Considering Regal Princess but ....

We do breakfast at the juice bar.  Doubles for each of us.  That is $22 per person.  Just used up our $15 for drinks.  Everything after that is gravy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 10:05 AM, room with a view said:

We are considering Regal princess but the only cabin available for our preferred sailing is D220 .

Would have preferred midships ...also the drinks package plus benefits is expensive for us moderate drinkers .

How are the gratuities paid for this category of cabin , and how much per person per day .....thanks

The advantage of D220 is that it is near the fwd elevators/stairs--and it is an easy 2 flights down to deck 7 (decks 5-7 have all the lower public areas)

If you plan to get internet, then Princess Plus VERY much pays for itself.

Gratuities: $16pp/day

Internet $25pp/day (THOUGH this could be shared, one device at a time, if you did not go PPlus)

That leaves $20pp/day for drinks: specialty coffees, sodas, bottled water as well as alcoholic drinks (and mocktails). Even moderate drinkers will get to $20/day easily--2 cocktails or glasses of wine & it's worth it.

PPlus also includes 2 free casual dining meals/cruise. 

Now on the Regal this only includes Alfredos, sushi & Vines (essentially just a charcuterie board there). But those are nice alternatives to have.

Also free room service.

A few other less valuable perks--2 free fitness classes, 2 free "Premium" desserts DAILY (the gelato was the only one worth it, imo. The crazy sundaes were insane!)

We traveled w/ family who are also moderate drinkers & we convinced them to get PPlus & they agreed it was worth it, even at a break even point.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

Have things changed since my last cruise?  Gelato is now included in the premium desserts along with those silly sundaes?  That would be an improvement.  Those things with the cake and ice cream and whatnot (including fake "melting ice cream" plastic on the sides of the dish) were just plain silly.  Even my grandchildren didn't like them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Have things changed since my last cruise?  Gelato is now included in the premium desserts along with those silly sundaes?  That would be an improvement.  Those things with the cake and ice cream and whatnot (including fake "melting ice cream" plastic on the sides of the dish) were just plain silly.  Even my grandchildren didn't like them.

Yep we were on the Regal last month & gelato was included.

1 hour ago, KKB said:

The advantage of D220 is that it is near the fwd elevators/stairs--and it is an easy 2 flights down to deck 7 (decks 5-7 have all the lower public areas)

If you plan to get internet, then Princess Plus VERY much pays for itself.

Gratuities: $16pp/day

Internet $25pp/day (THOUGH this could be shared, one device at a time, if you did not go PPlus)

That leaves $20pp/day for drinks: specialty coffees, sodas, bottled water as well as alcoholic drinks (and mocktails). Even moderate drinkers will get to $20/day easily--2 cocktails or glasses of wine & it's worth it.

PPlus also includes 2 free casual dining meals/cruise. 

Now on the Regal this only includes Alfredos, sushi & Vines (essentially just a charcuterie board there). But those are nice alternatives to have.

Also free room service.

A few other less valuable perks--2 free fitness classes, 2 free "Premium" desserts DAILY (the gelato was the only one worth it, imo. The crazy sundaes were insane!)

We traveled w/ family who are also moderate drinkers & we convinced them to get PPlus & they agreed it was worth it, even at a break even point.

The difference between Standard and Princess Plus is £600 per person ..not sure of the rate US dollar to £ but the cost would be £1200 for 12 days .

Having a long think about travel .

The cruise leaves Southampton we live in the North  UK (think Romans and Hadrian) It's a long drive ...bus takes about10 hours .

Can't book a train as the constant strikes over the last 2 years make rail travel risky .

We will probably look at a fly - cruise .

Thanks for all your input .

Happy sailing  

1 hour ago, room with a view said:

The difference between Standard and Princess Plus is £600 per person ..not sure of the rate US dollar to £ but the cost would be £1200 for 12 days .

And 75% of cruisers feel it's worth it since that's the percentage of cruisers that buy Plus or Premier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, room with a view said:

Is this a 10 day cruise? 

I know that PPlus is $60pp/day.

Is it 60 pounds pp/day for you?(which does make it a bit more...)

It is possible my numbers vary slightly with the conversion.

