Emergency Assistance

babs135

Just paid for our upcoming cruise on the Queen Anne (yay) and notice that on the revised booking form it states that we have (on embarkation, not clear if also for disembarking) 121 Emergency Assistance.  We both use walking sticks but can manage on our own. We filled in the new required form stating that we didn't need help.  I'm not sure what this Assistance means.  We are also travelling with our adult daughter who did not need to fill in the form. I'm assuming that she will still be able to accompany us  - she's in the same cabin and has gold status: We are platinum.

Thanks.

Point for all mobility challenged passengers, whether on one stick or wheelchair bound.

In an emergency, could you walk down numerous flights of stairs on your own and without impeding fellow guests.

There are a good number of walking sticked  fellow passengers onboard and walking behind them reminds me of following a car towing a caravan on a narrow windy road…impossible to pass at times.🙂

Now this is absolutely nothing against fellow mobility challenged passengers, for heavens sake, we’re  with them, but I would not want to be impeded by anyone who thought they didn’t need help in an emergency.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

In an emergency, could you walk down numerous flights of stairs on your own and without impeding fellow guests.

There are many "able bodied" passengers that cannot do that.

I remember once seeing a passenger use the lift to go down one deck, not a problem in itself other than he was going on a walking excursion from the ship!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with the one to one assistance is mainly for the "inbetweeners", ie those who occasionally need an aid such as a wheelchair ashore or a stick to help them rise.  Having discussed this subject to death on the P&O board I have come to the conclusion that it is best to mark all bookings for one to one assistance in an emergency if you use a stick even occasionally as in my husband's case.

Interestingly I have four bookings, two Cunard, two P&O where my husband is travelling.  One for each company was marked ond to one, the other wasn't.  After reading of all the problems others are having I have resubmitted forms to state ond to one for the other two cruises.  I consider it a total waste of a ship staff member as the chances are high the walking stick won't come out of the case but I certainly do not want to be refused boarding. My husband has fibromyalgia and does not under normal circumstances need the stick.  He is very fit, plays 6 a side soccer, walking rugby, swims a mile 5 days a week and attends a class for people with his illness once a week.  I can assure Carnival Corporation he would manage far better than I on stairs but they won't accept that.

Ironically in any real emergency I would rely on him but apparently we would be dealt with separately.  

I am somewhat intrigued to know how this one to one, two to one system would work in a real emergency. How will the crew helper(s) find the passenger who could be anywhere on the ship? OK there is the bit where you go back to your cabin - but how does someone in a wheelchair get back to their cabin (if that is even possible) when the lifts are out of action?

• Like 2

Such is the heightened awareness  of 'elf 'n safety and to be fair, the litigious aspects of today’s society, I appreciate the problems involved and cannot for one moment hold Cunard, for that’s our only experience at sea, as over zealous.

The best thing to do is fill out the form.

27 minutes ago, david63 said:

I remember once seeing a passenger use the lift to go down one deck, not a problem in itself other than he was going on a walking excursion from the ship!

Reminds me of those in the past, who ‘required' assistance on and off the ship but who recovered mobility enough to dance the night away once onboard.

Obviously, research scientists were missing a trick in not recognising the recuperative strengths of being at sea.🙂

59 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Such is the heightened awareness  of 'elf 'n safety and to be fair, the litigious aspects of today’s society, I appreciate the problems involved and cannot for one moment hold Cunard, for that’s our only experience at sea, as over zealous.

The best thing to do is fill out the form.

The "insider" on the P&O forum said some months ago things had to be tightened following the Britannia line breaking incident when it was realised a large number would be in difficulty if they needed to go swiftly to their muster station.  As to whether this is the full reason or even correct I have no idea but the timing does tally.  Also trade press carried stories last year that Carnival Cruises had been ordered by authorities to clamp down on "unofficial" wheelchairs and mobility scooters as they'd been turning a blind eye. 

Reading all this a combination of the two would seem to have led to the clampdown and new arrangements across all the Carnival mainstream lines.

• Like 1

So how does it work? Do we mention it as soon as we arrive at the terminal  or do we carry on as normal?  I should also point out that whilst DH has his stick with him, I usually fold mine up and pack it in the hand luggage as it's one less thing to cope with along with a handbag and briefly a large suitcase.  I can use the hand luggage for support if necessary! 

