Passport Validity

jeanlyon

Posted (edited)

I have a question.  My passport was issued 11 Jan 2016 and expires 11 October 2026 (has the extension)

This is the quote from P&O and other websites  "The passport must have at least three months left before the date of expiry when you disembark (regardless of whether or not the passport has an extension period)."

You can read that 2 ways.  It's OK for the extension, or it's notOK?   My cruise ends on 21st October 2025.  If I take off the extension, I am 5 days short.  If you can use the extension, then I'm OK.   As I am coming back into the UK, then I assume the extension to my expiry is valid?

Edited by jeanlyon

It all depends on which countries you are going to. If you are going to any of the Schengen countries then you need a new passport - if not then you don't.

1 minute ago, david63 said:

It all depends on which countries you are going to. If you are going to any of the Schengen countries then you need a new passport - if not then you don't.

Hi 'David.  My passport has to have been issued less than 10 years before the start of the cruise which it is.   My query is the disembark which says it needs 3 months before it expires.

If you are going into one of the Schengen countries then you need three months validity from the date you enter that country.

Personally with such a short time left on the passport I would renew it as you will have to renew it when you get back anyway.

Remember that the unexpected can happen - the ship may get diverted to another port, you may become ill and be hospitalised.

Just now, david63 said:

If you are going into one of the Schengen countries then you need three months validity from the date you enter that country.

Personally with such a short time left on the passport I would renew it as you will have to renew it when you get back anyway.

Remember that the unexpected can happen - the ship may get diverted to another port, you may become ill and be hospitalised.

Yep, you are absolutely right.  Hadn't thought of that bit.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Your passport is only valid since Brexit 10yrs from date of issue. Your cruise in October would not be covered so I would renew it ASAP.

That is not 100% true. It is only valid for 10 years from date of issue for Schengen countries - for all other countries, such as USA, it is valid until the date of expiry on the passport.

Due to many places not accepting the added months, and the need for the 3 months after return, the safest way is to view your passport as 9 years, 9 months from issue date. Sadly the added months are mostly irrelevant now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cloudyrain said:

Due to many places not accepting the added months, and the need for the 3 months after return, the safest way is to view your passport as 9 years, 9 months from issue date. Sadly the added months are mostly irrelevant now.

The EU and is associated countries are basically the only  place that doesn't recognise the  added months.

However given Jean will be entering EU with less than 3 months before  10 years is up, best get it renewed. I've read and so have many of you of officials misinterpreting rules, so better be safe than sorry 

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Your passport is only valid since Brexit 10yrs from date of issue. Your cruise in October would not be covered so I would renew it ASAP.

It's OK don't have to do it until I get back from april 2025 cruise, in time for the October 2025, but will definitely do it then.

5 hours ago, david63 said:

That is not 100% true. It is only valid for 10 years from date of issue for Schengen countries - for all other countries, such as USA, it is valid until the date of expiry on the passport.

Is it worth the risk of knowing which country you might as well just renew it.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

It's OK don't have to do it until I get back from april 2025 cruise, in time for the October 2025, but will definitely do it then.

One hell of a risk as you have to have 3 months left on passport on your return. Your return on 21st October is within 3 months of expiry date of passport on 11th January. With that in mind it is a big gamble that they might not let you embark your cruise because of less than 3 months on your return.

• Like 1

Jean. Grasp the nettle and renew your passports now. We have just done ours and the renewal speed was amazing. Hint: go to a shop where they will do the photos for you (note that this may not be a bog standard machine in a supermarket. We used Timpsons and it was brilliant. You get your photos immediately and they are fully acceptable by the passport office. Then do your application on line. Very simple even for us oldies. The PO already had our photos. DH got his new passport in 2 days. Mine took a few days longer. No complaints whatsoever. 
have a great cruise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

One hell of a risk as you have to have 3 months left on passport on your return. Your return on 21st October is within 3 months of expiry date of passport on 11th January. With that in mind it is a big gamble that they might not let you embark your cruise because of less than 3 months on your return.

I think you have you sums wrong. Jeans passport 10 years ends Jan 2026 and she is renewing in April 2025.

• Like 1

Get a new one you have plenty of time to get one. 

They are not expensive for what it gives you, peice of mind and what approx £10 per year. 🤷

Count ten years from your issue date and if its within 6 months of your cruise get a new passport its not worth the worry. 

• Like 1

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/soon-to-expire-passport

Your passport will be valid for your October cruise as you can count the extra months for the purposes of determining the date of expiry, but not for the date of issue: the two rules are independent. 

To enter the EU your passport has to be less than 10 years from date of issue, so with yours you could enter the EU until 10 Jan 2026. 

You must also have 3 months on your passport after your return date, and for this you can use the date of expiry even if it is determined by extra months. So there is absolutely no reason your passport wouldn’t be valid for travel to Europe in October 2025.

It is confusing though, and for the sake of peace of mind you might want to renew it anyway as it’ll be no good to you for European travel after January 2026. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think you have you sums wrong. Jeans passport 10 years ends Jan 2026 and she is renewing in April 2025.

She initially said in her original post she was enquiring if her current passport would be OK for October 25. Clearly it won't do for safety she is going to do it in April 25 so my original answer was correct. Might help read the whole thread.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, frozenflowers said:

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/soon-to-expire-passport

Your passport will be valid for your October cruise as you can count the extra months for the purposes of determining the date of expiry, but not for the date of issue: the two rules are independent. 

To enter the EU your passport has to be less than 10 years from date of issue, so with yours you could enter the EU until 10 Jan 2026. 

You must also have 3 months on your passport after your return date, and for this you can use the date of expiry even if it is determined by extra months. So there is absolutely no reason your passport wouldn’t be valid for travel to Europe in October 2025.

It is confusing though, and for the sake of peace of mind you might want to renew it anyway as it’ll be no good to you for European travel after January 2026. 

But she returns in October within 3 months of her passport expiry  in January 26 so would not be valid for October cruise.

Edited by majortom10

Posted (edited)

It's OK I will renew in April 2025, but I still don't get what they mean.  It says you need 3 months before expiry when returning to UK or leaving Schengen area.   So my passport would expire in October 2026 (that includes extension).  Arriving in the UK, the extension is valid surely.  It's badly worded.

Edited by jeanlyon

That’s what I am saying - her passport does not expire in January 2026 for the purposes of determining the 3 months. It expires then for the purposes of ENTRY to the EU. 

Basically when you want to enter the EU you need to pay attention to the issue date, and your passport must be less than 10 years old from that point. When you want to LEAVE the EU you need to have 3 months left, and for that you need to look at the expiry date. You can still count those extra added months for that purpose. 

It is an annoying and confusing problem and it will go away in a few years when the last of the added months passports finally expires as they are not issued with those any more.  

• Like 2

Just now, jeanlyon said:

It's OK I will renew in April 2025, but I still don't get what they mean.  It says you need 3 months before expiry when returning to UK or leaving Schengen area.   So my passport would expire in October 2026 (that includes extension).  It's badly worded.

The extension isn't applicable no more since Brexit your passport is only applicable for 10 yrs since issued which was January 2016 so effectively runs out in January 2026. The extension is no longer applicable.

• Like 1

Just now, majortom10 said:

The extension isn't applicable no more since Brexit your passport is only applicable for 10 yrs since issued which was January 2016 so effectively runs out in January 2026. The extension is no longer applicable.

Yes agree, no longer valid in Europe, but must be valid in the UK - as they issued it?