

Why would it not come from celebrity.com

We have seen nothing in the mobile app indicating a delay

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brucem26 said:

Can anyone confirm the ship boarding is really delayed? We received a mail from noreply@everbridge.net

That's the software they use to send out communication for sailings on - anything to do with boarding or the cruise will come through that software. 

Edited by Lena11033

7 hours ago, brucem26 said:

The app is unreliable and incomplete

On 5/16/2024 at 5:45 PM, horseymike said:

I wish celebrity would let the staff serve everyone in the OVC , it helps prevent norovirus spreading etc….

We were on the Ascent and it was disgusting watching people use their fingers to take food from the buffet. Coughing into the air.    Thereafter,  we had our lunches at different venues.  

• Like 2

Most of the people are very considerate, but there are always a few that are not.

The overall health and wellbeing of the passengers should be paramount in the food service venues onboard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brucem26 said:

Everbridge is an application that is capable of sending mass email/txt communications instantly. Likely due to the urgency of the message, this is the tool the cruise line uses.