Wifi dilemma and questions

Hi all! A friend and I are booked on the Zuiderdam 35-day Viking Explorer trip leaving 7/20, yay! First cruise for both of us. Friend is on sabbatical and wants to disconnect but I'll have to use wifi on most days for work. It's looking that since we're in the same room she would have to pay for wifi anytime I did, so, for instance, if I book a day for $34.99 she would have to too. Obviously I can't ask her to do this, so I would have to pay $70 per day for internet, which would be incredibly difficult. It looks like there's no longer an internet station on board for short periods of use? Is there a way for HAL to allow me paid wifi access in a limited space (and not in the cabin) so it's clear it's only I using it? Friend could hand in her phone during those times. Any suggestions most welcome!

I’ve never heard of a requirement for all people in the same cabin to buy WiFi. Yes, for a beverage package, but not WiFi.

There are multiple levels of WiFi. The price varies depending on the number of days and level of service.

IMG_2873.jpeg

• Like 2

As you can see from the table, it's limited to one device (at a time) unless you pay for more devices. They won't care how many people are in a stateroom, because the system automatically limits it to the number of devices that you paid for. It is OK to switch devices -- I used both a tablet and a phone during my last HAL cruise -- you simply disconnect one when connecting another.

I had to participate in Zoom meetings and upgraded from HIA to the streaming plan to be sure of having sufficient bandwidth.

• Like 2

My husband was able to Zoom a meeting with no problem under the premium level. I can watch YouTube on the premium level. Mainly the stream level is for those that want Netflix etc. It’s more about sites being filtered out than bandwidth from what I understand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IsabellaBird said:

Any suggestions most welcome!

Have you got access to your HAL account yet?

You can purchase internet for one person and it is discounted if you purchase before sailing.

• Like 3

Day 14-Zeebrugge:

It was a little cooler today but sunny and comfortable for most of the day. 

We met up with two other couples from the roll call for a shared taxi into Bruges. Thanks to @dragonmasterfor arranging it. The company was AirPro Taxi. Our driver was prompt, professional and reliable. We were dropped off right at the market square. 

We first got coffee/beer a cafe right on the square. Then we took a canal tour. This was lovely and short walk from the square.

The city is so walkable and we felt safe the whole time. We walked around and enjoyed the architecture, bought chocolate and lace. The requisite waffle was incredibly delicious. We also got frites at the Halve Maan brewery. 

We had a little over an hour left before the return taxi. On a whim we decided to jump on the city tour bus. Some of the info was a repeat of the canal tour but some was new. If I had to pick one I’d do the canal tour. 

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

For clarification, an internet plan is not needed for any device to use the Navigator app to connect to the ship internal network to access ship activities. 

All passengers can share a single internet plan with the plan purchaser's account login credentials (username and password) to access the internet.

When someone attempts to connect to the paid internet with the plan owner's login credentials, the guest attempting to connect can choose to disconnect the person currently accessing the internet on that plan WITHOUT the current user's knowledge/permission.

Example:

If a parent, using the plan owner's login credentials, is Whatsapp calling their lawyer from the Spa, a son can decide to play an internet game, with same plan owner's login credentials, and choose to immediately disconnect the parent's Whatsapp call.

Edited by Crew News
  • Haha 1