QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

So all in all not very successful.

I recall you mentioning lack of a chair to sit on and this jogged my memory that when traveling with my mother in accessible balcony rooms on QE and QV there was no chair in those rooms either save a dressing table type chair just inside the door.  Ive never sailed QM2 inan accessible cabin but wonder whether this is fleet wide below the Grills?

Has anyone told you if the Princess/Queen's Grill suites have anything different to offer for those requiring bars, automations etc?

Regarding other ships you sailed on last year which i recall.being Aurora, Ventura, QM2 and  Iona (the latter of course fairly new) perhaps you could mention when taking the issue further what these considerably older vessels offered that made things easier.  It is natural to assume a newer ship will offer better facilities.  

Chatting to a guy yesterday he mentioned although Queen Anne is a new ship her design is now quite old with the first Pinnacle ship being delivered in 2016.  Obviously adapted, made bigger etc but basically an older design. Perhaps it might be interesting to ask on the HAL board if the passengers on the other Pinnacle ships have these problems or whether it's just bad planning and provision by Cunard.

Did you get an answer to your other question about the Liverpool celebration arrangements?  I have received my pack now and it seems to be that less standing than envisaged may be necessary than we thought.  (Letter below).

20240602_165715.jpg

20240602_165707.jpg

20240602_165700.jpg

Looking exciting. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

After the bitter disappointment of Thursday and Friday (referred to in my past post), I am pleased to say that we’ve had a very enjoyable weekend. 

Saturday in Greenock turned out to be a day with clear blue skies and 22 degrees. Having experienced issues getting off the ship in all the previous stops, we were delighted to be able to walk straight to the gangway without any queues - only to be stopped and told to wait whilst around 10 staff members and visitors embarking were given priority. All had to be checked in, photos taken etc. During this time a long queue built up again, but at least we were at the front. It did seem wrong to me to give priority to staff and visitors and make fare paying passengers wait, especially when it was such a slow process and so many people, but other than point this out to the security chap (who just ignored me) I didn’t need to say much else as the chap behind me was absolutely incensed and unleashed a tirade about how the organisation of disembarkation is going from bad to worse and the Captain needs to be told about it!

Greenock is obviously a gateway port for tours to Glasgow and the southern Highlands but as there are no accessible excursions on this cruise (much to the annoyance of another couple we have befriended) and the fact that we have fortunately visited all these places several times, we stuck to Greenock for the morning. As with everywhere else we have visited, the welcome from the locals was superb. We had a piper to welcome us and all the shoreside staff were welcoming and efficient. 

There wasn’t a huge amount to see in Greenock itself and it wasn’t the most wheelchair friendly place, but we still enjoyed our visit. There are some attractive buildings and a lovely waterfront with stunning views across the Clyde towards the lower Highlands. After lunch on the ship my wife had a rest and I took the train into Glasgow for a wander. The city was packed as it was a Saturday and glorious weather. The sail out along the Clyde (preceded by another pipe band) was beautiful. All in all a lovely day. 

IMG_2158.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

IMG_2155.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 11

After the disappointment of the last couple is days, I'm really glad you've had an enjoyable day in Greenock, may it continue for the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday has probably been our most enjoyable day so far. We had pre-booked tickets for Titanic Belfast at 11am and as the shuttle bus went to the city centre I assumed that we’d need a cab, but even that’s a struggle for my wife as most of them are minibus types (which she can’t pull herself up into) or cars (which have the opposite issue of being low down). Anyway, partly by doing some iPad research and also phoning Titanic Belfast this morning (who were very helpful) I decided on a plan B.

Just as in Orkney, we were able to get the regular shuttle as there was a drop down ramp and space for a wheelchair user on all the buses. This is so much easier than the wheelchair accessible mini buses, much as we appreciate the provision of those when no other option exists. 

Having alighted opposite the town hall, I pushed my wife down Royal Avenue, along the High Street, past the tilting Albert Clock, across the river via a pedestrian bridge and along the waterfront to Titanic Belfast. Some cobbled stretches aside, it was very easy with dropped kerbs everywhere. We really enjoyed our visit to Titanic Belfast. We probably slightly prefer the Titanic museum in Cherbourg, which includes artefacts from the ship and includes the beautiful art deco booking and luggage halls, whereas the Belfast version, aside from a deckchair (one of 6 remaining), was more about the construction and shipbuilding in Belfast. It was still well worth it though and included a 6 minute ride which even had a wheelchair accessible car. All the staff were brilliant. Welcoming and helpful, as were the shuttle bus organisers and drivers. 

Back on the ship we tried the deck grill and gelato bar for the first time for a late lunch. 10/10 for both. Just about to leave Belfast now but another enjoyable day. 

P.S. Walked on and off the ship with absolutely no issues today 👍

IMG_2160.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg

IMG_2163.jpeg

IMG_2165.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

There is, or was theatre signage, no issue about that

Some of the signs have mysteriously disappeared since the start of this cruise and others have been moved to the seat backs of the actual seats which, due to the inclination, cannot be read! It just isn’t at all obvious that they are meant to be for wheelchair companions only. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Sunday has probably been our most enjoyable day so far. We had pre-booked tickets for Titanic Belfast at 11am and as the shuttle bus went to the city centre I assumed that we’d need a cab, but even that’s a struggle for my wife as most of them are minibus types (which she can’t pull herself up into) or cars (which have the opposite issue of being low down). Anyway, partly by doing some iPad research and also phoning Titanic Belfast this morning (who were very helpful) I decided on a plan B.

