Is it normal for the cost of excursions to go up the closer you get to the final payment or sail date?

We're booked for the Australia/NewZealand cruise tour Nov 10-16,2024.  I've booked and paid for three of our excursions since it looked like they were getting full.  I just checked the other three that we're interested in and the cost has increased $40 to $50 pp from when I originally planned our budget.  I looked back at the ones we've already paid for and the price for them has gone up also.  I'm a bit of a spreadsheet nerd so I was keeping track of what we expected to spend.  Is this something that usually happens?  Should I go ahead and pay for the ones we want to prevent a future increase?

We have a cruise booked in August, and one excursion for which was paid $189pp is now waitlisted for $350pp.

So, yes....book 'em now when the going is good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I booked the final 3 excursions.  Fortunately since the excursions are quoted in Australian $$ the increase isn't quite as large as it would have been in USD.  Now we just have to wait till November to head to Australia.

I'd say yes it's now normal for prices to increase the closer you get to sailing.  This banner has been on the Princess website for a few months now that says 'Prices increase once onboard'.  We leave in 3 days for our Alaska cruisetour and all of our excursions have gone way up in price since we booked months ago.  One we booked at $275 is now wait-listed for $400.  I'd say if there's something you know you want to do, book it -- the prices will likely only increase.  

Screenshot 2024-05-20 4.22.46 PM.png

we noticed this on many excursions also. unless it's a special private tour, driver, helicopter, etc., you can usually canx 48 hrs out if you change your mind. 

3 hours ago, PR-Texas said:

Wish I had known this a couple of weeks ago.  Could have saved us some cash.

Keep checking after booking. Recently I've seen several at 20% off about 3 months before the cruise

• Like 1

I always book my excursions early, usually as soon as they appear on excursion tab. 
I have found on my two cruises coming up in July and August when checking the price of the 20% off excursion sale that I have saved over $1000. That is the price I paid early vs the “sale” price.

50 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Keep checking after booking. Recently I've seen several at 20% off about 3 months before the cruise

Our Alaska excursions were recently promoted as '20% off' as well.  However, the '20% off' prices were still higher than we paid originally several months ago.  It appeared they raised prices and then had the 'sale'.  There were a few threads about it on the Alaska board -- others noted the prices were raised and then placed on 'sale'.  

• Like 1