LIVE MSC Meraviglia May 19-26… and (hopefully) reopening of Ocean Cay

Notch8

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Notch8 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Good day fellow cruise critics!  As I write this, DW and I are aboard a train heading to Manhattan (NYC) to overnight before our departure on the MSC Meraviglia.

We are both veteran cruisers, although this will be her first time on MSC.  I took this exact same itinerary back in July 2023 with two of our adult children; I am curious to see what has changed (and I understand there have been several changes.)

I am sure most readers will want to know what changes / improvements have occurred at Ocean Cay.  No guarantees that we’ll make it, but rest assured that (ship wi-fi permitting) I plan to post my observations.

A few rumors of other changes on the cruise in general:

- Check in procedures… back in July, you received your room key at check in.  I understand that has changed?

- Muster drill… I’ve seen people post about a more flexible procedure than the one where everybody goes to their station at the same time?  Let’s hope it’s improved

- New dinner menus?  I already know about the $5 upcharge for a second entree.  We’ll see what else has changed.

- Brunch vs. separate breakfast and lunch?  I’m on the fence on whether this is better or not.

- Shows… on other lines, the “main” shows rarely change, but it appears that we may have different shows than when I went in July.

- Anything else…

I will do my best to keep up with this at least once daily.  We are very excited about this vacation!

ONE LAST THING… we are traveling in Fantastica class, in a balcony cabin.  Last time the room was serviced twice per day; hoping that hasn’t changed!

More to come!

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I know the Cruise Card process has changed on Seashore, Seascape and Magnifica. Now you just get your picture taken and passports/docs scanned in the port check in, then board the ship using the QR code on the app or your Embarkation Form. You are permitted/encouraged to go straight to your cabin to get your Cruise Card(s), which is on the door handle in a cardboard holder, and also allowed to drop off any baggage you may have, including using the safe. If you are in the earlier arrivals, they do ask you to not stay in the cabin as they are still cleaning. Cabins are accessible for full use at the usual times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tony s said:

Please send a beer list if possible? Safe journey!

I don’t drink but will see what I can do.

Jim

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I know the Cruise Card process has changed on Seashore, Seascape and Magnifica. Now you just get your picture taken and passports/docs scanned in the port check in, then board the ship using the QR code on the app or your Embarkation Form. You are permitted/encouraged to go straight to your cabin to get your Cruise Card(s), which is on the door handle in a cardboard holder, and also allowed to drop off any baggage you may have, including using the safe. If you are in the earlier arrivals, they do ask you to not stay in the cabin as they are still cleaning. Cabins are accessible for full use at the usual times.

Thank you!  Another poster mentioned that this was the process on the Meraviglia in ?January?  I’ll post what happens on this one.

Jim

6 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

@Notch8 If possible, I would love if you could post the daily program each day along with the menus 🙂.  Have a great cruise.

Sure thing!  Menus are easy because I can screenshot the app.  I’ll have to take photos of the daily programs, which I presume we still receive on paper.

Jim

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Notch8 said:

Sure thing!  Menus are easy because I can screenshot the app.  I’ll have to take photos of the daily programs, which I presume we still receive on paper.

Jim

Jim,

My last two cruises (Seashore and Magnifica), they were no longer giving out the paper Daily Programs in the cabins. Everything has migrated to the app.

4 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Jim,

My last two cruises (Seashore and Magnifica), they were no longer giving out the paper Daily Programs in the cabins. Everything has migrated to the app.

Hmm, okay!  Thanks for the heads-up.

Surprising to me, because when Carnival eliminated the paper “fun times” there was a lot of pushback.

Personally, I don’t need a paper copy and hate seeing my bin filled with waste at the end of each day.  So I’m good with the elimination.  I guess I’ll be making a lot of screenshots!

Jim

• Like 1

Through check in and waiting to board.  Much more organized than it was in July.

Keys are no longer handed out in the terminal.  We get them on board at the room.  The check in agent described how they will look.

Here’s the “Welcome Aboard” document.

Jim

IMG_7761.jpeg

IMG_7760.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Notch8 said:

Keys are no longer handed out in the terminal.  We get them on board at the room.  The check in agent described how they will look.

Are we allowed to dropoff carry-on luggage into room?

1 hour ago, Yorkvillain said:

Thanks for doing this Jim. How was it arriving at the terminal and what time did you arrive? Was there a long line of cars? 

There were a lot of vehicles, but some were people departing from the previous cruise.  We took the ferry from Manhattan so I can’t comment on parking situation.

Jim

• Like 1

I commented earlier that the terminal was much more organized than it was in July.  When you arrive, they give you a boarding number; you are then seated based on your number.  So you don’t have a bunch of people getting up from everywhere.  Once our group was called, we were aboard in 5 minutes.

I think MSC is taking some of the criticisms of the line seriously.  Judging from our experience so far, I feel it’s improved since July.

Jim

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, tony s said:

We are taking the ferry in August. How was ride and walk to TC tent and the cost?  Thanks 

Ferry was $4.

I presume you mean YC (not TC)?  The walk from the ferry to bag drop wasn’t long.  The YC tent was right next to the bag drop.

What happens to YC passengers after that I don’t know.  They don’t let people like me into YC.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

They’ve been loading the dinner menus for the week.  I’m loading them under a separate thread so others can go right to them without having to sift through this review.

Jim

Edited by Notch8
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Notch8 said:

Ferry was $4.

I presume you mean YC (not TC)?  The walk from the ferry to bag drop wasn’t long.  The YC tent was right next to the bag drop.

What happens to YC passengers after that I don’t know.  They don’t let people like me into YC.

Jim

Thanks it’s cheaper than NCL out of NY plus I get to pass my apartment. I live in SI and take ferry daily. While everyone is looking at Statute we will Bryon lounge toasting the island with a double Manhattan 

• Like 1

Day two has begun.

We had a very enjoyable day on the ship.  Other than explore, we had a light lunch in the buffet, (wasn’t real impressed with the variety.  And last time I was on there were cream puffs; they didn’t have any yesterday.  However, the ice cream was as good as I remembered it!) enjoyed a great dinner in the Panorama dining room, and saw the show (Wonderville House of Magic.). The show featured four different magicians who each did a couple of tricks.  The tricks were mostly familiar ones; no Penn and Teller here.  But the show was entertaining.  Bring earplugs; the shows are loud.

Couple of observations:

- Same old safety drill.  Maybe a bit more flexible though; watch the video, call the number, and go to muster station.  But they said when you were done calling the number you could just go.  Eventually they called decks anyway…. I guess for those expecting such.

- Brunch is a real thing now.  No separate breakfast and lunch except for the day in Nassau.  Other port days have breakfast only; sea days have brunch.  Brunch hours are 8:00 - 1:30.  I think I’m going to like this better.

- Library is gone.  They put slot machines there, as @JamieLogical noted in another thread.  It used to be a calm classy place.  Now it adds noise and looks wrong.  But MSC is in the business of making money, so I guess they’ll do what they must.

- Still two services of the room every day.

Today we will enjoy Hola Tacos.  Tonight’s show is Journey.  I saw this one in July and enjoyed it.

NOTE:  I’ve posted the dinner menus and am uploading the daily planners on other threads.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Jim

• Like 3