Online Price

Saw a price on a cruise I have currently booked cheaper on RCCL website.  Called travel agent and he said price on my room was not any cheaper.  I sent him a screenshot but he said he didn't see that price.  He did 3 way call with myself and RCCL.  Rep stated price my TA was quoting the correct price.  Why is the price online for my room cheaper but no one can see it!  It's not after final payment.

17 minutes ago, SeaMee said:

Saw a price on a cruise I have currently booked cheaper on RCCL website.  Called travel agent and he said price on my room was not any cheaper.  I sent him a screenshot but he said he didn't see that price.  He did 3 way call with myself and RCCL.  Rep stated price my TA was quoting the correct price.  Why is the price online for my room cheaper but no one can see it!  It's not after final payment.

So book it online and transfer to the agent

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SeaMee said:

Maybe the price you see online doesn't include the taxes but your TA's does? Or is it a refundable vs non-refundable deposit situation maybe?

• Like 2

It's also possible the cabin category is different. 

Look at a deck plan and make sure you're comparing apples to apples.  Just because a room sleeps the same number of passengers and has the same view doesn't mean it's the same category.  

I can't book a new reservation online because I would have to lose deposit on cruise I already have booked. 

Screen shot shows total price that includes taxes and fees.

5 minutes ago, SeaMee said:

See, no one has an explanation.  Anyone I can write too?

What if you put that cabin on option and then email the confirmation document to your agent as proof?

1 minute ago, Spudd said:

What if you put that cabin on option and then email the confirmation document to your agent as proof?

I'll try this.

26 minutes ago, SeaMee said:

See, no one has an explanation.

It could be a pricing mistake on the customer facing web site - the TA and RCI agents use a different system.

Right. They are running a sale now where you get $100 off on a cruise for 5 nights or less and $200 off for longer cruises. These discounts apply to new bookings only, not existing ones. That could be the difference.

I saw several listings today for cruises at insanely low prices ($300 for a 7-day cruise on brilliance in an ocean view balcony for example), but as soon as you click on it, it showed a price of $1500/per person or something like that. This was the case on several cruises. I figured it was a glitch that happened after they did their website update last night and was definitely probably a pricing mistake on the listing. Maybe you were seeing something like that. 

8 hours ago, SeaMee said:

A perfect example of why I never use a TA. 

• Like 1

I checked a cruise i am keeping an eye on yest. With all the different promotions it usually hovers around £760 pp. yesterday on the first screen it was £1800 pp. When you selected it and went further into booking to the we select/you select rooms it dropped back to the £760 price point. No room was showing anywhere the £1800 price. 

So i am guessing their web site is still having issues. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Doesn't Royal occasionally do sales "for new bookings only"?  

I don't see anything that denotes new bookings only.  I went further into and chose my room and was trying to buy it at the new cheaper price.  A notice came up on top of page saying pricing had changed.  And sure enough it was the price my TA had quoted...so must have been a glitch or a bait and switch going on yesterday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

But they even did a call with Royal and couldn't get the price.  So why is this a "perfect example" of a TA failure? 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Why?  Royal Caribbean confirmed the price online was not correct. It was most likely displaying without the port fees and taxes. We've cruised almost 20 years, have always used a TA. They have been worth their weight in gold when things go sideways or we have to make changes. Plus we have enjoyed the gifts and added perks they throw in when they can.

Edited by CruisingWalter
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But they even did a call with Royal and couldn't get the price.  So why is this a "perfect example" of a TA failure? 

RCI’s prices are constantly changing. The small delay needed to contact a TA could be enough time for the price to change, like apparently happened in this situation. 

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

RCI’s prices are constantly changing. The small delay needed to contact a TA could be enough time for the price to change, like apparently happened in this situation. 

Well I'm glad it works for you this way. Most times it works the other way around with the TA adjusting the price on the fly. Takes about 30 seconds for a TA to adjust a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity room rate, no need to call Royal and wait on hold.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

um, but that's not what happened in this situation.  It's also possible a TA could tackle a price change quicker than one contacting RCI (by the time you wait on hold).  

• Like 2

While I was on the 3 way call with travel agent and RCCL rep, the online price lower than what I paid. They could not see the online price I was seeing. I Sent an email to RCCL yesterday.  Today I received a reply that for a lower price I should contact my travel agent.  I sent a reply email that they were missing the point and sent them the screenshot with lower price.  Will see what happens next.

On 5/20/2024 at 2:04 PM, SeaMee said:

While I was on the 3 way call with travel agent and RCCL rep, the online price lower than what I paid. They could not see the online price I was seeing. I Sent an email to RCCL yesterday.  Today I received a reply that for a lower price I should contact my travel agent.  I sent a reply email that they were missing the point and sent them the screenshot with lower price.  Will see what happens next.

How much lower was the price? What would your savings have been if they made the adjustment?

$125 

I would call it a bait and switch.  The price shown was not the price you would get.  I put thru a new booking on the website and a notice came that the price went up But when I looked online again an hour later the same low price was being advertised.