Just as in Orkney, we were able to get the regular shuttle as there was a drop down ramp and space for a wheelchair user on all the buses. This is so much easier than the wheelchair accessible mini buses, much as we appreciate the provision of those when no other option exists. 

Having alighted opposite the town hall, I pushed my wife down Royal Avenue, along the High Street, past the tilting Albert Clock, across the river via a pedestrian bridge and along the waterfront to Titanic Belfast. Some cobbled stretches aside, it was very easy with dropped kerbs everywhere. We really enjoyed our visit to Titanic Belfast. We probably slightly prefer the Titanic museum in Cherbourg, which includes artefacts from the ship and includes the beautiful art deco booking and luggage halls, whereas the Belfast version, aside from a deckchair (one of 6 remaining), was more about the construction and shipbuilding in Belfast. It was still well worth it though and included a 6 minute ride which even had a wheelchair accessible car. All the staff were brilliant. Welcoming and helpful, as were the shuttle bus organisers and drivers. 

Back on the ship we tried the deck grill and gelato bar for the first time for a late lunch. 10/10 for both. Just about to leave Belfast now but another enjoyable day. 

P.S. Walked on and off the ship with absolutely no issues today 👍

IMG_2160.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg

IMG_2163.jpeg

IMG_2165.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

Sounds like another really enjoyable day in Belfast, I'd imagine it was nice for your wife to get off the ship for a while also.

Thanks to both yourself and MB2 for your daily postings, both really enjoyable.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Selbourne for your posts. After your Aurora marathon, you said you weren’t going to post much on this voyage - but thank you for your insights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those who haven’t sailed from Liverpool before - on the starboard side at Crosby you can see Anthony Gormley’s ‘Another Place’ sculptures. There are 100 life-size figures on the shore and in the sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

The solution is seat back covers that clearly state “Wheelchair Companions Only”. If I recall correctly, on Iona these were orange and it would take someone who is not with a wheelchair user some real front to ignore those!

These were not on Iona at launch but took over a year to appear from memory.

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

These were not on Iona at launch but took over a year to appear from memory.

Assuming that was as a result of passenger feedback, it’s a shame that Carnival Group don’t learn from these things and share best practice between brands, rather than make the same mistakes again. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Hope that you all have a wonderful day in Liverpool. The weather is forecast to be cloudy with a moderate breeze.

I’m off work today and was planning to come in by train to see the ship, but I’ll need to see how my day pans out. Liverpool is going to be buzzing!
All being well I’ll see her in Southampton next month from the decks of QM2, so if  I don’t have time today I’ll be hopefully be seeing Queen Anne soon. 

Edited by Jules.
Didn’t make sense!
  • Like 5

We are now in Liverpool and, as we hoped, the starboard side is going to be against the berth, as that’s where our balcony is! Fingers crossed we will remain in that orientation when we pull off the berth for the naming festivities.  

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Have a great day in Liverpool everyone 

Plus 1, looking forward to seeing the reports and photos later.

Have a great day to all those onboard.

• Thanks 3

By the way the 5th photo is the guys fixing the bottle for the naming.  Unfortunately tye rainy glass prevented a proper picture - I've been balancing barefoot on a wicker seat somewhat perilously since 5.55am!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We are now in Liverpool and, as we hoped, the starboard side is going to be against the berth, as that’s where our balcony is! Fingers crossed we will remain in that orientation when we pull off the berth for the naming festivities.  

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

@Selbourne We hold the same hopes…this the marvellous view from our balcony astern.  My only niggling thought is that Anne may do a spin when she pulls out for the ceremony, and return to dock portside ready to sail away for the fireworks. 

IMG_6156.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

@Selbourne We hold the same hopes…this the marvellous view from our balcony astern.  My only niggling thought is that Anne may do a spin when she pulls out for the ceremony, and return to dock portside ready to sail away for the fireworks. 

IMG_6156.jpeg

We are already facing the right way for the sail out. We were here last year on QM2 and the port put on a firework display for us, which we had a prime view of from our starboard balcony. We were berthed as we are today (Starboard side). After the fireworks, but prior to departure, we reversed back up to the Cunard building (one of the Three Graces), honked our horn and then proceeded forward. I am hoping that it will be pretty much the same process today, albeit the manoeuvre will happen this afternoon and the fireworks as we eventually leave at 2215. If it does, those of us on the Starboard side will be very well placed, but it may just be wishful thinking on my behalf!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Host Hattie said:

Is that "the" champagne bottle?

Yes.  It was on display last night for photos and they're just taking it through. I watched the guys preparing the "launch pad" at the front this morning at around 6.00am.   Little things are popping up everywhere now. The chefs have just been having a filming session with the cake. It really is a work of art.

20240603_082417.jpg

20240603_082554.jpg

20240603_082617.jpg

• Like 4

I appreciate that I am probably over thinking this, due to my hope that we can see things from our balcony. However, logic says that the ship will remain in this orientation throughout.

There are only 3 options. Starboard to shore, port to shore or bow to shore. The latter would block the Mersey! If we were going to be port to shore, we surely wouldn’t have turned around on arrival. We would have berthed on the port side and then just pulled forward for the festivities, but then we’d have to turn around to dock again.

By far the easiest option from where we are now is to reverse back for the festivities (as we did on QM2), then just pull forward back on to the terminal, from where we proceed forward when we depart.

I shall ask the restaurant to have a slice of humble pie ready for me at dinner if my theory proves to be wrong 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5