Maybe I need to keep it out?

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

So how does it work? Do we mention it as soon as we arrive at the terminal  or do we carry on as normal?  I should also point out that whilst DH has his stick with him, I usually fold mine up and pack it in the hand luggage as it's one less thing to cope with along with a handbag and briefly a large suitcase.  I can use the hand luggage for support if necessary! 

If your form has been completed and you are walk ons without assistance you can carry on as normal, at least that's what we do on P&O.  The assistance would be presumably only in an emergency which thankfully we've not tested to date.  

Our first cruise under the one to one assistance isn't until August so I'm afraid I haven't up to date information at present.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

I think that the situation at the moment is that you have to declare it on the assistance form otherwise, it has been suggested, that you may be denied boarding - and don't forget that hand luggage is scanned.

• Like 1

In an emergency, you would either go to the nearest stairwell and your assistance would meet you there, or be collected from your cabin.

If you’re not on the correct deck for your cabin, go to the nearest / appropriate stairwell and your assistance will be contacted by radio.

If on the deck for your muster station, go direct to the muster station.

Usually, assisted passengers are dealt with after the rush of the majority. Same with using life-rafts if necessary, assisted passengers go in last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

In an emergency, you would either go to the nearest stairwell and your assistance would meet you there, or be collected from your cabin.

If you’re not on the correct deck for your cabin, go to the nearest / appropriate stairwell and your assistance will be contacted by radio.

If on the deck for your muster station, go direct to the muster station.

Usually, assisted passengers are dealt with after the rush of the majority. Same with using life-rafts if necessary, assisted passengers go in last.

So what happens to the unassisted member of a couple, do they get sent to their muster station without their partner?  I'd be very unhappy to be told to leave my husband behind, particularly when the one to one assistance is definite overkill in his case.   

14 hours ago, david63 said:

Yes David63. That man took the lift down one deck. It is very hard to go down stairs when you get older and everything does not work as it used to. Some excursions are for those who might not be as spry as others. The excursion might have not had any steps and therefore he was able to participate.Don't take this to be a mean reply. Just that we do not know all of the circumstances sometimes.

For me it is harder to go down stairs than to go up. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Reminds me of those in the past, who ‘required' assistance on and off the ship but who recovered mobility enough to dance the night away once onboard.

Obviously, research scientists were missing a trick in not recognising the recuperative strengths of being at sea.🙂

I guess I had better not ask for assistance if I am going to be judged so harshly. I have nerve pinches from my spine. Sometimes I get up in the morning and can hardly make it to the bathroom without going very slowly and having excruciating pain in my legs. Some mornings I can hop out of bed and be fine. It can change during the day from pain to no pain. 

When I booked my next cruise, I was asked if I was bringing a walker or wheelchair on the cruise. I said NO. I was not asked about a cane or walking stick as the British call it. I was however thinking of looking into wheelchair assistance for the airport and for embarkation. I am not sure how I will be feeling at that time. Standing in line in one position for a long time is not good for my legs either. I do have patience though. 

If there are gentlemen hosts, I would love to have a few dances. I hope you will not judge me too harshly if I do have a few rounds on the floor. Know all the circumstances before you make judgement.

However, it is good that I read this post. I do believe that I should register so that I do not hinder other people from moving quickly in an emergency, especially on stairs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

That man took the lift down one deck. It is very hard to go down stairs when you get older and everything does not work as it used to. Some excursions are for those who might not be as spry as others. The excursion might have not had any steps and therefore he was able to participate.Don't take this to be a mean reply. Just that we do not know all of the circumstances sometimes.

In this instance that was not the case.

The excursion was a four hour walking the Lavadas in Madeira excursion which if you have ever done that walk is not on level terrain (I was also on the same excursion) and incidentally he had no problem getting up/down the steps into the coach.

4 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

I guess I had better not ask for assistance if I am going to be judged so harshly. I have nerve pinches from my spine. Sometimes I get up in the morning and can hardly make it to the bathroom without going very slowly and having excruciating pain in my legs. Some mornings I can hop out of bed and be fine. It can change during the day from pain to no pain. 