My advice:

Whatever the cost is pp/day, deduct gratuities (which you will pay anyway) & Internet (if you are getting it) & look at the difference. That should help.

Will you drink specialty coffees? Sodas? 

How many drinks/day?

Factor in those things & you will know if it is worth it to you.

Posted (edited)

We usually drive when we cruise from Florida, here in U.S.

It is more than can be done in one day, so we sometimes take even the third day.

We are big on being the first at the port, as we want to board early.  So NO driving on day of departure.

If you fly, I would still do this the day before, as we all know how travel, and especially air travel, can go.  

You can always keep looking to see if cabins open up, or if you want to put a deposit on a Mini-Suite before prices increase.  (if you are not cruising soon)   Most cruises seem to be going up and up...  as they book up close to final payment.

The Plus Package can really add up on a longer cruise.

As you mentioned before, and you are doing 12 days.

You really have to 'do the math'...  How much will Gratuities, WIFI, and the number of drinks and special coffees, casual dining. (we love Alfredo's) be likely to add up to.

If it is anywhere close -  the 'no worries, enjoy!' factor could make it well worth it!

You might NOT want to do the Plus package if you are a wine drinker.

The selection and quality of wine included in Plus seems to be lacking.

Happy Planning!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Regarding the Plus package, I am a non drinker, and it makes financial sense for me to get the package.  Tips $16 a day, internet $25 a day. That leaves $19 a day for specialty coffees, bottled water, the juice bar, fresh-squeezed orange juice at breakfast, and of course the two casual meals.  Totally makes sense for me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

Regarding the Plus package, I am a non drinker, and it makes financial sense for me to get the package.  Tips $16 a day, internet $25 a day. That leaves $19 a day for specialty coffees, bottled water, the juice bar, fresh-squeezed orange juice at breakfast, and of course the two casual meals.  Totally makes sense for me.

There are many teetotalers like yourself that thinks the Plus package still provides value, but others think you need to drink a lot to make it worthwhile 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Thanks everyone for all your advice we booked  D220 with the  Plus package ...though our confirmation invoice does not show the free casual dining meals (Alfredo/ Vines) ...as mentioned in one of the posts .

The app should show the portions of the package

On 5/24/2024 at 2:51 PM, Retired-N-Happy said:

There are many teetotalers like yourself that thinks the Plus package still provides value, but others think you need to drink a lot to make it worthwhile 

It depends. We are teetotalers, and also elite. So for me, the math is:

gratuities - $16

wifi - $12.50

soda drink plan - $17.25 (after gratuity)

Total - $45.75

For $40, I'd be all in. But $60 seems not to be worth it. We don't get much out of the other benefits I have not listed.

On 5/24/2024 at 5:51 PM, Retired-N-Happy said:

We had this in 2022 I have a few drinks in a day some days, husband doesn't drink except soda. I also only drink lattes on vacation so there are a few plus bottled water especially for excursions. Then the tips and wifi, I thought it was worth it and are doing it again this Oct. I like no separate charges everything is done for me.

50 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We had this in 2022 I have a few drinks in a day some days, husband doesn't drink except soda. I also only drink lattes on vacation so there are a few plus bottled water especially for excursions. Then the tips and wifi, I thought it was worth it and are doing it again this Oct. I like no separate charges everything is done for me.

Since you have a few drinks and you like your lattes and bottled water, it works for "borderline" teetotalers like you and your husband.  

It obviously doesn't work for the previous poster and her DH since they were 14.25 short of 60 and they don't use medallion delivery, don't eat at casual locations, and don't drink bottled water or espresso based drinks.

It's nice when those on the fence take the time to break it all down and make an educated decision instead of some that think you have to drink like a fish in order to make the Plus package have value.

• Like 1

The 8 of us did the Regal for the first time earlier this year, and we really liked for the most part, the ship, etc. We did purchase the Premier Package which is NO cheap, but as my son said, he was sick and tired of being nickled and dimed every time he turned around, so this way (especially the photo package) things turned out pretty good. As for the drinking, that is not me, but this package made up for everything else (I could have done more, but I chose not too with this same package) that I had.