Anyone want to guess on price change timing?

wcook

For both 2023 and 2024 Princess has had very nice fares on some cruises to Alaska for inside cabins sailing solo. Current fares for 2025 are much higher. I’m thinking there’s a chance they will eventually lower them. If they do lower prices, anyone have a guess when they might do so. 

Note that I’m well aware 2025 is different than 2023 & 2024; that prices may never come down and could even go up; that nobody here can say if and when they will adjust prices, etc. etc. I’m just looking for fun speculation. 

All answers welcome,

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, wcook said:

For both 2023 and 2024 Princess has had very nice fares on some cruises to Alaska for inside cabins sailing solo. Current fares for 2025 are much higher. I’m thinking there’s a chance they will eventually lower them. If they do lower prices, anyone have a guess when they might do so. 

Note that I’m well aware 2025 is different than 2023 & 2024; that prices may never come down and could even go up; that nobody here can say if and when they will adjust prices, etc. etc. I’m just looking for fun speculation. 

All answers welcome,

Thanks. 

Supply and demand usually dictates pricing changes. 

• Like 1

This is purely anecdotal and have really only tested this twice. I'm finding 2 months before to be a sweet spot. This is after the final payment date when the business office might start panicking. I then watch the prices drop (almost) every week to the point where inventory is starting to look low. Then book it. I seemed to have timed it well for our upcoming July trip as within another week, all that is left are high priced OVs. This is for a Canada/NE trip. But the same thing happened on our Alaska trip last year.

This probably only works since we aren't overly picky about room location. You definitely don't want to wait too long if you have specific needs for a room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still too early.  Attached is the PDF of reduced single supplement voyages that Princess published on 03/03/24.  If you scroll to pages 2 and 3, you'll see that virtually all one way Alaska sailings out of Vancouver for the 2024 season have reduced single supplements.   Round trip Alaska sailings out of Seattle and round trip sailings out of Vancouver, rarely, if ever, have reduced single supplements because these cruises are high in demand (closer to fly to as compared to flying to Anchorage, and for Seattle, cheaper to fly to).  Fares are generally lower on the Grand Class ships because they are older.

I think the 14 day RT, Voyage of the Glaciers are some of the best values.  I don't usually sail single, but we have cruise friend that does and in 2023 my friend was able to snag an inside for $1285, Princess Standard with port/taxes on the Majestic.  Balconies were in the $2500s.  Not bad for a 2 week cruise.

Solo Supplement Voyage List as of March 3 2024.pdf

• Thanks 2

Been doing this a while and we book early and have rarely found prices to go down after booking.  We also don't go for inside cabins either.  We tend to always book balcony cabins.  I think it is very rare for prices to go down unless they are having a problem filling up a ship.  That doesn't seem to be an issue these days.  Just my input.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

May i ask where you found the pdf? I didn't even know one existed!

My friend asks his Princess CVP to email to him.  My friend then forwards to me so I can look at what cruises, if any, interest me and our group of friends, so we can go as a group on a particular sailing.  Not use how often list is updated, but I would say I see one about every 6 months.

• Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Been doing this a while and we book early and have rarely found prices to go down after booking.  We also don't go for inside cabins either.  We tend to always book balcony cabins.  I think it is very rare for prices to go down unless they are having a problem filling up a ship.  That doesn't seem to be an issue these days.  Just my input.

I find after final payment seems to be the sweet spot. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, latebuyer said:

May i ask where you found the pdf? I didn't even know one existed!

Let me add that published reduced solo supplement lists aren't all encompassing.  If theres a sailing that has too much availability, fares and single supplement will drop.  Also worth asking the now controversial Future Cruise Desk onboard for any specially priced voyages, which usually lead to lower single supplements.  Said sailings are usually within 90 days of sailing.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 8:02 AM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Been doing this a while and we book early and have rarely found prices to go down after booking.  

I booked a balcony cabin 18 months out and the fare has dropped 3 times since then. I think it's even lower this weekend but there aren't any cabins available in our section at that price so I haven't been able to verify. 

I get alerts when the fares change and my cruise has had many times when the price for a certain cabin category went up or down. It happens about once a week, in fact.

21 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

When they changed their pricing structure, they claimed they wouldn't be dropping prices, so people who booked earlier would not get burned. That's apparently not happening.

That was only for people who booked within a certain period though.

On 5/26/2024 at 2:19 PM, mahasamatman said:

When they changed their pricing structure, they claimed they wouldn't be dropping prices, so people who booked earlier would not get burned. That's apparently not happening.

I don't hear mention of that anymore; suspect it didn't work out as they'd hoped.

People like sales.

On 5/26/2024 at 2:19 PM, mahasamatman said:

There's the simple economic theory of supply and demand in price determination.  If you have too many empty cabins on a particular sailing (high supply), that means demand is low, and Princess is better off slashing prices to try and drive up demand, rather than sailing with empty cabins.  They don't make money when sailing with empty cabins.

The only entities that really defy this concept are gas and luxury goods.  Everyone is dependent on gas and will pay the going rate as much as it hurts their wallet.  (There's the electric car argument, but it really boils down to even the goods that we purchase; manufacturers/service providers will build in increased gas prices into their prices; thus, the high rates of inflation that were seen the past few years.)  There are some people that will pay crazy amounts of money for luxury goods to have the prestige.  

Unique to Alaska, I often notice significant price reductions last minute (2 months out or so), but they usually only involve inside cabins (maybe some obstructed oceanviews).  It seems the demand for balcony and above for Alaska is higher and I have rarely seen those room categories or above discounted.  So, if you are okay with an inside, there can be some very inviting last minute deals.

I just found when i booked 3 months out on a canada new england cruise that an excursion i really wanted was sold out. And yes private excursion too if you are suggesting that. So i am leery of last minute ones unless not picky about excursions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I get alerts when the fares change and my cruise has had many times when the price for a certain cabin category went up or down. It happens about once a week, in fact.

How do you get fare change alerts?  While I frequently do dummy bookings to see what the pricing is for cruises I've already booked but having a notice automatically would be nicer.

1 minute ago, dreams_of_travel said:

How do you get fare change alerts?  While I frequently do dummy bookings to see what the pricing is for cruises I've already booked but having a notice automatically would be nicer.

There are a number of websites. I use iCruse.com the most. They also try to sell me cruises but I ignore that. 😄 

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much. I never received the text for 19/month but i checked and it was there and i switched. Will i keep all the goodies pm gave me? (I have the 24.00 plan.) I believe its a switch from 3g to 4g too! I wonder if i keep the 40gb bribe pm gave me,