When I booked my next cruise, I was asked if I was bringing a walker or wheelchair on the cruise. I said NO. I was not asked about a cane or walking stick as the British call it. I was however thinking of looking into wheelchair assistance for the airport and for embarkation. I am not sure how I will be feeling at that time. Standing in line in one position for a long time is not good for my legs either. I do have patience though. 

If there are gentlemen hosts, I would love to have a few dances. I hope you will not judge me too harshly if I do have a few rounds on the floor. Know all the circumstances before you make judgement.

However, it is good that I read this post. I do believe that I should register so that I do not hinder other people from moving quickly in an emergency, especially on stairs. 

Yes it would be wise to register even if on a just in case basis.  I sympathise with you very much regarding the lack of understanding by some fellow travellers who judge others by what they think they have seen.

Hidden disabilities are a really difficult thing, particularly when it comes to lifts.  My husband has had difficulty with lift entry both onboard and ashore on a normal day to day basis as he suddenly becomes invisible and also gets challenged for occasional disabled lavatory use.  What those seeing through him do not understand as it's not visible is he has fibromyalga, ME, IBS and a myocardial bridge, all of which mean stairs could quite literally be a killer.  The problem is he's very active as encouraged by his doctors but the list of please do not's grows on every check up so in a close environment if you look at him not knowing him you wouldn't have a clue.

I do therefore know how upsetting the situation can be for those with hidden disabilities and can only say please do not allow those who are fortunate enough not to have one to make you feel uncomfortable.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2024 at 9:39 PM, david63 said:

I can walk reasonable distances without any issues,  but stairs are a different matter.  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 4:16 AM, oceansandseas said:

To imply you have been judged harshly by me is very unfair.

There was nothing in my post which would refer to your condition. A few turns around the dance floor is miles apart from dancing the night away, the phrase I used, and what we have encountered.

Add overhearing a conversation at least twice where one who required assistance was advising  and boasting to others how to skip both embarkation and debarkation queues by asking for assistance, and  dancing the night away has even more meaning and quite frankly, I am delighted with the new assistance protocols as the walking well will think twice about asking for assistance when it’s not needed especially as assistance is now timed with allotted time rather than any priority.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

To imply you have been judged harshly by me is very unfair.

There was nothing in my post which would refer to your condition. A few turns around the dance floor is miles apart from dancing the night away, the phrase I used, and what we have encountered.

Add overhearing a conversation at least twice where one who required assistance was advising  and boasting to others how to skip both embarkation and debarkation queues by asking for assistance, and  dancing the night away has even more meaning and quite frankly, I am delighted with the new assistance protocols as the walking well will think twice about asking for assistance when it’s not needed especially as assistance is now timed with allotted time rather than any priority.

I’m glad people who game the system and also gloat about are called out. Those with real disabilities and need assistance are ultimately the ones who get caught with the short straw. After four back surgeries myself, I may need that assistance one of these days. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NE John said:

I’m glad people who game the system and also gloat about are called out. Those with real disabilities and need assistance are ultimately the ones who get caught with the short straw. After four back surgeries myself, I may need that assistance one of these days. 

It’s those who claimed assistance to beat the system which is what my comment was aimed at and which was taken affront at.
I hope you won’t need assistance as that would mean your back was playing up, but it will be there if you need it.

I had a dodgy knee which is no longer dodgy. I still don’t go down stairs if I can help it but can climb up with no issue so understand those who need assistance for an unseen problem.

Interestingly, assistance will be very busy tomorrow as there are a lot, in comparison to our other cruises, of obvious seriously mobility compromised passengers, never mind the less obvious.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Without going into any detail, if you are mobility challenged and have requested disabled disembarkation, don’t make the assumption 2+2 equals 4.

Go and check you’re on the list, preferably a few days into the cruise.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 1:05 AM, Megabear2 said:

So what happens to the unassisted member of a couple, do they get sent to their muster station without their partner?  I'd be very unhappy to be told to leave my husband behind, particularly when the one to one assistance is definite overkill in his case.   

You remain as a pair. Big groups will be asked to split but not a couple/family.

• Thanks 1