Mendenhall Glacier a must? FreestyleNovice's Alaska plans!

FreestyleNovice

Planning an Alaska trip.. :classic_cool:

Cruise:

Vancouver,

Inside passage,

Ketchikan; Wildlife viewing, Potlatch Totem Park, Herring Cove, South Tongass Waterfall tour

Sitka; 4X4 ATV Tour/ATV Wildlife Tour

Juneau, ?

Icy Strait Point, Exclusive Wildlife and Bear Search

Hubbard Glacier; (cruising, not getting off the ship)

Seward, Alaska

2 days land based:

Kenai Fjords NP 7½hr boat tour (..Visit two active tidewater glaciers, best cruise for glacier viewing)

Kenai Fjords NP 1hr scenic flight + glacier landing

Alaska Railroad to Anchorage

Some sidenotes:

Like everybody we hope to see all kinds of wildlife, we've set the focus for port time on land based excursions as we hope to see plenty whales/marine life in the Kenai fjords boat tour after our cruise.

We've decided to stay on board the ship at Hubbard Glacier, expecting a better experience at Kenai Fjords?

We're too early for the salmon run.

The big question for the experts:

Would you plan a visit to Mendenhall Glacier with our itinerary as a must see? Juneau is our longest port of call, we had it optional in our plans with a DIY/taxi/bus but the thread about the Mendenhall Glacier recommendation from Juneau visitor's bureau made us doubt if we should pre book something?

Any other suggestions? All feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Posted (edited)

What time of year? May recommend changes based on time of year. 

In Juneau do whale watch. All whale watching is different and Juneau will be spectacular. If you want to visit glacier do it via helo. Not cheap, weather cancels sometimes but you will never forget the trip. 

IMG_1517.JPG

Edited by SightCRR
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

June is too early for salmon (like you said) which makes it to early for bears at the streams. In ISP I would think about switching to whale watch to see whales and the possibly of bears on the beaches. Photo below from whale watch several years ago June 27/2014.  fyi my favorite Juneau/ISP webcam. TheSnowCloud Juneau area Webcams.  I forgot to answer your question Skip Mendenhall by bus.  

IMG_2403 - Copy.JPG

Edited by SightCRR
  • Like 2

Hubbard is a great experience (we also did not get off the ship) and very different in my view than the one you get by walking to Mendenhall in Juneau. Sounds like your fjords trip will get you close to glaciers as well. It is a walk at Mendenhall...part of the fun and you see some things up close but it is a walk. Not sure it is a must-do given your itinerary but if you do go, pre-booking would be good given the limited #s they can allow over the course of the season. 

• Thanks 1

I did a combination whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier hike.  Well worth it.  We saw LOTS of whales and the rain stopped after getting under way and we had a nice hike to the glacier.  It was a must do for me as it is shrinking rapidly and they estimate within 10 years you won't be able to see it any longer.  We hiked to the other side of the bay and saw it and the waterfall.  No bears.  We did not go to the Vistor's Center on this hike.  This was a ship excursion not private booked.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d151e0d7d240f1cab4020f7d2ffef81.jpeg

Mom's tail and calf following behind

image.thumb.jpeg.cdcaa0a49e6921b26850bfbcd498d702.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our cruise yesterday, We did the combo whale watch and Mendehall Glacier tour. To be honest the whale watching in Icy Straight was better partially because they have Orca's and Humpbacks and we saw plenty of both plus Bears on the beach, sea lions, eagles, otters. We only saw a couple of Humpbacks in Juneau but I think we just had a bad luck day there. For me we saw other Glaciers (Hubbard & Glacier Bay) that where more impresive than Mendenhall Glacier but, when you add in Nugget Falls it really made it worth going to see if you have time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stevepcb64 said:

We just got back from our cruise yesterday, We did the combo whale watch and Mendehall Glacier tour. To be honest the whale watching in Icy Straight was better partially because they have Orca's and Humpbacks and we saw plenty of both plus Bears on the beach, sea lions, eagles, otters. We only saw a couple of Humpbacks in Juneau but I think we just had a bad luck day there. For me we saw other Glaciers (Hubbard & Glacier Bay) that where more impresive than Mendenhall Glacier but, when you add in Nugget Falls it really made it worth going to see if you have time.

Juneau in the past had both orcas and humpbacks. Though last year, I have to agree ISP was better for whale watching than Juneau the days I went. I have seen bears, sea lions, eagles and otters in Juneau as well.

Edited by Coral

41 minutes ago, Coral said:

I do not think Mendenhall is a must. I think it is a let down actually. 

I agree, if you are going to see another Glacier on your trip then I don't think Mendenhall is a must.

• Like 1

I agree also, Mendenhall is an okay walk to see it but would look a whale watching or some way else to spend your time. If you are looking for a low key cheaper day, then it is an option combined with wandering town.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say Mendenhall is a must but in Juneau, it certainly is one of the more popular highlights.  I'd say, if you can get to it, do it.  

• Like 1