Am I missing something?

It's been over a year since my last cruise so I went to look at booking a 3 nt leaving out of Port canaveral within the next few weeks, just to get a quick getaway but it seems most of the short cruises now leave out of Miami and I really didn't want to go to miami....the only ship was allure and the prices were too expensive. I remember I used to book 3 nts on the older ships out of Port canaveral for like 299$ not even a yr ago..... did I miss something about port canaveral? Are they eliminating the older ships/ shorter cruises from port canaveral? 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tntt said:

Are they eliminating the older ships/ shorter cruises from port canaveral? 

They still have short cruises but they are using newer and newer ships for them. In July, Utopia is being launched and doing short cruises as the newest ship in the fleet. Prices are higher and you need to book farther out.

If you want an old ship, try Tampa (but the cruise will likely be longer than 3N).

Posted (edited)

Allure currently departs for 3 and 4 night Bahamas out of PCN, and in July Utopia will depart from there and Allure will move to MIA to continue the same itineraries from there.

The other ship with similar itineraries is Freedom, but that too is out of MIA.  Her prices are not significantly less either.  Grandeur is out of Tampa, but with 5-night itineraries.  However, her pricing is significantly lower than the shorter 3 & 4 night options mentioned.

Cruise bookings are very strong now and cruise pricing will reflect that.  It is just the way of the industry right now.  Especially with the larger classes and newer ships, which is the direction RCCL is headed now for their 3 & 4 night itineraries.  And they all will include CocoCay as a port of call.

Unfortunately I think as a result the days of inexpensive short getaways on older RCCL ships are behind us.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I had posted a link that led you to a list of shorties from PC, but looks like they deleted it on me, But like other said, there are quite a few there....the prices just went up quite a bit.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, flamingos said:

That's an understatement.  I know they have their bottom line reasons, but wow.  

They are also going to be primarily featuring newer Oasis class ships with all they offer for the short 3 & 4 night Bahamas cruises out of PCN.  Along with the strong market, newer + bigger = higher fares.

And I'm pretty sure some of their bottom line reasons still have to do with recovering the billions lost during the covid shutdown.  While the market allows and we will pay it, they will get it.

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

They are also going to be primarily featuring newer Oasis class ships with all they offer for the short 3 & 4 night Bahamas cruises out of PCN.  Along with the strong market, newer + bigger = higher fares.

Yeah, I suppose more people want that than those of us who loved 3-days on Majesty or Mariner.  It was fun while it lasted.  Then again, I remember CocoCay when all it had was the one BBQ buffet, a bathroom, and the shack for snorkel rentals.  😅

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Yeah, I suppose more people want that than those of us who loved 3-days on Majesty or Mariner.  It was fun while it lasted.  Then again, I remember CocoCay when all it had was the one BBQ buffet, a bathroom, and the shack for snorkel rentals.  😅

I hear you - our first visit to CocoCay was in 1992.  And I well remember the snorkel shack! (Wasn't too much else there then). Much more like a deserted island than today's waterpark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I hear you - our first visit to CocoCay was in 1992.  And I well remember the snorkel shack!  (Wasn't too much else there then). Much more like a deserted island than today's waterpark.

1993 - delayed because of Andrew.  We walked down a service road to the far side of the island and sat on a deserted beach for 2 hours until we got hungry and walked back.  Lovely.

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

1993 - delayed because of Andrew.  We walked down a service road to the far side of the island and sat on a deserted beach for 2 hours until we got hungry and walked back.  Lovely.

We went the week just after Andrew.  They were using the POM pier as a staging area for the relief supply helicopters.  Very mixed emotions - excited and happy for our first cruise watching from the ship as the helicopters were taking off to help those who lost everything.

And you must have followed our footprints to the deserted beach.....

• Like 1